• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen a 360 Degree course like THIS?

There's only ONE course on a military base here and that's the Naval Weapons Station. No checkpoint to go through there and a McDonalds is nearby as well.

The other one you must be thinking of is Buccaneer Bay at Charleston Southern University. I truly HATE they want those 9 holes to be for staff, faculty and current CSU students only. For a Christian school, that policy is NOT Very Christian like! I took some graduate courses there, but apparently that's just not good enough? I have NOT given up trying to convince the school to make this course open to the public - especially since the area it is located in WAS fine for public to be in (prior to DG baskets being installed).

Yeah, that was it. I'm not sure what I was thinking about at the time. lol I'd forgot I even wrote that. I was just in Charleston, unfortunately I only had time to hit Trophy and Johns Island DGC. I was coming from the south, and didn't have a lot of time. I seen one of the reviews mentioned, they had parked near the stadium, and just walked on. I don't know if I'm going to mess with those two, unless they become open to the public. I really want to play park circle though. I like the way it's setup. I need to sneak down there sometime!

-Russ must be thinking of MB :D

Wow, that course looks terrible. Fairways crossing all over each other! Might as well just call it a 9-hole with 2 sets of tees and an alt pin placement.

Congrats to CDGC for getting tee signs up, ya'll have done a great job!

On behalf of all of us in CDGC and the famous "Team Chuck", Thank You Very Much!

Getting the signs up is a real benefit for any visitors. It also makes the sport of disc golf, plus the course itself, much more high-profile for people driving by it.

But getting those last 7 tees done in concrete was a long-term goal that has finally been achieved too. Those will benefit all of us who will actually play it! :D

Some of those old back nine dirt tees had tree roots one could trip over...

Check out the above banner ad upgrade to help inform the masses about this.

Thanks for your positive feedback!

I was just in Charleston, unfortunately I only had time to hit Trophy and Johns Island DGC.

Thanks for taking some photos of the brand new Johns Island course. It's pretty darn close to Trophy Lakes and could be a good (free) warm up 9 if anyone is going there. That layout (especially the tee right by those tennis court) is a bit screwy, but it's nice to have another local course in the area.

I was coming from the south, and didn't have a lot of time.

You probably drove right by I-526 turn-off for Park Circle on the way home...

I really want to play park circle though. I like the way it's setup.

You will like it a LOT more now that we have 18 cement tees & um 17 signs. Yes, a curse (by a witch?) has now been put on whoever stole our Hole #18 sign.

I need to sneak down there sometime!

That you do! Sounds to me like you still have FOUR local courses to play...

If you gimme a holler in advance of your trip, I'll be glad to go 2-3 with you!

Wow, that course looks terrible. Fairways crossing all over each other!

No, it's not terrible at all. In fact, it's just the opposite - absolutely awesome!

If you are judging only from the map(s) on the home page, I can see where one may get confused and think the layout might not be as fun to play as it really is. Generally, you'll always have one eighth of overall outside circle all for yourself! The 8 course islands are MUCH larger in person, than on a map. View the pix on the 9 web pages for the 9/18 different holes and see!

Might as well just call it a 9-hole with 2 sets of tees and an alt pin placement.

Right, that's exactly what it is! I apologize if I have implied something else...

It's such an unusual layout, it's hard for even some DG players to understand.

Bottom line is... It works. So well, you never want to leave to go home! LOL

I'll try to negate the Park Circle "danger" factor here...

Looks interesting, but kind of dangerous.

Yes, it's a VERY unique and interesting course! I really have to doubt there's another one quite like it - anywhere else on the globe! And, I don't say that lightly.

As for being dangerous, that's simply just not the case here. Let me explain...

When you park in the parking lot in the middle of the circle, you have to cross the road to get to #1 tee. Since traffic on the circle only goes in 1 direction, you don't even have to look both ways! ;)

For the first seven holes, you do NOT have to cross a single busy street or road.

To get to the #8 tee, you do have to cross 1 semi-busy road (depends on day and time). Yes, you do have to look both ways when crossing there... But, as a matter of fact, cars at this spot often slow down to let you cross! Call that Southern Hospitality if you'd like. (Seriously, Charleston gets voted #1 as "America's Most Polite City" every year & word is #2 is not even close!)

After that, you can finish your round without another busy road/street to cross.

It's actually safe enough to bring young kids with you to play, which is great!

Last edited:
Oh I know right where to exit. Rhett Blvd. On this occasion, I was staying with my wife's folks. They live down by Walterboro. I came up through Ravenal, and turned by Hardees. Played the two, and went back to her folks house. I was still recovering from my day in Augusta, but I felt not so stiff and sore. So I chomped down some Ibuprofen, and headed out! lol I didn't want to over do it, and really hurt myself.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. The first two holes were weird. Now call me strange, I actually kinda liked that 3rd hole. That was kinda fun. Playing around the Tennis courts, the dogleg surprised me. You should see the pics from Johns Island I didn't post. I'll have to find the thread again. I got some great pics of 4.

