• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Ranger review

trumbulldore

Birdie Member
I looked at a lot of bags before I settled on purchasing the Ranger. I was surprised to come across a lot of disinterest and dislike for this bag. I also have the DIY Embark that has been posted in a couple threads and was using that. For me the extra top storage, with the side storage is what is most important. 600D Polyester is durable enough(seriously what are you guys doing to your bags). The embark is made with the same material and it has no rips, no issues(I didn't even plasti-dip it either). So far i've only got 17 discs, with room for three more. I would suggest buying it. It's a lot smaller and not as boxy as it may or may not seem.

So is this a ranger review thread or a DIY Embark kudos thread?

What didn't you like about the ranger?

600D polyester? hmm? Dont' know much about that, how long have you had that bag? The reason I ask is because you'd be surprised how much abuse a bag takes after a year or so of use.

I just purchased a Ranger on Thursday. It is going to replace my Carolina because I want a more vertical bag so it sits cleaner on my back. Also, I am thinking about piecing together a golf push cart which obviously works better with a vertical bag.

My Ranger looks and feels great, but I only had it out for one serious round so far. I still use a Crunch and NutSac for recreational and fun rounds, but this Ranger better be durable enough for leagues and tournament. I have not sold my Carolina yet, and if I do not find a seller I might just put it in storage just in case. After two years of leagues and tournaments, my Carolina is still in awesome condition with no damage, rips, or tears; just some dirt. I expect no less than that from this Ranger. Do not make me regret passing up the Grip bag that for me would have been 80 dollars more expensive.

I would definitely Plasti-Dip the bottom, the only complaint I've really heard about the Ranger is that the bottom can get worn. Love the design on all the DD bags I've seen so far.

Most every issue I've seen with the Ranger has been fixed as they upgrade them. That's something you usually only get with a custom made bag maker so I think they've really stood by the warranty and replacement on these. I'd only be concerned about using the plastidip if that somehow voids the warranty. I know I can probably do customizing on my grip like I have and still get it replaced if it has a defect. I might ask them at DD next time just for my own knowledge. I've still considered getting a ranger but I'm waiting on a green one if that ever comes. My next bag for sure is a DD soldier as soon as I can.

Most every issue I've seen with the Ranger has been fixed as they upgrade them. That's something you usually only get with a custom made bag maker so I think they've really stood by the warranty and replacement on these. I'd only be concerned about using the plastidip if that somehow voids the warranty. I know I can probably do customizing on my grip like I have and still get it replaced if it has a defect. I might ask them at DD next time just for my own knowledge. I've still considered getting a ranger but I'm waiting on a green one if that ever comes. My next bag for sure is a DD soldier as soon as I can.

Steeze,

Do you know if the Grey/Black or Red/Black have the upgrades that were done to the newer run? These are the colors I like and am about to purchase one since GRIP wanted to repair my 1st run bag instead of giving me a new one. I refused to get a patch put over a hole on the grip that the plastic bottom caused due to it wearing out.

Steeze,

Do you know if the Grey/Black or Red/Black have the upgrades that were done to the newer run? These are the colors I like and am about to purchase one since GRIP wanted to repair my 1st run bag instead of giving me a new one. I refused to get a patch put over a hole on the grip that the plastic bottom caused due to it wearing out.

No I don't. I imagine all new bags going out the door would be the new models otherwise they'd just probably get some angry calls when an older bag arrived. I'd give them a call and ask before you ordered just to be certain though.

Steeze,

I asked. Currently the only ones with all the new mods are the two blue (fracture, quasar) and the yellow. So if you like the others they will have the less reinforced bottom but still able to be replaced if you have issues.

600D polyester? hmm? Dont' know much about that, how long have you had that bag? The reason I ask is because you'd be surprised how much abuse a bag takes after a year or so of use.

Sorry Rib, I have been busy with class and unable to check back here. I was talking about the ranger....I play 4-5 times a week, 2 rounds everytime at least. My Ranger is showing no signs of wear or tear whatsoever and we've had mud, snow, hard ground, soft ground, rain. It may be only 600D, but it holds up well. I was saying that my embark bag was made from the same material and saw worse abuse and was fine. I carry 18-20 discs in the main compartment and a condor(for rollers) and towels in the top. Also have a stool water bottle as well, Only complaint I have about the bag really is that the putter pocket may hold two discs, but if you want to get a putter in and out then only put 1 disc in there. I keep a putter and beat in driver for rollers in the putter pocket and that is thick enough I'll post pics

Last edited:

Sorry Rib, I have been busy with class and unable to check back here. I was talking about the ranger....I play 3-5 times a week, 2 rounds everytime at least. My Ranger is showing no signs of wear or tear whatsoever and we've had mud, snow, hard ground, soft ground, rain. It may be only 600D, but it holds up well. I was saying that my embark bag was made from the same material and saw worse abuse and was fine with no signs of wear. I carry 18 discs in the main compartment two discs up top and towels in the top. Also have a stool and water bottle as well, Only complaint I have about the bag really is that the putter pocket may hold two putters, but if you want to get a putter in and out easily then only put 1 disc in there. I keep a putter and beat in driver for rollers in the putter pocket and that allows me to carry two discs in the putter pocket, but also allow me to pull my putter in and out.

