• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eliminating speed 7 discs from my game?

For me, tee bird is often a go to in headwind. It just goes straight at so many different speeds. It's the easy button.

My last 7 speed was a Star Leopard3, and it was my workhorse until I lost it back in the summer. Didn't bother to replace it because I was flipping my bag to MVP/Axiom and was actually getting more out of the 6-speeds than the leopard, and the leopard was getting used less.

For woods golf I keep my bag loaded with 5,6, 9, and one 8 speed. Taking out my higher speeds 12-14 except for two of them that fly straight and stable. Just the opposite for an open course with wind, take the lower speeds out except for my plasma's which I have four, and whatever else I can take after fitting in the higher speeds. I like my lower speeds heavy, except for 2 of them all in the 170's, the heaviest a Plasma Pyro at 179g. The heavier weight to stay on the line in the woods, in the open wind more stable.

Last edited:
At this point, I don't make sweeping disc proclamations. I cannot afford to just eliminate speeds, weights or stability groups. Well, I guess I don't bag a selection of high speed, very stable discs. But, I do have one as a utility/skipping disc.

Disc bags and matrix, building your bag and changing your bag.

These are super topics. And let me tell you that whatever you think is the right answer is completely wrong.
Here is why. There is no perfect bag, there is only a perfect bag for how your playing in that moment.

The idea of using a matrix to build your bag needs to be taken, crumbled up and thrown out or burned.

If you have a few discs, don't be afraid to switch your bag around and pull out discs that are not working, and try other discs.

I need to make a video on it, but I call it the "core bag concept."

I'm sure everyone here has 1 or 2 discs that will NEVER leave their bag. Ever, they might get a new one, they might carry a new and an old, they might carry 3 or 4 of them.

There will always be discs that you just always fall back on, build around those to what you are struggling with or doing well with at the time.

Sometimes I might really roll putter heavy, or mid heavy, fairway heavy, or even 9/10 speed heavy.

Right now I'm in a mid heavy game again. Why? I'm enjoying throwing them and throwing them really well, why would I want to worry about what speed discs are in my bag when I can fill my bag with a bunch of discs that are doing well for me?

This whole notion of having to fill every shot shape slot type and all that when you're building out your discs is absolute poppycock too.

Speed on a disc is important, but its an absolutely silly concept. Speed of the disc doesn't have much to do with how far a disc flys, I mean, It does, but it doesn't.
Were throwing 3 speed putters 450 feet.
Tell me how speed matters on your discs distance?
Waiting.
yeah, it's a false hope.

So you're not throwing 7's right now. Cool. Throw those 9 speeds then.

The right discs for your bag are always the discs that are working for your game right now.
That is the final answer always.

Just remember to throw in a few dumb discs that might get you out of trouble. you know, sort of... "tilt" the scales a bit....

okay, bad jokes aside, good day.

The core bag is a solid concept. It's something I've been running with for years.... The plastics might change but the molds do not, I Anchor my bag with stuff I can put in the fairway or cover most of my shots, for me it's envy (x3), uplink or comet, relay, tesla (x2+). Tried a 3 mold core bag but two drivers is necessary for success, a more neutral putter/anhyzer disc and long distance drivers are outlier accessories.

The relay is a speed 6 the Rhythm is a speed 7 with almost the same numbers. Well honestly I don't really care between the six and the seven wha the speed rating is.. I just know that I can use the relay on a lot of shots all the way down to mid-range speed and all the way up to straight long distance drives or turnovers. I can honk on the rhythm just a little harder with a little fudge factor.. I guess the point is I can't eliminate a 6/7 speed driver from my bag, it's just too useful as a utilitarian thrower especially on those mid/driver distance decisions at my power level.

My speed levels ITB are 0,2,5,6,7,9 (11 sometimes) looks silly when you lay it out but I guess I'm a 567 kinda guy. I'm doing my best work under 300' (... all my work :D :D )

There is no perfect bag, there is only a perfect bag for how your playing in that moment.

The idea of using a matrix to build your bag needs to be taken, crumbled up and thrown out or burned.

