• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

I would think insurance for a pro athlete is also higher than most other occupations. I know Afflack won't accept you if you are or voids the contract, or maybe they have a different policy for athletes.

I do wonder how many touring pros are not "hurt/on the bench", but harboring minor injuries and "sucking it up" throughout the season.

That's just the life of an athlete. I've been mildly competitive in or very invested in/close to like 5 sports in my life and almost everyone at the top is dealing with something, like 80% of the time it's too minor for them to even mention, 15% of the time it's an issue they're working around and 5% it's sidelining them.

If you decide to (try to) become a top athlete in a sport then you're making the decision to sacrifice your health in some way and have to deal with a ton of minor injuries and possibly a few major ones.

Eagle DNF'd this week due to his shoulder again and pulled out the next few events until EO and going to see orthopedic. Hopefully the Bird's wing doesn't end up like Will S.

Heard Kyle Klein dealing with back issue.

Paul McBeth's latest performance has me wondering if he injured, he was dealing with finger issue before.

Or just don't fake a backhand 360 into a forehand 360 and **** up your shoulder. Hopefully Eagle comes back because he is really one of a kind.

Eagle DNF'd this week due to his shoulder again and pulled out the next few events until EO and going to see orthopedic. Hopefully the Bird's wing doesn't end up like Will S.

Heard Kyle Klein dealing with back issue.

Paul McBeth's latest performance has me wondering if he injured, he was dealing with finger issue before.

I don't think people realize just how many finger issues players on tour deal with.

Or just don't fake a backhand 360 into a forehand 360 and **** up your shoulder. Hopefully Eagle comes back because he is really one of a kind.
That was so so so innocuous. If *that* hurt his shoulder, his shoulder was gonna get there anyway (and sooner rather than later).

I don't know how most people view it, but as much as I like parity, I also like it when you have a couple of "big bads" on the scene, even if it is part of a "changing of the guard." This year feels weird because while Calvin is crushing, you don't have the commensurate Ricky, Paul, and Eagle trio in the dogfight. I do really enjoy the others bubbling up and the new energy it brings, but it doesn't feel great when it's because people are going down for one reason or another rather than being beaten at the peak of their game.

Eagle's situation makes me really sad. This guy is something unreal and a generational talent, and it's really unfortunate to think that some issues with his mechanics (I.e., potentially not just the isolated 360 as ChrisWoj or SW strongly suspect) could permanently have put an injury-induced ceiling on him. Sure, he could maybe have made different choices in a few respects along the way. But in the end I just want to see him out there doing what he could do best. It was fun to see him do things that no one else on the planet could.

Somehow it makes me even sadder that this guy had an upbringing centered around disc golf, reached the peak of his game, and then may have had that wing clipped early. I have a lot of sympathy for someone I've never met right now.

I really hope whatever's lingering has a resolution. I fear it doesn't, and that's a genuine shame. And I'd really love it if disc golf had the specialized high-end medical knowledge and facilities and experts that e.g. the MLB enjoys. I can't help but think we've entered the phase where the physical talents and demands at the top of the sport are well past the skis of the resources that most players have to support them.

If it ends with the top players of the game succumbing to injury, on the one hand that's sports sometimes. On the other, it just makes me sad.

We've seen professional MLB pitchers who work with the top trainers get injuries from throwing with weird styles and too hard.

I also have the feeling that the 360 FH might have been the ultimate focal point for the injury, but it was probably caused by throwing too hard or with weird mechanics.

He should see a surgeon and just bite the bullet.

It doesn't seem like its going to heal with physical therapy at this point.

This one might be worth a look now that his shoulder was injured once again.

I really feel for the guy. He restrained himself so many times from using his forehand. He also makes a serious effort to improve his health like the stint in switzerland with Simon and rehab of his shoulder and still can't use one of his best shots. And still, he ends up getting hurt to a point he can't play.

Young guns throwing hard and far usually seem to pay for it while still in their prime.

Keep it smooth and shave some distance. It's better for your body.

Agreed - and it would help if course designers stopped making the courses so long, some events seem like the average hole is 650+ feet, so the players have to go big off the tee on most holes, and doing that every/most weekends taxes the body.

Then you get the designer that is really into forehand/anhyzer lines, and then the players have to throw lots of power forehands. I have always thought of Oregon disc golf as being very forehand and roller centric, and why I am not in a rush to travel there.

The first St Judes in Seaside, CA was ridiculous, it was on a ball golf course, and Jussi designed the layout for the event, and said "I made the course Simon-proof". It was insanely long, Simon played like a junior AM, and was actually braiding his girlfriend's hair on the third tee, his mind was not in the game, and Jussi really screwed the event by making the layout way too long. On the first tee, a big crush would get you from the ball golf men's/championship teebox to the ball golf women's/red tee box.

Agreed. Not until he tries surgery to fix it am I going to think its never gonna get better. Ive always thought he should have gone into surgery right when it happened. But what do I know.

Fwiw, Anttila, who seems like the top EUR youngin (though not week in and week out), doesnt really throw all that far. Just far enough to compete. Awesome short game, incredible putter when on, and mental game up the wazoo.