I just bought one the other day, and I have questions about the top compartment. Do you have it flipped up or pulled down. Also what way does the bottom plastic of the top compartment sit as I took it out and dont know if i got it back in correctly. And another worry is the back when you reach under the top compartment from the inside of the bag I can feel the shell and its kind of got wrinkles in it and the velcro doesn't line up.

I asked. Currently the only ones with all the new mods are the two blue (fracture, quasar) and the yellow. So if you like the others they will have the less reinforced bottom but still able to be replaced if you have issues.

That's good news because I just ordered a fracture blue, I was thinking to myself....I hope the upgrades are on that one.

I emailed DD about the modifications they made and dipping the bag, I asked if it would void the warranty but he didn't respond to that portion of the question. This is what the guy said:

"The bottom was the main upgrade on the three new colors. We did experience some issues with the bottom fabric, but we feel those have been resolved with the latest upgrades.

I wouldn't recommend dipping the bottom in liquid/spray on rubber.
Your bag is covered under the warranty if the bottom fails.
Please let us know if you have any other questions."

On what the new colors are: another guy I talked to from the FB page had this to say:

"Each time a new color selection has been produced there were some slight modifications to help improve the build. The newest colors available are Quasar Blue, Strilux Yellow, and Fracture Blue."

"Each time a new color selection has been produced there were some slight modifications to help improve the build. The newest colors available are Quasar Blue, Strilux Yellow, and Fracture Blue."

Yeah I have the fracture blue and I live in OH, we have had crap ass weather and it shows no signs of wear at all whatsoever I've played a total of at least 15+ rounds since I've received it. I don't abuse it but I don't treat it with kid gloves and I've seen no problem. my only complaint is the main pocket only holds roughly 18 discs comfortably, I carry a condor and backup putter up top, and my putter and a roller driver in the putter side quiver to bring the total up to 21. The breakdown in the main pocket is 7 mids/putters and 10 drivers/fairway, if I carried less mids/putters in the main I could definitely fit 20 discs featuring more drivers/fairway drivers easily. Good bag for the money.

I'll say this. I got my red/black (the second run) Ranger before the beginning of the summer last year. Through out the summer I played 4-5 "practice" rounds a week, sometimes more, plus 2 league rounds a week as well. So roughly six to seven 20 hole rounds a week for a solid 4 months. My Ranger still looks like it did when I first got it. No noticeable wear or tear any where on the bag. Very happy with my Ranger bag purchase and I will be buying another Ranger if/when the time comes.

I keep thinking I want one of these. But I keep talking myself out of it. I do need to upgrade to something with more space. But why spend 175 when I can spend 50 or something? But. They look so nice. Especially the Gray/Yellow. But I'd also need to buy a few discs to fill it better. I can't be buying discs all the time.

Someone convince me to save my money. Or to buy one :p

How would 4 putters, 4 midranges, 3 fairways, 4 control drivers, and 3 Vipers fit? Vipers are shaped a bit funny. This is with one of the four putters in the putter pocket, for super easy grabbing. Would I be able to slide a max D type disc or two in the main compartment, if I ever get to the point where I get something out of them? Or would something have to be moved to the top pocket? Someone has to have a bunch of extra discs lying around to test for me :p

Last edited:
Well. I got impatient.

Strilux Yellow, order placed. Goodbye, money.

I'm excited :D

Well. I got impatient.

Strilux Yellow, order placed. Goodbye, money.

I'm excited :D

I was going to suggest you wait on the soldier bag but then I counted your discs and figured you would fill that up quickly so the Ranger is a better option I think. You won't be disappointed. They look great and have all the newest modifications. I get pretty jealous of all my friends who have the ranger bag because of that top storage and the lighter overall weight. Still enjoy my grip and I got the extra water storage and rainfly but those don't really benefit me as much anymore. I've talked myself out of a new ranger many times. I'm going to wait on the soldier bag and probably use it for tournaments this year. I'll buy the ranger when they do a fracture green for sure. :D

I was going to suggest you wait on the soldier bag but then I counted your discs and figured you would fill that up quickly so the Ranger is a better option I think. You won't be disappointed. They look great and have all the newest modifications. I get pretty jealous of all my friends who have the ranger bag because of that top storage and the lighter overall weight. Still enjoy my grip and I got the extra water storage and rainfly but those don't really benefit me as much anymore. I've talked myself out of a new ranger many times. I'm going to wait on the soldier bag and probably use it for tournaments this year. I'll buy the ranger when they do a fracture green for sure. :D

If there had been green, I probably would have gone for it. But you know a Strilux Green would be cooler than a Fracture Green :p

Latest posts