• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen a 360 Degree course like THIS?

Though I did avoid throwing rollers, for fear they'd take off in the wrong direction and never stop.

That would be wise on a few holes, but I've also seen rollers work very well.

If there are discs going into the street, and a local would have to answer that, I suspect really high winds would be the culprit.

Bingo! The course is not too far from the Cooper River, so it can get breezy.

If you've only played it once, you should give it another try. No doubt this course can grow on you. It sounds like there might have been more traffic at the time/day you played it than is usually the case. You might even feel it deserves more than just a 2 disc rating! :)

Are the alternate baskets in place or are those just where they would be when in use?

No, we only have 9 baskets total. So, it's 1 group playing in one area at a time - with the exception of one green area island that contains 2 holes.

I can foresee a lot of people waiting for other people to clear baskets with them all bunched up like that. Maybe completely different baskets for each hole would be better than having for instance 1 and 10 shooting at the same basket. Maybe even just a 9 hole course would have been better.

It is essentially a 9 hole course, but 2 tee positions makes drives different.

The 360 course seems like a nightmare to me.

I'm starting to realize that might be an out-of-towner's typical first impression. :(

But, it's NOT like that at all! That's why it's mentioned on the site that the original town planners never knew it, but the 8 green area islands they created were indeed perfect for a disc golf course. Of course, that's just my (biased) opinion...

First of all, overlapping 10-18 over 1-9 means lots of congestion and the dangers of playing into a group you didn't see playing.

That's where the carefully thought out course design prevents problems. With the exception of only one hole (maybe 2), you can see other groups playing from the front 9 nine tees if you're playing the back or vice-versa. It's not a problem at all! Whichever group teed off first can finish out first.

Crossing over a road after every hole seems like a chore. The course would be tremendously noisy with constant flowing traffic and goes against that whole "getting out into the outdoors" feel you get with a course in a park. Plus the added too-much-fade ending up in the turnabout danger on every single hole.

It could be that Park Circle itself is simply MUCH larger than most people think from just looking at it on a map. I've never heard anybody ever call it a turnabout, which I know can be quite small. A jogger once mentioned to me a walk all the way around the inside sidewalk is 1/2 of a mile long. As a result, it's common for people for people to walk or jog around twice.

Positives(probably mentioned before);
-Varying wind direction/conditions,
-Unique course
-Great layout if there is really nowhere else to put it

I really think it is a wonderfully unique course! And, as a matter of fact, it does have a very nice outdoorsy feel to it. In Spring, when all the Azalea bushes (very abundant here) are in bloom, you do NOT want to throw a pink disc or you're gonna have a hell of a hard time finding it (for a month).

There are also many large Live Oak trees (complete with Spanish Moss hanging down) that come into play as well. And, perhaps best of all, the City of North Charleston does a fine job cutting the grass and maintaining the course.

I've never seen trash cans overflowing, which can be common elsewhere.

I would still play this course if it was the only course within a half hour drive from my house, but I do enjoy the seclusion you get from playing a course in a park or wooded area that stays mostly away from the business of city life.

Trust me, if you lived anywhere near this course, you'd probably be out there playing it as often as the rest of us locals. No water hazards to lose discs in and it's a pretty good challenge for even top-notch players.

Speaking of hazards however, word has it that there are Black Widow Spiders that are confirmed to live in a big clump of bushes on the last hole. :eek: But, it might just be an urban legend to make the finishing hole a tad more exciting. :D Regardless, I always mention this to anyone playing on hole 9/18 for their first time. It's also mentioned on web page for that hole. Here's a link to that page in case anyone want to see that.

http://www.parkcirclediscgolf.com/disc-golf-hole9.htm

Thanks to ALL who've responded here and keep your feedback coming!

It's been very interesting to hear impressions of other disc golfers about our unique course. I knew there would be both positive and negative reactions. There's no doubt in my mind this course plays a lot better than most players imagine. Here's a link to its DGCR page in case anyone here wants to add it to their wish list.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=161

It currently has a 3 disc rating. Hopefully, if you can try it out for yourself in the future, you might agree that it does deserve an even higher rating.

