• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

I would bag an Eagle if I could find a current production FLAT Star or Champ Eagle. I have some older opaque 12x and 11x Eagles that are flat (or close to it). They're great for forehand shots. All the new premium plastic Eagles seem to have a decent amount of dome to them. I would love to use Eagles as my primary sidearm fairway driver. I just hate throwing domey discs forehand. If I throw domey discs sidearm they always seem to come out with wobble. So for now I'm flicking Firebirds, Thunderbirds and Teebird3s.

I agree a Egale 3 would be a nice disc to have, a nearly flat top disc that has micro dome the problem that majority of Champion and Star Eagles have at the moment. DX can find them but does not last as long in the right flight.

Maybe they'll make an Eagle3, or Infinite can put out an Exodus3... :popcorn:

I have a star Eagle L (Exodus) that is definitely flat for an Eagle. Not FAF flat but nearly no dome to it.

I vote against the idea of an Exodus3 though.....do we really need any more Eagle confusion out there?

The last few times I have been in the store I did tell them to get a Banshee3 top made to put on an Exodus wing so they could have their own OS fairway, hopefully I bug them enough to get the ball rolling.

I see flatter Eagles in new production on occasion, but never Banshees as flat as I like them.

I have a star Eagle L (Exodus) that is definitely flat for an Eagle. Not FAF flat but nearly no dome to it.

I vote against the idea of an Exodus3 though.....do we really need any more Eagle confusion out there?

The last few times I have been in the store I did tell them to get a Banshee3 top made to put on an Exodus wing so they could have their own OS fairway, hopefully I bug them enough to get the ball rolling.

I see flatter Eagles in new production on occasion, but never Banshees as flat as I like them.

I haven't seen any flat Banshees, either. But I really haven't been looking for any; my Champ Banshees fly just like I want them to.

The Banshee3 sounds interesting. What, are we talking MOAB or Trident kind of overstable, here?

Banshee3 is just to correct crappy Innova quality control. Older Banshee's were always flattish, new ones never. As long as it isn't whoever made the Teebird3 top cause they are still domey.

Never thrown a MOAB but I am sure a Banshee should never be that stable. Tridents are all over the place stability wise, the last one I had wore in to fly like a beat Eagle X, high speed turn with a descent fade.

I always say a good Banshee is a Firebird for those that have no business throwing a Firebird (which, I think, is about 75% of people throwing Firebirds).

Yes. The Banshees now are horridly domey. A flat Banshee is right there with a MOAB honestly, except feels and throws more like a driver. A more user-friendly Firebird is a great way to describe a flat Banshee.

Banshee3 is just to correct crappy Innova quality control. Older Banshee's were always flattish, new ones never. As long as it isn't whoever made the Teebird3 top cause they are still domey.

Never thrown a MOAB but I am sure a Banshee should never be that stable. Tridents are all over the place stability wise, the last one I had wore in to fly like a beat Eagle X, high speed turn with a descent fade.

I always say a good Banshee is a Firebird for those that have no business throwing a Firebird (which, I think, is about 75% of people throwing Firebirds).

That would be me. I have a couple of Champ Banshees, one in the mid-160-class and one in the 150s. Love 'em both. Great for when I need a hyzer or into-headwinds disc. I don't use the Banshee a lot, but I'm glad it's in the bag when I do need it.

I have 2 spots in my bag and am thinking of adding the Eagle. Maybe an X and an L, probably not looking to cycle these. What premium plastic runs of these would be best? I don't mind older/rare stuff as long as we're under 35$

Last edited:
Today I found a crack right in the middle of the flight plate. Hard to tell with the crappy phone camera. This eagle will soar no longer.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_233039127.jpg
    IMG_20180514_233039127.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 221
Today I found a crack right in the middle of the flight plate. Hard to tell with the crappy phone camera. This eagle will soar no longer.
attachment.php

Time to give that friend a well-deserved retirement.

Don't know if this means anything, but when I find cracked and discarded discs on the course, they're usually old Eagles. Coincidence? Who knows...

I've found a lot too and they are usually really old. Either they have been left ynfound for years or were bagged so long that failure became inevitable.

Sorry for your loss.

