• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eliminating speed 7 discs from my game?

It was more of a people relying on them to heavily to build their bag and "fill holes" when most of those holes are there due to skill level, not missing discs.

There is definitely a place for them, but they cannot help you if you dont have the skill to throw the discs youre putting in your bag because of them.

It's a touchy subject when you get that complex though.

I build my bag for throwing flat. I have an overstable, neutral and understable disc for each of the 3,5,7,9,11, 12-13 speeds. plus a few repeats for 21 discs total. I can put different angles on each of these, giving me well over a hundred different flights out of my bag. I just couldn't imagine eliminating any of the speeds. Some courses I don't use all, but between all the courses I play, there is a spot for each of them.

At the risk of derailing yet another MVP fan club thread....here is a nice ITB by Joel Freeman. He discusses his approach and philosophy on building a bag and disc selection.

At the risk of derailing yet another MVP fan club thread....here is a nice ITB by Joel Freeman. He discusses his approach and philosophy on building a bag and disc selection.

He's basically doing the Bag Matrix, which as discussed is fine even though I'm not a fan of it. It's to much overlap which is why I don't like it.

However, how he sets it up with the chart is pretty interesting to make the thought process much better on the throws.

The problem is a lot of bag matrix style runs are mostly theory and not practical. Practical in his case, cause he doesn't suck. Most of the people who try stuff like this are newer players and they .. well they cannot throw well yet.

He's basically doing the Bag Matrix, which as discussed is fine even though I'm not a fan of it. It's to much overlap which is why I don't like it.

However, how he sets it up with the chart is pretty interesting to make the thought process much better on the throws.

The problem is a lot of bag matrix style runs are mostly theory and not practical. Practical in his case, cause he doesn't suck. Most of the people who try stuff like this are newer players and they .. well they cannot throw well yet.

Sheep, I am very curious. You seem to have a lot of knowledge and like to pass on that knowledge. If you don't mind my asking, what are your qualifications as a coach? What is your PDGA player rating. I'm not calling you out by any means, but it would help me, and maybe others, to put your comments and experience into some type of context. I apologize if this is covered and documented elsewhere.

TIA.

Last edited:
Sheep, I am very curious. You seem to have a lot of knowledge and like to pass on that knowledge. If you don't mind my asking, what are your qualifications as a coach? What is your PDGA player rating. I'm not calling you out by any means, but it would help me, and maybe others, to put your comments and experience into some type of context. I apologize if this is covered and documented elsewhere. TIA

TIA.

30+ years playing sports.
20+ playing ball golf.
Basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball.

I'm stuck with 2 blown out knees, a blown out shoulder and a bad back from working and playing sports.
I cannot ski anymore, I cannot play basketball, baseball or any other jump and run sports due to my injuries.

I posted an intro video in here someplace.

Basically I've spent the last 4 to 5 years learning how to not keep hurting myself playing disc golf, and now I share that knowledge from my perspective.
Which is something people generally dislike, because I'm willing to give my opinion regardless if people like it or not. =)

30+ years playing sports.
20+ playing ball golf.
Basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball.

I'm stuck with 2 blown out knees, a blown out shoulder and a bad back from working and playing sports.
I cannot ski anymore, I cannot play basketball, baseball or any other jump and run sports due to my injuries.

I posted an intro video in here someplace.

Basically I've spent the last 4 to 5 years learning how to not keep hurting myself playing disc golf, and now I share that knowledge from my perspective.
Which is something people generally dislike, because I'm willing to give my opinion regardless if people like it or not. =)

So, do you have a PDGA rating?

Not bashing you and everyone is entitled to share their experiences and opinions for sure. That being said, if we're getting advice from someone who plays 950 disc golf versus someone who plays 750 disc golf it might help people decide how much weight to place on your advice. Thanks.

Ah here we go. Leo Messi would be the best football coach in the world.

I think you are intimating that there are many terrific coaches that were not terrific players. I did not know who Leo Messi was and was not sure how he was associated to the NFL. :eek:

So, do you have a PDGA rating?