I like the comment about the only perfect bag being one for how you are currently playing. That's how I built my bag and how I will keep or change out discs. I also go to a field and test out discs to see how they fly....does disc X fit a need or does disc Y fit that spot? I have a disc in my bag that I hope I never need to use, but I have had to....it's sole purpose is for when I need to scramble and my only option is a throw under very low branches....I have a disc with a very flat top that will slide or skip under branches if needed. Since the discussion is primarily about 7 speeds - I have four of them in my bag.....all four serve different purposes/flights; but the numbers are very similar.

I do like the idea of websites that have matrixes to 'build a bag'. I use two of them to see if there might be something for me to take to the field and see if it can work for me. I've gotten suggestions for discs that have worked and some that haven't. So matrixes can have a place in building a bag...as long as they aren't considered "God's truth".

These recent posts have been great (can you hear my head nodding along?)

My current bag is 1 / 3 / 5 / 6 / 6.5 / 7 / 8 / 11

It should be pretty clear from them how much I like "fairways" (as a generic label). They go from flippy Signals through straight Craves, to more a stable Rhythm (five discs in total, and any of them could be used for the shot, depending on factors like wind, elevation, room I have to work, groundplay, etc. And it's always a work in progress - currently waiting on a few heavier/different plastic Craves to see if they push the Rhythm out).

By the way - the speed 8 is a stupidly overstable Volt that covers utility shots and very hard headwinds. It's nothing like the numbers say it's supposed to be...which is why thinking in terms of numbers will quickly lead to heartbreak ... and buying more discs (guilty).

I like the comment about the only perfect bag being one for how you are currently playing. That's how I built my bag and how I will keep or change out discs. I also go to a field and test out discs to see how they fly....does disc X fit a need or does disc Y fit that spot? I have a disc in my bag that I hope I never need to use, but I have had to....it's sole purpose is for when I need to scramble and my only option is a throw under very low branches....I have a disc with a very flat top that will slide or skip under branches if needed. Since the discussion is primarily about 7 speeds - I have four of them in my bag.....all four serve different purposes/flights; but the numbers are very similar.

I do like the idea of websites that have matrixes to 'build a bag'. I use two of them to see if there might be something for me to take to the field and see if it can work for me. I've gotten suggestions for discs that have worked and some that haven't. So matrixes can have a place in building a bag...as long as they aren't considered "God's truth".

It was more of a people relying on them to heavily to build their bag and "fill holes" when most of those holes are there due to skill level, not missing discs.

There is definitely a place for them, but they cannot help you if you dont have the skill to throw the discs youre putting in your bag because of them.

It's a touchy subject when you get that complex though.

The core bag is a solid concept. It's something I've been running with for years.... The plastics might change but the molds do not, I Anchor my bag with stuff I can put in the fairway or cover most of my shots, for me it's envy (x3), uplink or comet, relay, tesla (x2+). Tried a 3 mold core bag but two drivers is necessary for success, a more neutral putter/anhyzer disc and long distance drivers are outlier accessories.

The relay is a speed 6 the Rhythm is a speed 7 with almost the same numbers. Well honestly I don't really care between the six and the seven wha the speed rating is.. I just know that I can use the relay on a lot of shots all the way down to mid-range speed and all the way up to straight long distance drives or turnovers. I can honk on the rhythm just a little harder with a little fudge factor.. I guess the point is I can't eliminate a 6/7 speed driver from my bag, it's just too useful as a utilitarian thrower especially on those mid/driver distance decisions at my power level.

My speed levels ITB are 0,2,5,6,7,9 (11 sometimes) looks silly when you lay it out but I guess I'm a 567 kinda guy. I'm doing my best work under 300' (... all my work :D :D )

I can practically throw any course with a tesla and an envy.
The tesla never leaves my bag because of its versatility and power for shot shaping, control and distance.

Sheep, I like your core bag concept and found myself independently working toward a similar ideology before I heard you coin the term.

In one post, I spoke about how the sidewinder is a core disc for me and that it feels like home. I said that I use it for every release angle and hill grade.

I am trying to establish other discs that spark joy, that I will always carry.

I can practically throw any course with a tesla and an envy.
The tesla never leaves my bag because of its versatility and power for shot shaping, control and distance.

I like the concept but there's definitely a gap there, :D you need something midrange capable. Uplink or relay. Or leopard if you swing that way.

You need a 7 speed in there....

I'll preface this by saying that I used to learn heavily on speed 7 discs.

Lately I've found that they don't come out of my bag all that often.