I have 2 spots in my bag and am thinking of adding the Eagle. Maybe an X and an L, probably not looking to cycle these. What premium plastic runs of these would be best? I don't mind older/rare stuff as long as we're under 35$

My favorite X's are regular run stars. I don't seek out specific runs or anything. Champs are usually more stable but when I get to that stability I just throw a Banshee.

The best L's are the old pre-flight numbers with pat #'s, they are not too expensive. I have been throwing Exodus for this slot and it is just as good I think (it is a star eagle L). G Star L's are good also if you can find the flatter ones (a lot came out with ridiculous domes, but I have a few flatter ones).

Re: Banshees.

I'm in the camp that thinks some really OS Eagle X's are basically identical to [new domey] Banshees in flight. I'm thinking of the circle stamp JL run they did for the factory store a few years back. At max weight, even after 2 years of seasoning, the one I bag still doesn't flip for me. With power, will fly a nice glidey straight-to-fade OS flight. 7/5/0/3. Very easy to place if you have room to work that line.

I actually have some nice pat # Banshees that I'll swap into my bag interchangeably with the OS EX slot. Actually, some of the lighter (~165g) Banshees will show a touch of HST more than the heavy Eagle X's. But, these are more recent and domey than some of the older Banshees, like the "Distance Driver" stamped ones or the 10x KC Pros. Those older flat ones really do approach FAF FB overstability. (But you still have the speed difference, obviously, so I'd never say that any Eagle or Banshee is really "just like" a Firebird.)

My favorite X's are regular run stars. I don't seek out specific runs or anything. Champs are usually more stable but when I get to that stability I just throw a Banshee.

The best L's are the old pre-flight numbers with pat #'s, they are not too expensive. I have been throwing Exodus for this slot and it is just as good I think (it is a star eagle L). G Star L's are good also if you can find the flatter ones (a lot came out with ridiculous domes, but I have a few flatter ones).

11X eagle Ls are probably my favorite fairway driver when I can find them used. The price on these are starting to get pretty rough though. There just aren't a ton of them out there but there's enough of us trying to grab a stack of extras.

New ones in decent colors are selling in the $40-50 range on ebay. I used to be able to get used ones for $20 or less but those days seem to be over.

I'm hoping the exodus can be a long-term replacement. Hopefully we see a color glow version soon but I'm not holding my breath.

^ Yeah, the flat opaque champ L's are money. They beat into the sweet hyzer-flip lazer spot, and then just stay there forever.

I think some of the "Twelve Time" stamps were of the same batch as the 11x, or at least very similar. Maybe even some of the earliest "12X" stamps (with flight numbers! :eek: ) Basically all of the flat opaque champs fly great for me; not too hung up on specific stamps within that era. (For throwing, obviously. Collector value varies greatly between those stamps.)

Not sure if the Exodus, in modern star, will have quite the same longevity in the nicely seasoned stage. I'm very lucky to have a generous benefactor with a baller stash of Eagle L's, so I don't know that I'll be looking to stockpile Exodii any time soon.

^ Yeah, the flat opaque champ L's are money. They beat into the sweet hyzer-flip lazer spot, and then just stay there forever.

I think some of the "Twelve Time" stamps were of the same batch as the 11x, or at least very similar. Maybe even some of the earliest "12X" stamps (with flight numbers! :eek: ) Basically all of the flat opaque champs fly great for me; not too hung up on specific stamps within that era. (For throwing, obviously. Collector value varies greatly between those stamps.)

Not sure if the Exodus, in modern star, will have quite the same longevity in the nicely seasoned stage. I'm very lucky to have a generous benefactor with a baller stash of Eagle L's, so I don't know that I'll be looking to stockpile Exodii any time soon.

I have some early 12X and they feel/fly very similar to the 11X. Definitely feels like the same run.

I like the Exodus, also. It flies better than my Star Eagle-L, and it (the Exodus) just has a nice smooth flight that just seems to agree with me (and agree more than the Eagle).

Eagle-L's are kind of a pain for me to find b/c like others I much prefer flat ones and all I ever seem to run into are domey. If I were starting an Eagle cycle I'd probably get a Champ, Star, and a DX Eagle X and just make sure the Star didn't have a particularly high PLH so it doesn't overlap the Champ much. Getting a Star EX to beat into that EL spot is really where it's at.

Latest posts