Not bashing you and everyone is entitled to share their experiences and opinions for sure. That being said, if we're getting advice from someone who plays 950 disc golf versus someone who plays 750 disc golf it might help people decide how much weight to place on your advice. Thanks.

If my "rating" is more important than the information I have to offer or discuss, then pass by my messages. I wont be offended.

I'm here to discuss coaching and furthering my knowledge and everyone else's knowledge through debate and discussion.

Rating vs ability to coach or teach have no correlations whatsoever.
Otherwise pro players would be some of the best coaches in the world, and they are honestly some of the worse. They have very little understanding of what they are doing, just that they are able to do it, and that they do it well.

There are huge difference between coaches and players.
Some coaches are good players, some coaches just have an in depth understanding and ability to communicate. Not everyone can be Larry Bird.
But you don't see Steve Yzermanas head coach of the redwings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn-QzdyJI_t/

Last edited:
If my "rating" is more important than the information I have to offer or discuss, then pass by my messages. I wont be offended.

I'm here to discuss coaching and furthering my knowledge and everyone else's knowledge through debate and discussion.

Rating vs ability to coach or teach have no correlations whatsoever.
Otherwise pro players would be some of the best coaches in the world, and they are honestly some of the worse. They have very little understanding of what they are doing, just that they are able to do it, and that they do it well.

There are huge difference between coaches and players.
Some coaches are good players, some coaches just have an in depth understanding and ability to communicate. Not everyone can be Larry Bird.
But you don't see Steve Yzermanas head coach of the redwings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn-QzdyJI_t/

I can see the relevance of your PDGA rating. It is a fair indication of how well you can put what you preach into practice, and also a good benchmark of who the target audience is. Is it a complete benchmark? Maybe not.

If you are an 850 rated player, perhaps your target audience is intermediate players or below. If you are a 1000 player, perhaps your target audience is a little wider. Either way I think it is a fair question to ask, if only for the sake of full transparency. People are more likely to trust the information being given if they know there person they are dealing with.

Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. Not sure what my love/hate relationship with 7 speed discs has to be with coaching though.

Sheep has always been agreeable enough with dissenting opinions. You don't have to agree with him. I don't subscribe to his, in the bag theory. It is ok to have a take and be comfortable with others having them, as well. If you find his enthusiasm intolerable, don't read his posts...in fact, we have a fine ignore feature. I suspect he would not lose sleep over it. :thmbup:

Fair enough. Not sure what my love/hate relationship with 7 speed discs has to be with coaching though.

I am really starting to enjoy throwing my crave. We have a short course here that I enjoy playing in the winter. I throw the crave on the "longer" holes in the 265-285 range. It does things that my mids don't. I have never thrown a crave until recently. I used to throw a clash which has more low speed fade, but over the last 3-4 years the clash has had too much fade for me.

I suppose for me disc choice depends on the course and the situation.

Sheep has always been agreeable enough with dissenting opinions. You don't have to agree with him. I don't subscribe to his, in the bag theory. It is ok to have a take and be comfortable with others having them, as well. If you find his enthusiasm intolerable, don't read his posts...in fact, we have a fine ignore feature. I suspect he would not lose sleep over it. :thmbup:

This is fair. I prefer not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I was just trying to get a sense of his level of expertise so that I can take his posts and comments with the weight they deserve.

He seems like a nice enough guy and obviously has a fair amount of knowledge.

This is fair. I prefer not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I was just trying to get a sense of his level of expertise so that I can take his posts and comments with the weight they deserve.

He seems like a nice enough guy and obviously has a fair amount of knowledge.

You can read what I write to "judge" my level of expertise.

If you require a disc golf rating.
Its over 9000.

The conversation went from 7 speeds to bag building and bag building theory to them questioning my ability to give advice based on my "player rating" to give any level of my knowledge some relevance to them because they are hooked on a broken number system that has nothing to do with skill level or knowledge.

I totally get the love hate relationship with some discs and discs speeds though. My bag changes based on what I'm loving to throw. I'm not out to shoot hot rounds. I'm out to enjoy golf and learn. The more discs I can throw and try, the wider my knowledgebase gets as well.