Here are 2 that I didn't upload from Johns Island. Nice park! It definitely has that low-country feel to it. ...well, 4,5,6,7,and 8 do. The rest... not so much.

Attachments

• 0410101520.jpg
    0410101520.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 0410101519a.jpg
    0410101519a.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 8
The first two holes were weird. Now call me strange, I actually kinda liked that 3rd hole. That was kinda fun. Playing around the Tennis courts, the dogleg surprised me.

Well, I thought first 2 holes there were typical - 2 chances to get an ace. Since you've already had one now, you're not searching for "Easy to Ace" holes like many of us! LOL

As for tee by tennis court, I saw a forum post where somebody felt strongly it "needs to be fixed". If somebody was playing tennis on that closest court, they probably won't like that tee. That has to be the weirdest hole in town! It's hard to figure out where to go there, but your pics with arrows will help.

You should see the pics from Johns Island I didn't post. I'll have to find the thread again. I got some great pics of 4.

Yes, those are are real nice! If you go long on that hole. you go in the lake. I had to fish one out of there when I was there. Fortunately, somebody left a branch stick to help bring it to the edge and grab it. Bet there's more in it!

Getting back to the Park Circle DGC (subject of this thread)... Have you seen the new course pics with new signs and "back 9" cement tees yet? If not, go take a look (and let me know what you think)!

Last edited:
My apologies for the thread jack. ;) I'm going to check them out now.

Carousel Park, DE is one giant 360 degree loop, 18 hole course.

Very nice! Looks great! You are right though, it looks bigger in the individual pictures, than from the sky. I'm real anxious about stopping by there the next time I'm in Charleston! Tee's look great!

Carousel Park, DE is one giant 360 degree loop, 18 hole course.

Most courses attempt to bring you back near where you teed off at hole #1.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/3678/919ab162.gif

I looked at the course map for that DE course (linked above), but there are some up and back holes. On those, the wind basically remains the same (just opposite direction).

What I think makes Park Circle so unique as a 360 degree course is each hole is almost Exactly 45 Degrees (or 12.5%) of all the way around! The wind changes a little on every hole. Only 1 of 8 green area islands has 2 holes on it (great choice!). Basically, all the rest are set to where you throw from one end of it to the other.

Most courses have 2 loops back to the parking lot or a figure 8. Carousel is the only course I've played that is just one 18 hole loop, its not a perfect circle, but you can't get back to the parking lot from hole 9 or 10 which is odd. Park Circle is looks like a pretty unique layout too.

My apologies for the thread jack. ;) I'm going to check them out now.

No problem! My apology to others for rambling on about that other SC Lowcountry course too...

Did you ever check out the Disc Golf History page too? If not, go see the Short History of flying discs, Frisbee®, Ultimate + Disc Golf from the 1920's up until Today also! I'm clearly biased, but I think it's THE Best you'll find anywhere on the net! Some info on Ultimate, Guts + other disc sports makes it unique too. :D

Don't miss the OLD ads (from 1960's) for various old school Wham-O Frisbees (at bottom of that same page)! See the claims made for Fastback Frisbee model for example... Revolutionary Design! Unbelievable Speed! Throws Faster, Flies Farther, etc. It helps you realize how much has changed since then...

Too bad nothing at Park Circle DGC for WBDGW...

I wish we had something set up at Park Circle for "World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend"! WBDGW really is a great way to introduce new people to the sport.

Below is a standard-size (468x60) banner ad for those having an event.

http://www.wbdgw.com/

We'll have to try hard to get something scheduled for next year for Sure! LOL

Last edited:
Most courses have 2 loops back to the parking lot or a figure 8. Carousel is the only course I've played that is just one 18 hole loop, its not a perfect circle, but you can't get back to the parking lot from hole 9 or 10 which is odd. Park Circle is looks like a pretty unique layout too.

It's nice to have the option to just play 9 (and be near where you started) if it gets too hot, dark or you have to be somewhere else soon. I'd hate #9 being on the far side of an 18 hole course. That makes it like you gotta play 18 holes or none at all.

Thanks for the compliment on the Park Circle course. If anybody hasn't seen the web site for this course in awhile, go see it. There's been many updates!

The Links page leads you to 2 different ONLINE Disc Golf Games and there's a cool Disc Golf Sim software program you can download to try a demo.

I played Park Circle when visiting North Charleston for a Widespread Panic show. I liked the course. It makes the most of the available space. We had planned to play at Tidal Creek, but it was underwater and unplayable. My buddy wandered away after the show, and it took hours to find him. Possibly the circles disoriented him, or it might have been the Widespread Panic. Not sure.

Must be a regional thing---I can only think of a couple of courses in our area with this configuration. Most around here are a single loop---you leave the parking lot and don't see it again until Hole 18.

Latest posts