• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever consider quitting?

Uncle Dougie

Double Eagle Member
Have you ever gotten to certain point and felt that you're just not getting anywhere as far as your game is concerned? Form and distance aren't going anywhere and you spend countless hours skimming over technique threads and videos hoping to find something better that will work for you?

I've been at that point last year and fought my way through it. I still have issues but who doesn't. I'm still having fun and the friends I make are worth it.

Just curious if anyone has any stories on the subject that they want to share.

have you ever got to that point? How did you get through it?

When you realize you'll never be the greatest, a lot of pressure is taken off, and you can enjoy it more.

Besides, how can you quit? The flight of a well thrown disc as it curves through the air is one of the most beautiful sights in all of sports. I could never give that up.

No. It is supposed to be fun. If my form sucks it's still better than work, laundry or a myriad of other things I could be doing. It's called perspective.

Yes, I have. I quit the winter before last. Started again the next spring. It's helped to start throwing left handed and forehanded. I can work on something else if I'm not getting anywhere with my primary throw.

When you realize you'll never be the greatest, a lot of pressure is taken off, and you can enjoy it more.

Besides, how can you quit? The flight of a well thrown disc as it curves through the air is one of the most beautiful sights in all of sports. I could never give that up.
:hfive:

I have been thinking about quitting tournaments. I'm just in a black hole, skill wise. Rating too high to play int women, skill too low to compete in trophy only rec men. And that's about all they have around here. It's a blue moon to get an advanced women's division together, and then the field is small and the outcome is basically a foregone conclusion most of the time because the skill levels have such a disparity. Tournaments just don't offer much for someone like me. That doesn't mean I would quit playing completely though. And when age catches up with me enough to drive my rating below 800 again, then I could see playing tournaments again.

I don't quit, but I do take vacation from playing ccompetitively, and practicing. I have months were I stick to playing solely for recreation. Then, I go through cycles of intensely training trying to better my game, and play to compete.

Last edited:

I didn't say I quit. I said that I reached that point and got through it but wanted to hear how others handled it.

I don't think I could ever consider quitting.

When I first started out I was skinny as a rail and throwing maybe 340ft with a Valkyrie. I was throwing that distance for at least 12 years.

It wasn't until I started focusing on my health and started bulking up from my workouts when I started to notice a distance increase. I can now throw those Valkyries over 400ft. :D

Even if I was still throwing 340ft I would still enjoy this game. It's just part of my life now and I'll be playing til I'm an old man...because this is fun. :hfive:

Have you ever gotten to certain point and felt that you're just not getting anywhere as far as your game is concerned? Form and distance aren't going anywhere and you spend countless hours skimming over technique threads and videos hoping to find something better that will work for you?

Every time I play....

I think about retiring from DGCR all the time.

Trolling Christian Mingle gets more and more appealing everyday.

Yes. I actually considered it last week. I only played four holes on my weekend (I usually average closer to 100), and I just wasn't motivated to do anything. At all. I was dealing with some stuff that had nothing to do with disc golf (a girl), but even my escape (being alone on a course at sunrise) wasn't appealing. I really did consider selling off my entire collection of discs (mostly Gazelles), and calling it quits. But what would I have done? Spent all of my time playing video games and watching TV? This game has made me great friends, given me great memories, and gets me outside when nothing else will. Do I care that I'm the worst non-rec player on the course? Sometimes. Do I care that I can't control a backhand to save my life, can't get any sort of distance on my drives, and am a so-so putter? Often. But I play to my strengths (approaches) even when everyone else is parking their drives, and I practice constantly even when I don't see results. I pay into ace pots because I like playing with and meeting new people. I like the fresh air, the silences, and being out in nature. This past weekend was the exact opposite of the weekend that I considered quitting. I played rounds alone, rounds with friends, and a doubles round with a whole bunch of new people. I set a personal best on one of the tougher courses around, and set new marks for "personal best drives" on four holes there. I even found a sweet pearly 11x Champ Eagle that someone had lost three years ago and told me to keep. And I didn't talk to the girl who had depressed me in the first place.

So the short answer is "Yes. I have thought about it. But I can't bring myself to do it because the sport means too much to me and is too much fun to walk away from."

Yes. I actually considered it last week. I only played four holes on my weekend (I usually average closer to 100), and I just wasn't motivated to do anything. At all. I was dealing with some stuff that had nothing to do with disc golf (a girl), but even my escape (being alone on a course at sunrise) wasn't appealing. I really did consider selling off my entire collection of discs (mostly Gazelles), and calling it quits. But what would I have done? Spent all of my time playing video games and watching TV? This game has made me great friends, given me great memories, and gets me outside when nothing else will. Do I care that I'm the worst non-rec player on the course? Sometimes. Do I care that I can't control a backhand to save my life, can't get any sort of distance on my drives, and am a so-so putter? Often. But I play to my strengths (approaches) even when everyone else is parking their drives, and I practice constantly even when I don't see results. I pay into ace pots because I like playing with and meeting new people. I like the fresh air, the silences, and being out in nature. This past weekend was the exact opposite of the weekend that I considered quitting. I played rounds alone, rounds with friends, and a doubles round with a whole bunch of new people. I set a personal best on one of the tougher courses around, and set new marks for "personal best drives" on four holes there. I even found a sweet pearly 11x Champ Eagle that someone had lost three years ago and told me to keep. And I didn't talk to the girl who had depressed me in the first place.

So the short answer is "Yes. I have thought about it. But I can't bring myself to do it because the sport means too much to me and is too much fun to walk away from."

Note to self. Never let a woman get you down man. It's just not worth it,trust me.

Same goes for the ladies out there,don't let a man get you down.

So forget what happened and get out there and enjoy what YOU like to do. :thmbup:

Latest posts