I like that Circle course. That is very cool looking

It plays cool too. Here's a shot of hole #1 fairway with Azaleas blooming...

park-circle-hole-1c.jpg

It's more like playing in a giant garden than on the outside of a traffic circle!

That would be wise on a few holes, but I've also seen rollers work very well.

Bingo! The course is not too far from the Cooper River, so it can get breezy.

If you've only played it once, you should give it another try. No doubt this course can grow on you. It sounds like there might have been more traffic at the time/day you played it than is usually the case. You might even feel it deserves more than just a 2 disc rating! :)

I'll no doubt give it another try sometime. Traffic wasn't bad when I was there, but I'm really big on aesthetics, peace & quiet, so courses near roads tend to be not to my taste. As best I recall all the holes are good golf holes, with some open space and some obstacles and all well groomed.

On the other hand, I love Trophy Lakes so, when I'm in the area I'm more likely to be there instead.

that looks like an awefully poorly designed course and it might be a little hard to cross all of those streets.

It's a well-designed course for the property. Whether it's the best place for a disc golf course might be your question.

I think 3 of the "spokes" that you cross while playing are arteries, where you may have to wait to cross the street. Not major waits, but potential waits. You also have to cross the traffic circle itself between the parking lot and the course. The other 5 crossings are streets with virtually no traffic, as are the streets on the right side of the fairways.

that looks like an awefully poorly designed course and it might be a little hard to cross all of those streets.

Not at ALL! In fact, quite the contrary. It's an example of a beautiful public park that had big areas which essentially weren't being used at all. Well, except as a traffic sound buffer for the high dollar home located on the outer street named Park Place. Maybe another map will help more people to understand.

park-circle-map.jpg

Because of its excellent course design, very few discs ever leave the park! The baskets are carefully placed to prevent that from happening very often. It takes a really bad shot for that to occur. Sometimes it's the amount of space away from a street. On other holes, there are bushes in place to catch any throws that go too far. And, on some other holes, it's a combination of the two. Even for never-ever beginners, throwing a disc into a street is easily avoidable and often due to wind or bouncing off a tree.

Knowing of the Park Circle area well myself, upon first hearing a disc golf course had been installed, I was skeptical about how well it would work. But, I have to admit, I was VERY pleasantly surprised how good (+ challenging) the course was. The very first hole (tougher pin placement) hooked me! And, when I saw the original pin placement on hole #3, the reaction I had was "Holy $#*%, this layout is absolutely kicking my @$$".

Take a look at some photos (one web page for each hole) to get the idea!

It's a well-designed course for the property. Whether it's the best place for a disc golf course might be your question.

For a centralized urban setting, this course is pretty darn hard to beat. In the overall metro area, a trip to Park Circle is only 10-15 minutes away from almost anywhere. That's a major reason why it's so popular!

I think 3 of the "spokes" that you cross while playing are arteries, where you may have to wait to cross the street. Not major waits, but potential waits. You also have to cross the traffic circle itself between the parking lot and the course. The other 5 crossings are streets with virtually no traffic, as are the streets on the right side of the fairways.

Not exactly, but it could be hard to judge this if you have only played it once. There's really only one "artery" (from North Rhett to West Montague) if you want to call it that. For those who have never played it, it's from the 12 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position (or only 1/4 of overall circle). As a result, starting from hole #1, there's only ONE busier road to cross! And, on that hole, you can take a look at the circle to see if there are any cars coming or not. Virtually no waiting at any time (with a median in middle of the road if needed), even during rush hour. With both I-26 & I-526 so close by, those are the roads the majority of commuters use.

Here's an interesting concept... I met a guy playing 9 holes there who had sat in traffic on I-526 East that gets backed-up going on I-26 West. He figured out that if the traffic back up reaches the exit for the course, he could come play around once (to let traffic clear) and got home at the same time! Who here would rather sit in traffic than play disc golf? :D

As far as "road problems" go, I'd probably be wise to rest my case now. :p

Here's a map to show location of Park Circle in relation to local interstates...

park-circle-map2.jpg

This also shows how close the course is to the Cooper River, which flows to the Atlantic Ocean a few miles away. Wind from off the ocean can come in fairly strong at times, which makes this 360 degree layout more challenging (ever-changing wind). This map also shows the Exit numbers on I-26 + I-526 for any visitors who'd like to try it. It's not just a pitch and putt by any means!