Shots where I would have thrown an FD or Crave or Teebird or something similar in the past seem to be replaced with either a powered up mid or a powered down speed 9 disc. I love throwing putters and mids and I love the way a 9 speed rim feels in my hand.

Does anyone else jump gaps like that or am I just crazy and it's going to wreck my scores?

This seems random. But you got me thinking. I carry 3 mids, however on my local course I rarely use them. I find that a P&A or a fairway driver will cover most of my needs.

However there are other courses where I use my mids more and my fairway drivers less.

I like the concept but there's definitely a gap there, :D you need something midrange capable. Uplink or relay. Or leopard if you swing that way.

You need a 7 speed in there....

Dude.

Envy = All the things.
I don't need an uplink or a relay.

Envy is a midrange in disguise.

I can honestly throw more shot shapes with an envy than practically any other disc. The only one I can match with it is my ohm/pilots, and thats just cause the flight is "similar" but it's not confused as to if its a midrange or a putter. The pilot/ohm know they are putters.

This seems random. But you got me thinking. I carry 3 mids, however on my local course I rarely use them. I find that a P&A or a fairway driver will cover most of my needs.

However there are other courses where I use my mids more and my fairway drivers less.

One of the hardest things to teach people is to stop thinking that you need high speed discs to throw most of the shots.

Can you? sure, should you? Sometimes.

I constantly keep hearing from a guy I play with all the time "I cannot throw my buzz that far"

He can, I've seen him do it a lot as he blows passed the basket on upshots.

Forcing yoruself to learn to throw mids/putters further and more accurately with higher control really makes a huge change in your game. Because it gives you the high speed option, vs it being the only option.

Most of anyones shot/disc selection is due to confidence or lack of practice.

To many people think they need a 12 speed disc to throw 300 feet.

And, guy above, wants to throw slower discs further ,but he doesnt' ever try.

Sorry if that sounds ranty or ... some weird attack, I'm in a weird mood this morning. it was more conversation not a critisism of your play.

Sheep, I like your core bag concept and found myself independently working toward a similar ideology before I heard you coin the term.

In one post, I spoke about how the sidewinder is a core disc for me and that it feels like home. I said that I use it for every release angle and hill grade.

I am trying to establish other discs that spark joy, that I will always carry.

It's on my "to do" list.
I've shot the video once previously at my old apartment a few years ago, but the camera I was using had focus issues, so it kept auto focusing in the middle of the video and ruined the footage.

I shot my pound bag review 4 times trying to get the focus to lock and .. yeah.
ugh.

I got better gear for video since then, plus all the stuff I use for filming at work. Actually have the high speed camera here right now too.

It's just getting the lighting good in my office here to shoot stuff like that and making sure I got a script vs "top of the head" like I normally do.

One of the hardest things to teach people is to stop thinking that you need high speed discs to throw most of the shots.

Can you? sure, should you? Sometimes.

I constantly keep hearing from a guy I play with all the time "I cannot throw my buzz that far"

He can, I've seen him do it a lot as he blows passed the basket on upshots.

Forcing yoruself to learn to throw mids/putters further and more accurately with higher control really makes a huge change in your game. Because it gives you the high speed option, vs it being the only option.

Most of anyones shot/disc selection is due to confidence or lack of practice.

To many people think they need a 12 speed disc to throw 300 feet.

And, guy above, wants to throw slower discs further ,but he doesnt' ever try.

Sorry if that sounds ranty or ... some weird attack, I'm in a weird mood this morning. it was more conversation not a critisism of your play.

Yes you seem to have alot to say and just put it out there whether it relates to the post or not, lol. It's ok. Hopefully it helps someone.

I'm not here to be taught or schooled by a random stranger. Just to take part in a conversation.

It was more of a people relying on them to heavily to build their bag and "fill holes" when most of those holes are there due to skill level, not missing discs.

There is definitely a place for them, but they cannot help you if you dont have the skill to throw the discs youre putting in your bag because of them.

It's a touchy subject when you get that complex though.

True. And when I use the matrixes to get suggestions, I keep my skill and ability in mind. So if I'm thinking about getting an overstable driver....I keep in mind that my 'prime' speed is 7. If I go above 7 I have to consider getting a lower weight disc. But, I agree that many people use bag matrixes too much. They aren't even a huge help for beginners to create a bag as beginners don't even know what they are capable of throwing.

Latest posts