• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emporia, Kansas to Host 2013 Worlds!

If you're in the Kansas or surrounding states and can get the weekend of the 18th and 19th off, here's something that might be worth looking into. A chance to play three of the 2013 Am Worlds courses a year in advance.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/tournaments.php?mode=view&tid=3491

What! When did they change the layout. Since the beginning of time it was 2 rounds each day at Jones. I chose not to play this tournie because of that.
I love DD. Sometimes I get annoyed with DD.

Last year it was two separate tourneys this weekend. The Revenge of the Monkey on saturday 2 rounds at Peter Pan and the DD Open on Sunday with one round on each Jones Course. So compared to last year it's a pretty similar format just combined into one tourney.

What! When did they change the layout. Since the beginning of time it was 2 rounds each day at Jones.
Rob, I think that you're thinking of the old Glass Blown Open setup prior to 2010. The DDO until this year has to my knowledge always been a one day event.

Last year it was two separate tourneys this weekend. The Revenge of the Monkey on saturday 2 rounds at Peter Pan and the DD Open on Sunday with one round on each Jones Course. So compared to last year it's a pretty similar format just combined into one tourney.
^
This is what has been going on at least the last 2-3 years. This year, they did away with the ROTM, and have moved the other Peter Pan only tournament the Monkey Island Open, which has normally been held in March to October.

We started making our plans to get our daughters to Emporia for the 2013 Am Worlds. It should be an exciting year for my two little girls. Now if the schedules work and I actually get to play too, it'll be a miracle. :)

I had a question about getting an Invite to Am Worlds.

This is on the invite criteria-

"In order to receive an invite, players must have been a current member on 12/31/2012."

Does that mean if we were current this year, we would get the invite? Or do we need to renew our membership for 2013 in order to get the invite?

I also would like to know if once all the invites are registered will the PDGA all open registration?

I also would like to know if once all the invites are registered will the PDGA all open registration?

how does one receive an invite. i have enough points. when would i be able to register?

They are usually announced in February on the PDGA website. Players must pass a certified officials test in order to be able to register, then, amongst invitees, registration is first come, first serve.

If the event doesn't fill by a certain date, then its open to anyone else. Historically this was usually the case, until last year, and a lot of folks planning to go but deciding to wait to register it out found themselves on the outside looking in.

They are usually announced in February on the PDGA website. Players must pass a certified officials test in order to be able to register, then, amongst invitees, registration is first come, first serve.

If the event doesn't fill by a certain date, then its open to anyone else. Historically this was usually the case, until last year, and a lot of folks planning to go but deciding to wait to register it out found themselves on the outside looking in.

But wasn't last year an anomally due to the Pro and Am being at the same place, and in Charlotte?

I know i'm banking on being able to sign-up after the invite-only sign ups.

EDIT: And to those taking the officials test, be sure to use the 2011 rule book, not the 2013 (which is the one on the site) some rules have been changed, so you'll need the correct rule book to get the correct answers.

But wasn't last year an anomally due to the Pro and Am being at the same place, and in Charlotte?

If anything, that hurt registration because some ams actually wanted to play pro b/c of the courses being used.

I'm hoping to play in the 2014 Am Worlds when it's hosted in Minneapolis. I'm banking on being able to sign-up after the invitees...because I don't think I'll be able to play enough tournaments, and place well enough, in 2013 to be invited. <fingers crossed>

I would suspect if Charlotte had hosted Am Worlds only, the same thing would have happened.

I do not expect Emporia to sell out on invites, but keep in mind the quickest way to get points to qualify for 2014 Am Worlds is to play in a super large event with dozens of opponents, and going to 2013 Worlds will accomplish that for folks who aren't going to Bowling Green to do it there. That might be a factor in getting a lot of folks in the central states to go play. I expect there's going to be big attendance in Emporia from the upper Midwest.

I'm going, but is there anything in emporia for the family to do if they decide to come too? I have a little one who is not really tournament ready yet, especially if its hot.

I had a question the TD didnt really answer for me. I have 500+ pts in MA2 last year but the way I read it I need 500 pts in Ma1 to qualify.

I had a question the TD didnt really answer for me. I have 500+ pts in MA2 last year but the way I read it I need 500 pts in Ma1 to qualify.
No, all Am points regardless of division are the same thing.