I've played this course plenty of times. I should warn you that I am one of the most unpredictable drivers you will ever meet, and I have never once even thrown it close to the central circle. I agree with Gamecock, it's much more like playing in a garden than in a traffic circle (especially in the spring). However, I do understand how the urban setting would turn many off. I'd give it a 3.5 or maybe a 3, but it's definitely worth your time.

As it is, 3 to 3.5 seems right. If this course had ALL cement tees and some signs, it might even be worthy of a 4 to 4.5. We've got new cement tees for #10 + #18 on back nine, so 11 down, only 7 to go!

Signs aren't exactly desperately needed because there's only 1 hole per green area island (with 1 exception). You can spot most back nine alternate tees when playing off the front cement tees...

I don't think most here need to hear that from a trusted reviewer to come to the same conclusion.

Yes, it's worth your time (and maybe even a drive out of your way when traveling) to play this puppy!

BTW, apologies to anyone at DGCR who saw blank images in this thread or couldn't log on to the site late last month. Due to record setting traffic and bandwidth usage, the PCDG site exceeded its monthly bandwidth quota. It's now been DOUBLED, so that issue should NEVER happen again!

I'd choose to wait until one of our trusted reviewers plays the course and posts a review.

If you checked out the reviews, you'd have noticed I reviewed it more than a year ago. I also gave the course plenty of attention here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5217
The course was the ideal course when I started the "average" course thread.
You'll find plenty of courses better than it, but it's also better than a lot. In the Charleston area, it's the 2nd best course. Trophy Lakes is far and away the best in there, but Park Circle holds its own against the others.

The course was the ideal course when I started the "average" course thread.

Good idea for an interesting thread!

You'll find plenty of courses better than it, but it's also better than a lot.

That's true. I'm sure there are LOTS of other DG courses that also circle around a building, lake or something else (like the giant photo on the first page of this thread). But the fact that the Park Circle DGC has a truly symmetrical 360 degree overall layout has to make it quite unique.

I really have to doubt that there is another course similar to it anywhere!

In the Charleston area, it's the 2nd best course. Trophy Lakes is far and away the best in there, but Park Circle holds its own against the others.

That, my friend, is more a matter of opinion. You're a much better (and longer) than average player that doesn't fear a water hazard at all. Yes, it has some longer holes (and signs) that Park Circle does not have.

For big arms and advanced players who really want a major challenge, it is much better - no question. But, what about a newbie beginner or a family traveling on vacation? That course could truly be a nightmare!

Running out of discs playing with the kids is a possibility with all the water out there. That would be a real bummer. It's nice they hold on to any found discs (+ offer lower retrieval fee for us CDGC members), but...

Maybe I'm a bit biased against it since I bought a Hydra (just for that course) and never got a call about it? Or, maybe I should have bought that (Golden?) disc retriever they sell there? I came close to buying one the second time I played there (& should have). Hindsight is sure 20/20!

In my opinion (and I admit to a positive bias), Park Circle is a better DGC for the average player, with average skills. Low chances of losing a disc makes it ideal to introduce the sport to a never-ever, plus fearless big arms will dig it too. :)

Well, I said there wasn't a LOT of danger of it.

I've only played that course once, and my review was 2-discs, so I'm not defending it. But my recall is that the danger of throwing into a busy street was minimal. Some of the streets have virtually no traffic, and even then it's probably fairly rare. Though I did avoid throwing rollers, for fear they'd take off in the wrong direction and never stop.

If there are discs going into the street, and a local would have to answer that, I suspect really high winds would be the culprit.

I am a regular at Park Circle as I only live 10 minutes away. The only drawback to the roads is crossing them between holes. On the brightside...not every road between holes are busy (only one has frequent traffic). To be honest, I am often not even payin attention when I cross the roads due to the inactivity. As far as the inner circle goes, it would take one hell of a bad shot to hit the road. On holes where the road seems close to the basket, the lines in which you would take to the basket are generally nowhere near the road. The roads are there...but I personally have seen maybe 2 or 3 discs reach the roads.

Latest posts