• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever caught someone with your disc?

Back in the early 90's when I started playing it was a common rule to return a disc if you found it with a name on it. And when returned the owner would usually give you a $1 or a mini or something. NOwadays there are so many people playing that most people think they found themselves a free disc.

I rarely get discs returned to me anymore, even when I write $$$$ reward on them. BUt these days when someone does call me about a disc they found, I usually just say thaks for letting me know and I tell them they can keep it.

But if it has a name and phone number on it, you should at least have the decency to call the person and let them have a chance to get it back. THAT's the way it was and the way it is supposed to be. But whatever, if you can't afford $15 for your own disc go ahead and throw my lost disc.

Not that I would do it ....but if you want to make sure a disc gets returned to you....write a woman's name on it!

We played a course last weekend in the snow. We found two discs, one without and name and number and the other with a disconnected number. We tried to call the person cause the disc had to have been thrown in the last few hours. So we kept it but felt kind of bad. Some people still have courtesy rules.

Over the years I've lost many discs, most with my name and contact info written large and legible in sharpie on the underside. Not a single one has ever been returned, but alas I have never seen anyone using them. I have one disc I'm currently in possession of that I found while looking for a disc I lost (never did find my disc, funny how the balance of life works) Well anyways that disc has dude's name and phone number on the back but its worn down and when I try the number I think it says I get a disconnected line, and no luck trying similar numbers. I still can't bring myself to use it, bad karma in my book using a disc with another name on it.

On a related note when I have a disc I don't care for I scratch out my name and write real big "Keep If Found" Then I use it for risky throws and just goofing around until I lose it. Although last week I saw two high school girls playing with beach frisbees so I gave them a DX Leopard I carry around in case anybody needs to borrow a disc. What was funny to me was how untrusting they were that I really was giving them this disc for free and I really didn't want anything in return. But eventually they took it with a thanks. That's one disc I do hope I see someone else playing with later, ideally one of them.

My daughter and I rake the local lakes regularly. It's our belief that returning discs to their rightful owner is the right thing to do. If it's yours, we want you to have it back.

Our policy is to make at least two phone calls to the number written on the disc. After that, we sell them at local tournaments at low prices. If someone finds one of the discs with their name on it, we're all to happy for them to take it.

We've been able to return dozens of discs back to their rightful owner.

On the flip side, we've mailed discs to people out of town or state without the courtesy of our shipping costs being reimbursed. Others have taken their discs back without as much as a "thank you" to us. One guy I called actually asked if I would drive across town and bring it to him!

Not that I would do it ....but if you want to make sure a disc gets returned to you....write a woman's name on it!
That's probably the best idea I've ever heard. I'm going to start writing Erica instead of Erich.

What if I was doing an Operation Disc Dredge in some waders and found a couple of discs with names and numbers...If they threw it in the water should I feel obligated to try to get it back to them?? I can understand if the disc is somewhere on land, but honestly when you get one in the drink do you really think its coming back to you??

after i lose a disc, whether on water or land, i don't really expect to get it back. that's why it's always nice when you get a call that someone found it. i don't think it makes a difference where you find it, if there's contact info on the disc then the right thing to do is always to at least make an attempt to return it.

A-hole at Giles Run

My foursome was tossing a couple of extra discs on 18, when a large group of young guys came over to play Hole 6. I had tossed a yellow Starfire near the basket for 18, from the woods lining 18's fairway, but when we had collected all our discs, it was missing. I yelled down to the group who was now on their way to Hole 7 if they had it, and one of them flipped it back up towards me.

Now, I was a bit pissed off, and my group said something, and the guy who had it yelled "Well, it was just sitting there"...next to the damn basket, when we were clearly in sight... the worse part was they started talking smack and acting like we were somehow at fault.

I'm just happy I got it back, but damned if I'd ever pick up another disc when I see a group playing that hole, I just wish more people had common sense and courtesy.

So far I have found three discs with numbers on them. In only one case did the owner return my call and I sent it back to him. I was surprised that the other two times I didn't even get return calls from working numbers. I guess I have lost two of my own discs so it evens out.

jaredo7 sounds like the tools in ny...fishing out peoples discs and keeping them(erasing names and numbers)...what if i found your wallet in the lake, wouldn't you expect it back?

My foursome was tossing a couple of extra discs on 18, when a large group of young guys came over to play Hole 6. I had tossed a yellow Starfire near the basket for 18, from the woods lining 18's fairway, but when we had collected all our discs, it was missing. I yelled down to the group who was now on their way to Hole 7 if they had it, and one of them flipped it back up towards me.

Now, I was a bit pissed off, and my group said something, and the guy who had it yelled "Well, it was just sitting there"...next to the damn basket, when we were clearly in sight... the worse part was they started talking smack and acting like we were somehow at fault.

I'm just happy I got it back, but damned if I'd ever pick up another disc when I see a group playing that hole, I just wish more people had common sense and courtesy.

You just triggered a memory. I had something similar happen to me. My group was on hole 7 which runs near the basket for hole 4. I went to my drive and took my approach shot and then went to drop it in the basket accidentally leaving my tye-dye tracker on the ground. I realize I didn't grab the tracker very quickly and go back to see its gone and the high school kids that had been finishing 4 walking away from us towards 5. I know they took it and I know they knew they were stealing it because it wasn't a plain disc they could mistake for theirs, it had my name and contact info on the back, and I was still in plain sight and not far at all from where the disc was laying.

So I yell at them loudly "which one of you stole my disc?!" at which point of them pulls it out of his bag and sheepishly says some excuse about how they thought it was abandoned. Maybe he was telling the truth but any rational person wouldn't have thought what he was claiming ... then again I am trying to put rational and a high school kid in the same sentence.

jaredo7 sounds like the tools in ny...fishing out peoples discs and keeping them(erasing names and numbers)...what if i found your wallet in the lake, wouldn't you expect it back?

Thanks for the polite comment tool...

Im glad I said i fish out disc and erase names...thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Im just saying people flame others for not returning discs, but at the same time, have no intentions of even going after the discs anyways like it doesnt matter. I think if you want it then go get it.

but i do return discs when i can

read again idiot....i didn't say you were a tool...said you sounded like the tools here in NY...reading comprehension is pretty necessary in today's world dont ya think?

read again idiot....i didn't say you were a tool...said you sounded like the tools here in NY...reading comprehension is pretty necessary in today's world dont ya think?

Reading comprehension is right up there with using proper punctuation and grammar.

you are right punctuation is totally unneccesary and doesn't make sentences easier or harder to read whoever thought that a period would help separate one thought from another is an idiot there is just no sense in separating anything because it just flows so much better without any punctuation i really hope this isn't hard to read it is just an example that anyone can understand writing without punctuation but what about questions is it harder to read nonsense without a question mark when you are writing your thoughts in the form of questions i think it will be easier to read if you have a question mark to separate that thought from others does anyone agree with me

I caught someone once with a disc I lost once. I was at Lunchtime in SW Portland and I lost my perfectly broken in Pro Beast (which I found at Pier Park w/no number). Not too long later I was back at Lunchtime and a guy threw a Pro Beast that was the same color and it landed next to me. I knew it was mine beast because the scratches on the stamp matched. I asked the guy if he found it there and he got real defensive, saying he just bought it from a used disc golf shop nearby. He may have been telling the truth but either way, someone neglected to call the number! That's what its there for! Bad disc golf karma for you!

there was no number in it?...did you put yours? with no name and number it is free game (imo)..only time i don't feel bad if i can't find the original owner..