• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever consider quitting?

I'd love to quit but I started a club and built a course. Now I'm stuck. My life sucks I can't enjoy disc golf anymore. All I get is grief n headaches.

Dude, if you started a club you can disband a club. If you built a course you can pull the baskets. Unless you took out a loan, then you need to file bankruptcy first. For your own peace of mind.

Never thought about quitting, but have taken extended "vacations" from playing due to work/life.

I have considered quitting.
The last tourney that I played was a disaster.

I took a hard look at what I needed to do, and then set about improving my game in those areas.
Still not there, but still working.

Besides, if I quit disc golf, what am i gonna do for excercise?

I took a year off for injuries. Feet were always sore and an aching shoulder woke me up at night, so playing was no fun. Once the faulty body parts healed up (mostly), I spent a lot of time in the back yard throwing putters, cleaning up my form, and figuring out how to throw without starting the injury cycle again.

I'm back to playing whenever I get a chance, (knock wood, cross fingers, etc.) staying mostly injury-free and loving the game. There are not many sports where one can continue to improve into one's mid-50s.

For the first time I walked off the course the other day around hole 16... Was throwing like garbage and just mad at myself. Also am slightly injured and felt like I was just trying not to reinjure myself. Needed a break for perspective.

Playing solo is bad for me IMO... gotta have some friends there to lighten the mood

i sometimes think of quitting tournaments when things are going particularly sh!tty but then i remember i'm out there to have fun and remind myself to suck it up. accepting the inevitable and that i'm a 890 golfer has made it easier.

I didn't even discover DG until I was 52! I'm old, overweight, and have a badish back. I've played in three tournaments and have a whopping 831 rating.

So it's pretty clear to me that I'm never going to become a great DG player. But I enjoy being outdoors, trying new courses, and playing rounds with old and new friends. I used to be bad about getting so serious about my hobbies that I turned them into work. I'm doing my best not to do that with DG.

The thought of quitting passed through my mind on at least one occasion. First off as a blacksmith, my hands and arms are my livelihood. I injured my right elbow in the shop and discing aggravated the injury(tendonitis). I've since been learning to throw (and hammer) lefty. I figured "Why not?", I've got the discs and all the knowledge I've acquired throwing right handed. Well there were times I was so very very bad, and frankly there still are, and I'm not talking about just losing a couple strokes bad, I'm talking about throwing the disc behind me somehow. So bad I defied physics. Sigh. That's when I thought about quitting. I couldn't use my right arm and my left arm was full of suck.
What changed, and why I continue to play despite the on-going periods of sucking and chronic tendonitis is that I approached relearning like a clean slate. I'm a big fan of the idea of a clean slate.
I predominately drive lefty now and honestly I have decent form left handed, better than my right hands anyway, and what's more is that it is immensely fun now. I'm glad I stuck it out( I knew I would). I have a better grasp on how to throw properly, and should my right arm ever get better to the point where I can practice with it, I have somethings to teach it.

Never thought about quitting, but have taken extended "vacations" from playing due to work/life.
I'm on one of those right now.

I very seriously considered giving up on trying to throw farther once. It was during some field work and I had one Teebird left to throw. That last throw went past the other end zone of the football field, into the second or third row of the parking lot. That pretty much put an end to me considering stopping trying to throw farther.

Ahh the elusive throw further... I wont quit until I can hit 550' and sink all putts inside 60'

so ill be playing forever.

There is one good thing about Winter Golf. Its kinda like being in school still. You get 8 Great month of hard core playing time ten 4 months off. So at the end of the 8 months you are sick of playing but when those winter months are coming to an end you want nothing more than to get back out there and compete.

I can see quiting in my future.
Have only been playing for 9 months.

Golf is my passion. I use to play 4 times a week. Got married and it dropped to once a week, had first child and course time went to every other week, had second child and I now play a few times a year.

I picked up DG to help fill my golf needs.
Takes half the time and is pretty much free.
I have improved greatly and having fun. Met some fantastic people.
Love learning new skill sets.

But when my children get old enough and if they show intrest in golf, I am gone.

I quit for basically 5 years. Played maybe 1 round a year those 5 years. I stopped having fun at all. Was way too serious, but didn't put the work in to become great, but felt i should be great. I would get so mad on the course i would actually just walk off. (Played all solo rounds for a few years, so my issues weren't affecting others.)

Then about 2.5 yrs ago i tried starting again, and the 3rd round i lost my favorite disc i'd had for 10 yrs. My best, favorite, perfect disc. I was so mad i quit for another year. Not having fun.

Started again last summer a little. Got hooked up with the local club, started playing again with a fresh attitude and have enjoyed myself about 99% of the time. Even in bad rounds actually.

I am not the player I used to be, i don't have the distance I used to have, but i am enjoying myself, and I am competitive with my club buddies.

For almost everyone on this board, disc golf should be fun. We aren't touring pros, we aren't going to be touring pros. This isn't our livelihood. It is our escape from reality, with the side bonus of possibly getting some new discs or money from tourneys/leagues.

Why did you start playing disc golf? For me it was to get away from college coursework and chill with my buddies. I got away from that, and it made me hate the game for a while. I've finally gotten back to those ideals of fun first, competition second. And i'm all the better for it.

No. It is supposed to be fun. If my form sucks it's still better than work, laundry or a myriad of other things I could be doing. It's called perspective.

Great quote.

I play to have fun, not become a professional. I already have a profession, which isn't fun.

Last edited:
Great quote.

I play to have fun, not become a professional. I already have a profession, which isn't fun.

I play to have fun as well. I have no preconceived notions of ever becoming pro or anything like that ...Just the ability to be able to play competitively well with my peers in the high rec or mid intermediate range. I don't want be to be a chucker is what I'm trying to say I guess.

I do quit from time to time, but I never give up and sell my discs off. Over the years, you could always tell if I was playing at the time or not because I either have so many discs in my vehicle I can barely drive it, and the basket out in the yard every day and night, or there is no sign of disc golf to be found (packed into the closet).

Usually I will do this when I get into a new short-term hobby, start a project around the house, or get a new project car, and I get to where I can't stand the idea of "wasting" time discing for months. Then, one day, I catch word that Innova released some new mold, or they re-arranged the baskets at so and so course, or somebody comes to town that wants to throw. Then, all of a sudden, its like I never quit. And my credit card suddenly gains a $200 balance again, and I am trying to find tournaments, and every night I am staying up too late lurking on here again.

I had quit again earlier this year because I was slammed at work to the point that I have like PTSD from it now. Then, I had to stay in town for my birthday but I had extra cash, so I bought a VIP pass to the USDGC and took 300 bucks cash to blow on plastic, and I have played at least weekly since.

Forgot to add... the reason I am addicted to disc golf is because learning to be better at it is like Zen for me. I have no intentions of progressing to a point where I am the best. I only want to see the disc fly well. That is the satisfaction. The silence, anticipation, and hopefully, the beauty of the flight between the release and the landing.

(Played all solo rounds for a few years, so my issues weren't affecting others.)

THIS. This is what I need to quit doing, and I will have that much more fun. Because when I go out by myself, I do get too serious and then I get frustrated, and get nowhere.

Latest posts