• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ever blew it on # 18?

schnelle

Eagle Member
I was playing with a couple of guys I had recently met, and they both have been playin longer than me by a couple of years (they didn't know their discs for shizz though). Anyways, I'm playing the game of my life. I was bogey free the first eight. On #16 I birdie and 17 I birdie puts me 3 under wich is BIG for me. Then on 18 threw drive in the water trip bogeyed the hole and finished even. I still won the round, but not as sweet as it could have been.

I was playing with a couple of guys I had recently met, and they both have been playin longer than me by a couple of years (they didn't know their discs for shizz though). Anyways, I'm playing the game of my life. I was bogey free the first eight. On #16 I birdie and 17 I birdie puts me 3 under wich is BIG for me. Then on 18 threw drive in the water trip bogeyed the hole and finished even. I still won the round, but not as sweet as it could have been.

Do you feel like you were intimidated by these guys? The only reason I ask is because you mention them at the beginning and the end of your post.
It doesn't seem like you were intimidated by these new guys as you were having a crushing round. ;)
What probably happened is that thing that sometimes rears it's ugly head:
You blew it. That's all.
The beauty of it is that you still had fun and it probably motivated you to go back to the course and get that penalty-free round! :hfive:

I've done this before,I've only shot a few under par rounds at my home course,played at least 250-300 rounds out there though,i've gotten to 18 at one under about 20 times,and i've blown it about 80% :)

I prefer to go in even and force the birdie,happens more often hah :(

I've done this before,I've only shot a few under par rounds at my home course,played at least 250-300 rounds out there though,i've gotten to 18 at one under about 20 times,and i've blown it about 80% :)

I prefer to go in even and force the birdie,happens more often hah :(

I am pretty much the same way. I have only shot under par twice on one of the local courses. I can remember at least a couple of times that I came to 18 with a score of 1 under, only to go OB and lose the stroke. The hole is downhill with OB long.

Wasn't intimidated, just got lazy/complacent on my last drive, and SLIP wide left goes my eagle into the water.

My home course basket 18 is also used as a practice basket and is where players meet up before a round. So often times I have an audiance when I play it. So, yes I have blown a few good scores. Why is it harder to perform when others are watching?

The two courses I play the most have very treacherous 18th holes. A 2 or even 3 stroke lead is never safe on the 18th tee. Oh, yes, I've blown leads or great rounds on these.....but pulled out victories when I nailed them while my opponent was blowing up, too.

I've blown good leads and lost on 18 before. Not from an audience, heh, might be the yips. Also trying to slam the last beer before leaving, this only really occurs on the Sunday morning round though.

I usually blow it waaaay before I get to hole 18.

Kidding aside, I think everyone that takes this game even remotely serious has done this at one point or another. Whether its under par, par, or just your personal best, it sucks every time. The worst part of my rounds that go this way is I have usually left a stroke or two on the course. I think the last three rounds that I have played I have had at least 10 putts hit low and bounce of the bottom of the basket.

Only one blew it joke? I thought this thread was gonna be good for at least a few morning laughs. Way to get rollin though roadtrip.

Wake up dcgr trollers!

Last edited:
Really though, finishing a round can be one of the toughest things to do.

There are two local courses with tough finishing holes that i usually screw up on. #18 at Spring Valley is 400ft dog leg right with a bottle neck fairway, trees on both sides, water on the right side for the last 1/3 of the fairway. Ya...i screw tha tone up all the time.

The other is a 240ft island hole, #20 at Windwood. I've maxed out at a 10 on a very windy day (tourney round)

Last edited:
I played a round of the swiss championship, on a very very tight and wooded course. The TD told me that he will pay me beer for the rest of my life if I play a bogie free round, which nobody has ever done, not even the swiss champion ( who has been 1000+ rated for two decades now, and it is his home course ! )

Well, I played a tripple bogie on hole 18 after being totaly bogie free for the first 17 holes. Damn I was nervous.

Yeah... Final hole at BG ams this year, Lovers Lane - the wind was hindering my round and I was throwing awful, yet by the time I got to hole 4 I knew i'd still be close the final 9. My drive, a tough anhyzer shot into the wind, "parked" about 20 feet out. Sweet, haven't had a birdie all day, at least I can finish on a strong note. Just missed under the basket on my putt and it carried past for about another 20 ft putt. Fine I'll settle for a par, blew past the right side of the chains and down the hill, had to upshot and drop in a double bogey. The birdie would have put me in the final 9, the double bogey dropped me to 15th.

I was playing a doubles round with some buddies at jefferson barracks and my partner and I were leading by one stroke. When we got to the 18th basket there was this little boy playing with a disc he had found. The putt we had to make was only 15 ft at the most but when this kid didn't get the hint to move from the basket, we both missed low from not throwing hard enough. Forced a playoff which we lost.

First of all, I'm not that good.

Ok anyway, went to play Crooked Creek (the one in Wyoming), and played a round, scored +5. I was pretty happy with myself since this course can be brutal if you go in the woods. The next morning, the course designer offered to play a round with us. This was the first time anything like that had happened to me, and I completely freaked out and got something awful like a +15. I don't even remember. Went in the woods on most of the holes.

Back here at home, I have been trying to play more weeklies and monthlies to lose the intimidation factor but its a slow process. Especially now that I have a job :(

"YOU BLEW IT!"
images

Really though, finishing a round can be one of the toughest things to do.

There are two local courses with tough finishing holes that i usually screw up on. #18 at Spring Valley is 400ft dog leg right with a bottle neck fairway, trees on both sides, water on the right side for the last 1/3 of the fairway. Ya...i screw tha tone up all the time.

The other is a 240ft island hole, #20 at Windwood. I've maxed out at a 10 on a very windy day (tourney round)

Couldnt agree more. Definitely where rounds can be won/lost. Ive had a 5 stroke lead going into #20 at Windwood and lost a round by 2 after 21 holes.

Latest posts