• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever consider quitting?

I dont think im ever going to be the greatest, but i have high expectations for my disc golf career. Ever since i started it has been a dream of mine to become a sponsored player. Its gonna happen.
Ive never considered quitting.

Sometimes.

The only thing that keeps me active in disc golf is putting together events for people on DGCR, I really enjoy running meet-ups and hanging out with all the good people involved, and being in nature is cool, too.

I don't really get the same enjoyment as I did when I first started playing, but I know this weekend I'll be having a blast playing Stoney Hill. :)

I take the winters off. It helps to get the mind right. By the time spring roles around, I'm excited to get back out there.

When it starts to feel stale, there's always a new course to play somewhere.

I've had a few rounds where i've felt like a royal ass out there throwing plastic discs and sucking, hard. I feel like quitting then, and especially stupid for having just bought more plastic.

Somehow, the next day it's all forgotten and i can't wait to get out there. Lucky me, I have a short memory.

no. but as the years pass, and i age more than my discs, i see the inevitable on the horizon, when i will be forced to stop. now, that will hopefully be a couple of decades, but i can still see it.

Have you ever gotten to certain point and felt that you're just not getting anywhere as far as your game is concerned? Form and distance aren't going anywhere and you spend countless hours skimming over technique threads and videos hoping to find something better that will work for you?

If you think plateauing is frustrating, wait till the day---and it's coming, I guarantee---that you start down the back side of the plateau.

I can't throw as far or as well as I did 3 years ago.....in another 3 years I may be even worse. But I still execute good throws from time to time, and each time I do, my joy in playing is renewed.

Quit? Never!

You have to find ways to have fun that aren't just connected to your own skill progression. I love competing, and I've worked at getting better, but I make sure that the reason I'm playing is because I enjoy being out, not because I need to be the best. One of the best ways for me personally to reset is to go somewhere new and play a course I haven't seen before, it reminds me how much I just enjoy being out.

No. It is supposed to be fun. If my form sucks it's still better than work, laundry or a myriad of other things I could be doing. It's called perspective.

Most of the time.

I'm really competitive (against myself, not others) and there's times where I'm so far below my expectations capabilities that I'd rather be making money (no salary here) or be doing something productive with my life. Apples to oranges, I know you're more than just a couple years older than I am (24) so our priorities and perspectives are different. That said a bad day of disc doesn't always prevail mentally over productivity.

I'm also a sore loser to myself. I'll congratulate the winner, acknowledge their strengths with a smile on my face like any kind or respectable person would, but on the inside I'm yelling at myself. I'm not saying "**** Tom" I'm saying "**** GE"

I don't know.

I think about retiring from DGCR all the time.

Trolling Christian Mingle gets more and more appealing everyday.

win-one-internet.jpg

I take the winters off. It helps to get the mind right. By the time spring roles around, I'm excited to get back out there.

When it starts to feel stale, there's always a new course to play somewhere.

+1

I'll play occasionally throughout the winter, but for the most part I just take it easy and at most putt around.

if you quit disc golf because you are having a bad stretch and not playing well, or because you aren't getting any better, i think it says a lot about you. none of which are things you want to be said about your character. this is a sport that is supposed to be enjoyable and played by all ages, levels of physical fitness, and levels of commitment. you are taking the sport too seriously if you expect to be great overnight. just like anything else, it takes time. nobody picks up a basketball one day and shoots their way into the nba

take it for what it is, whatever it may be to you. but if you give up on what is supposed to be a leisure activity due to frustration with it, i wish you the best of luck in everything else you do

Only if something I enjoy more replaces it. I can see the possibility of disc golf carrying me into old age though. It is cheap, keeps me active and it's fun no matter the level that I play.

Yeah, I've had stretches where I don't feel like I'm playing 'golf', just throwing frisbees. It's been when I've expected too much of myself, was being hyper competitive and my only fun with the sport was derived from success. I try not to approach the game like that now. I want to play well, but don't get down on myself if I don't.

I would never quit and never feel like my game is going nowhere. I will always pick something else up. Overhand, forehand, opposite hand. When all else fails, work on putting. I'm not Paul Mcbeth, I'm 25 and just got into this last year. Call it noob enthusiasm. I started taking it seriously this may. However, there is nothing stopping me from dominating 5 years down the line and making a name for myself. I love the sport. J played just about every day, rain or shine all through the summer and fall. The arc and fall is too graceful to dismiss. Every time I get frustrated I go to a field and throw until I feel better. When I'm throwing bad on the field I try something new. Opposite hand, rollers, overhand with different angles etc. Your imagination is the limit. Maybe not the next Mcbeth or climo but I will be known in some regard at some point. And I am addicted to improving.

Last edited:
Note to self. Never let a woman get you down man. It's just not worth it,trust me.

Same goes for the ladies out there,don't let a man get you down.

So forget what happened and get out there and enjoy what YOU like to do. :thmbup:

Oh I feel you there brother. I know better. But sometimes you do things even when you know better, and when emotions are involved... I'm back though, and "back" is a good place to be. Let me get back on topic before I get yelled at for derailing the thread:

NEVER. I love disc golf. I travel light when I travel so I have room under the seat in front of me for a full bag of discs.

I think about retiring from DGCR all the time.

Trolling Christian Mingle gets more and more appealing everyday.

Friend, let me tell you about hammocks...

I thought about making this same thread about a month ago. I play the same course between 4 and 10 rounds per week. Same discs, same shots day after day!!!!! Realized I was just getting bored. I just started playing in February and haven't really tried to throw thumbers, tomahawks, rollers and still am not very good at forehand. I started trying to incorporate all of these shots into every round I play now and it has helped break up the monotony of the same round day after day. My scores have improved as well.

I actually took the last 3 years off (from playing tournaments). This year, I've re-visited it and realized that there are a lot more douches that play this game than ever before.
I still love to throw discs and see the flight path, but I just hate people. And, now that disc golf is getting more popular, there are a lot more docuhey people playing than ever before. It annoys the F**k out of me, but I still love to play, despite the douches...

I'd love to quit but I started a club and built a course. Now I'm stuck. My life sucks I can't enjoy disc golf anymore. All I get is grief n headaches.

I have grown very disappointed with my play to the point of wanting to quit. I'm always working on something different to try and improve and I don't care if I'm doing it in a tourney or a league round I still try and stick with it. This kills my confidence which is really the most important part of the game and makes me think I'm going backward in my skill level.

Seeing some dip**** throw his 250ft drive in the middle of the fairway and constantly looking for my discs in rough is discouraging but you have to remember that it took you a long time to get where you are now and changing form and technique will also take time. That dip**** will always only throw 250.

Also, real time and disc golf time are two completely different things: I try to play 8 rounds a week in the summer and as many as I can in the winter, weather permitting. One week real time can feel like a month because a person plays so many rounds and it seems like you've been playing like **** lately but it's really only been four days. Anyways, I'm getting away from the OP and just venting my recent dg frustrations. The reason we keep coming back is because it's challenging. This is why we will never quit.

Latest posts