• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Eagle McMahon 2017 (midseason) WITB

SD86

Banned
Good new WITB from Eagle McMahon after making some changes in his bag (explanations in the video):

So wait, he played the BSF with almost all new discs including his putting putters and took 3rd??! That is super impressive. And what's the story with him giving away most of his discs to "some guy in the Czech Republic" after Conopiste?? It sounds like there's more of a story there what he said.

So wait, he played the BSF with almost all new discs including his putting putters and took 3rd??! That is super impressive. And what's the story with him giving away most of his discs to "some guy in the Czech Republic" after Conopiste?? It sounds like there's more of a story there what he said.

There isn't. Eagle is a very emo kid. He got upset about how he was performing (not just Konopiste) so he gave all his discs away and went back home to recollect his thoughts.

"I gave away all my discs to some guy in the Czech Republic"

Translation: "I threw my whole bag into the woods in frustration."

Jk. I really dig Eagle. Exciting player to watch. Personable. Vegan (more meat for the less disciplined.)

Translation: "I threw my whole bag into the woods in frustration."

That's exactly where my brain went as soon as I heard it too. Still, I don't know if that's possible since he kept a few discs and talked about how he had to think hard about whether to keep others.

Notroman do you have a source on that? Were you at Konopiste or talked to someone who was there? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where the info came from.

That's exactly where my brain went as soon as I heard it too. Still, I don't know if that's possible since he kept a few discs and talked about how he had to think hard about whether to keep others.

Notroman do you have a source on that? Were you at Konopiste or talked to someone who was there? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where the info came from.

He mentioned it in his previous vlogs.

edit - This vlog specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08F7tZk8Jyw

Last edited:
He and Simon don't seem too attached to specific plastic. Simon tends to have discs that are usually a few months old. These guys throw so hard they don't have to find flippy PD2's or anything, and as far as I think a putter is a putter. It's not like they are switching molds, I don't doubt that he could put in a couple weeks with new discs (but they are the same molds...) and be 100% confident.

It was definitely cool to see him throw those PD's in the Beaver State Fling videos. I can see how they would be versatile discs if you throw that hard.

He and Simon don't seem too attached to specific plastic. Simon tends to have discs that are usually a few months old. These guys throw so hard they don't have to find flippy PD2's or anything, and as far as I think a putter is a putter. It's not like they are switching molds, I don't doubt that he could put in a couple weeks with new discs (but they are the same molds...) and be 100% confident.

It was definitely cool to see him throw those PD's in the Beaver State Fling videos. I can see how they would be versatile discs if you throw that hard.

I have had the same thought in terms of him and Simon throwing a lot of very overstable plastic. With some of his discs like the PD2's, it's true. However, he definitely favors certain runs of PD for stability, and even Eagle has some more neutral to flippy discs in his bag such as some of his FD's and MD3's. It looks like he replaced his 2nd run FD with FD3's now, and I wonder if that's b/c he couldn't find anyone to give him another 2nd run FD.

During the first round of the BSF, I saw him throw an incredible anny on hole 15 West. It's 400 feet that plays up a hill with a wide backhand hyzer gap that is pretty hard to reach the basket with because of late trees, and a very small gap on the other side way down the fairway that usually you only see lefties or guys with really strong forehands go for. Eagle threw a monster backhand anny and parked it with one of his MD3's. It was an incredible shot considering that no one else came close to parking it, not even Ricky (who threw a forehand, caught a tree, and none-the-less made a monster 60 foot putt up hill for the deuce). It seems like a shot like that would really require you to have the (under)stability of that disc dialed in (and Eagle tried the same thing and faded out early in the 3rd round so I guess he didn't have it completely dialed either).

No summary...boo

All the better to have you watch it for yourself, moohahahaha.... :eek: ;)

Eagle did not give away ALL his discs. Also, players often get new putters; McBeth seems to have different colored McPro Aviars every tournament, so he's switching them out. Also, last year McBeth gave away a lot of his discs after one of the European tournaments (to his young caddy and other kids, mostly, IIRC), and I figured it was so he didn't have to ship them back home, but I dunno for sure.

But Eagle giving away discs is not the first time I've heard of that happening. And if he wanted to re-evaluate and re-do his bag to align more closely with his game, it sounds like he's been thinking about it like a pro should think about it...

It's also important to think about how quickly anyone can get used to new discs when they get to play almost every day.

When I was in college and played a lot, it didn't take long to break in plastic and feel comfortable with it. Now that I play 5-10 times per year, I almost never change out a disc.

Time on course (or doing fieldwork) is directly correlated to how quickly you can swap out your bag and feel comfortable.

It amazes me how much dgcr users place emphasis on the disc and not the archer. Eagle could score close to average with rummaging through a used bin at PIAS closest to the nearest tournament course.

Its not that impressive that he played so well with new discs, he took a couple weeks off, skipped Utah Open. You think he just sat on his thumbs? He was using these new discs for weeks before the BSF.. It's not like he had a bag full of Discraft. He knew how the discs threw and he got plenty of practice with them before the Fling. And he probably realized that trying to get first and second run discs is silly when he has his pick of any new run of Discmania he wants and can make them work for what he needs.

Also, random thought, but I'm convinced Eagle can throw so far because he trains at altitude here in CO. It's a lot harder to throw far at altitude than at sea lvl. Gotta learn how to crush.

Its not that impressive that he played so well with new discs, he took a couple weeks off, skipped Utah Open. You think he just sat on his thumbs? He was using these new discs for weeks before the BSF.. It's not like he had a bag full of Discraft. He knew how the discs threw and he got plenty of practice with them before the Fling. And he probably realized that trying to get first and second run discs is silly when he has his pick of any new run of Discmania he wants and can make them work for what he needs.

Yeah but then he happened to try a 1st run PD and was hooked again :D

Yeah but then he happened to try a 1st run PD and was hooked again :D

If you ever watched the video where he gives a tour of his house, he shows the bins of discs he keeps in a shed. For almost anything he throws, new or old, he's got a stack of back ups on hand.

It amazes me how much dgcr users place emphasis on the disc and not the archer. Eagle could score close to average with rummaging through a used bin at PIAS closest to the nearest tournament course.

Paul McBeth had his bag stolen midway through a tournament a while back. Had all new discs in the replacement bag. Still managed to make a playoff (which he lost).

Latest posts