• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway driver

drock2k1

Bogey Member
So, I have looked at fairway drivers and often wondered what on eath their purpose is. If I'm close (within 150ft) I will just use my Roc or putter, if I'm further away I'll just use a driver and take some off. I played in a tourney this weekend and had about 4 or 5 situatins where I was too far away for my Roc so I took some power off my driver only to see it fade past the basket into trouble amd cost me a shot at birdie. So my question is...do I need a fairway driver and if so, what would you recommend? I need accuracy over distance. Thanks

I don't think I have a "legitimate" fairway driver in my bag. Anything 200' and in I'll throw my putter, 200' to 300' I'll usually throw a Wasp or a Buzzz and 300' and up I'll throw a driver.

Do you have any other midranges than your Roc that you are comfortable throwing? You'll be really surprised at the distance you can get with them if you work on it! =)

So, I have looked at fairway drivers and often wondered what on eath their purpose is. If I'm close (within 150ft) I will just use my Roc or putter, if I'm further away I'll just use a driver and take some off. I played in a tourney this weekend and had about 4 or 5 situatins where I was too far away for my Roc so I took some power off my driver only to see it fade past the basket into trouble amd cost me a shot at birdie. So my question is...do I need a fairway driver and if so, what would you recommend? I need accuracy over distance. Thanks

..pick up a star leopard and get it done. The disc is capable of anhyzer/hyzer releases with a very dependable flight pattern. I use it for tight shots and anhyzer shots under 250 ft with great accuracy. I was just wondering (on the course) why I don't use it more often. The disc is predictable.

Don't get hung up on the term 'fairway'. I can throw my Teebirds just as far as my SLs (when I still threw SLs) and my Wraiths (when I throw the Wraiths correctly). Still think of them as drivers. I've thrown a Teebird over 400' and I average about 330' with one.

..pick up a star leopard and get it done. The disc is capable of anhyzer/hyzer releases with a very dependable flight pattern. I use it for tight shots and anhyzer shots under 250 ft with great accuracy. I was just wondering (on the course) why I don't use it more often. The disc is predictable.

Any reason for a Star and not DX or champ?

I don't think I have a "legitimate" fairway driver in my bag. Anything 200' and in I'll throw my putter, 200' to 300' I'll usually throw a Wasp or a Buzzz and 300' and up I'll throw a driver.

Do you have any other midranges than your Roc that you are comfortable throwing? You'll be really surprised at the distance you can get with them if you work on it! =)

I used to have a Shark but gave it a way cause I hated it. I considered a Buzz but I thought the Buzz and Roc were pretty much the same disc.

Yes, I think Fairway Drivers are useful. Instead of taking off some power with your long range drivers, you can use a fairway driver instead and not fade hard past the basket. I like to use an Innova Gazelle, Ching Velocity, Gateway Sabre. Longer fairway drivers I recommend a Teebird or a Leopard. All these fairway drivers are designed for straight fairway shots that don't need a lot of power and ultra long distances.

Yes, I think Fairway Drivers are useful. Instead of taking off some power with your long range drivers, you can use a fairway driver instead and not fade hard past the basket. I like to use an Innova Gazelle, Ching Velocity, Gateway Sabre. Longer fairway drivers I recommend a Teebird or a Leopard. All these fairway drivers are designed for straight fairway shots that don't need a lot of power and ultra long distances.

Does the Leopard hold a straigher line than the Teebird?

A Teebird traditionally holds a straighter line. A DX Leopard will tend to anhyzer a bit when thrown hard, but should fly straight when you let off. Although a Champion Leopard flies straighter. I recommend owning both discs and trying them out, they are GREAT discs! You definitely will find uses for both discs on any course and most holes. These are control discs and are extremely easy to manage.

Last edited:
Any reason for a Star and not DX or champ?

I've only used the Leopard in Star plastic and that's I all I can comment on this disc. I like Star plastic because it beats in quicker than champ and a hell of alot less than DX.

I have been using it for intermediate fairway shots and precise anhyzer flicks with surprising success.

I think the fairway driver label is due to the new breed of + speed 11 discs out on the market. The leopard is a great beginners disc and will work out just fine for precise anhyzer shots.

A Teebird traditionally holds a straighter line. A DX Leopard will tend to anhyzer a bit when thrown hard, but should fly straight when you let off. Although a Champion Leopard flies straighter. I recommend owning both discs and trying them out, they are GREAT discs! You definitely will find uses for both discs on any course and most holes. These are control discs and are extremely easy to manage.

I agree!

A lot of the discs you talked about here are not even fairway drivers. They are true midranges.

I use the viper a lot which is referred as a fairway driver. When it came on the seen in 90 it did a lot to revolutionize the game, according to what I have been reading. In 92 and 93 it held the distance records at over 600 feet.

My guess would be that when these new high speed discs started to show up they had to do something to distinguish between them, hence the name fairway driver. I have been in sales and marketing for 18 years and this is quite common.

Anyway, for me having a fairway driver is a must. There are a lot of times the throw is to far for my mid's but a driver would be overkill and I would have to take to much off of it thereby making it harder to control. A disc is designed to fly a certain way and for me a slowed down driver is a lousy throw waiting to happen.

I like to think of fairway drivers as "control drivers" which someone has already mentioned. They are predictable and easier to control than drivers. I carry 4-Teebird, TL, Leopard, and Eagle. Both the Leopard (pro) and Eagle (Champion) are understable and the other two are stable; the TL has slightly less fade. I think the Leopard would be a great first fairway driver, if not, then definitley the Teebird.

I like to think of fairway drivers as "control drivers" which someone has already mentioned. They are predictable and easier to control than drivers.

Agreed, I carry 2 TB's and 1 TL when I need control and predictability. My brain and hands just seem to know how to put a TeeBird close to the basket from anywhere.

I think of distance drivers like a driver in ball golf, and fairway drivers like your old faithful 3-wood or 5-wood.

...if I'm further away I'll just use a driver and take some off...

If you're choosing between a Roc or putter and a distance driver, you really need to re-evaluate. "Taking some off" a distance driver is like driving a tank to the drug store two blocks away through friendly territory. It's got everything you don't need, and it costs you way more to get there. A distance driver doesn't perform how it is intended when you "take some off," and you can accomplish whatever you're trying to do much more consistently with a slower disc, either another mid-range or a fairway driver.

So, I have looked at fairway drivers and often wondered what on eath their purpose is.
In another time, not so long ago before the big bomb wide rimmed drivers of today were invented, today's "fairway drivers" (hate that term BTW) were the distance drivers of their time.

What purpose do they serve today? Well, to people who don't have the mitts and fingers to properly grip a Boss, Force, Destroyer or whatnot or the arm speed to fling them, fairway drivers still fulfill the purpose they once did for everybody. Every long range driver in my bag, sans a couple would be in the "fairway" class, and those two distance drivers don't see much play time, because there simply aren't that many holes I play that neccesitate their use.

I use a champion eagle or a dx cheetah for shots between about 270' and 320' (longer than I can accurately throw my roc, but not long enough to pull out a fast driver). The eagle will go straight with a fade at the end or hold a long hyzer, and loves to skip on a sweeping hyzer. The cheetah will go perfectly straight, and sit down with no fade, or hold a nice long anny without rolling away at the end.