• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Distance Driver

JBaskins

Guys,

Today I threw my 175 gram Champion Teebird 345 feet. I realize that this is a fairway driver and I have to believe that I am missing out on a few extra feet by using a fairway driver. Before I go and buy a distance driver I thought I would ask you all what driver you recommend for "controllable" distance. I prefer a relatively straight shot if possible. Thanks for your input.

I just got a SL and I am quite pleased with it. It seem very controllable and goes quite far. I also have a Champ Viking that goes almost as far, and is also quite controllable.

I agree on the SL. My SL is my straightest driver, for both BH and FH. A Champion Valkyrie is also good.

As much as I love both the Starfire and the TeeRex, they are going to be much more overstable. I agree with the SL mentioned above as that is supposed to be longer and straighter than the Starfire. I would also say that the Viking would be a good pick-up. I found that I really liked the Wraith but it is going to be different.

If you want to try something other than Innova, I would look at a Surge or Avenger from Discraft.

My absolute favorite distance driver is a very lightly beat dx wraith, it's the only disc I can consistently break 365' on flat ground with, and the only one I've thrown over 400' on flat ground.

My absolute favorite distance driver is a very lightly beat dx wraith, it's the only disc I can consistently break 365' on flat ground with, and the only one I've thrown over 400' on flat ground.

My 161 DX beat Wraith is the one I just broke 300ft with. I love that disc.

Guys,

Today I threw my 175 gram Champion Teebird 345 feet. I realize that this is a fairway driver and I have to believe that I am missing out on a few extra feet by using a fairway driver. Before I go and buy a distance driver I thought I would ask you all what driver you recommend for "controllable" distance. I prefer a relatively straight shot if possible. Thanks for your input.

I love the Teebird for its controllability/distance combo, and I throw my 171 champ around the same distance as you. For a true distance driver though, I love the Surge SS. I've been finding all kinds of controllable distance lines with this driver.

As much as I love both the Starfire and the TeeRex, they are going to be much more overstable. I agree with the SL mentioned above as that is supposed to be longer and straighter than the Starfire. I would also say that the Viking would be a good pick-up. I found that I really liked the Wraith but it is going to be different.

If you want to try something other than Innova, I would look at a Surge or Avenger from Discraft.
if hes throwin a 175teebird 350 he could throw a starfire, i would start in the upper 160s-lower 170s . The teerex is beast though so id get a star as low as you can find, i got one at 168 which is a few grams too heavy for my arm, but i cant throw a new 175 teebird that far.

maybe im biased as i dont throw stable or understable for distance , but i like the control and cosistency of an overstable disc, even if that might lose me a few yards or not always land me in the perfect spot.My moto is %%%

Guys,

go to innovas site and look at the flight lines , i think the starfire is the line your looking for. the teerex dosnt have a line on there but it supposed to be a long distance driver with the line of a teebird, but its pretty overstable so be warned .

My Orc flies like a faster Teebird so you may want to try that out. My absolute favorite distance driver though is the Wraith.

Let me say that I am totally new to distance drivers. I got a Pro Destroyer when i as first driver and hated it. Got it stuck in a tree and didn't even throw a stick at it to get retrieve it. I had been using a Champ Lepoard and DX Whippet(Most Dependable Disc Ever) as my primary drivers until recently when I bought a Star Wraith. The Wraith has added at least 30ft to my drives. I would recommend it to anybody. Consider it.

Let me say that I am totally new to distance drivers. I got a Pro Destroyer when i as first driver and hated it. Got it stuck in a tree and didn't even throw a stick at it to get retrieve it. I had been using a Champ Lepoard and DX Whippet(Most Dependable Disc Ever) as my primary drivers until recently when I bought a Star Wraith. The Wraith has added at least 30ft to my drives. I would recommend it to anybody. Consider it.

I don't recommend a Wraith is less you really have a good, strong throw. I would start with a Valk or a Viking or an LS Polaris

My new favorite driver is the Monarch. This is probably because I dont have a big arm but its one of the faster ones yet less stable than a lot of the ones mentioned here. Its 166 weight and at first, since it only comes in Champ plastic, I figured out to throw the anhyzer S with it, but have been taking the anhyzer off it a little bit here and there. Forehand, I have gotten my best drives with it up over 350'.

Not great at a consitatat FH yet for meas I had been playing dominantly BH, but I definately am working on it after the success I've had with the Monarch.

I'm also an understable driver thrower, and the Monarch has really gained me a lot of distance. Depending on your throwing style you mentioned you wanted distance, but as straight as possible. I can throw my Roadrunner VERY long and still keep it straight, it has little to no fade at the end of the flight, however it is not as stable as your teebird. What I've found both on my own and talking with others is that the star plastic in the roadrunner stays more stable than champ plastic.
If you have friends who play, try and see if they will let you throw theirs before you go out and buy anything!

My Orc flies like a faster Teebird so you may want to try that out. My absolute favorite distance driver though is the Wraith.

I threw my farthest drive (375ft confirmed on Google Earth) on flat ground today with my 175 Star Wraith so I'd have to go with that.

I personally love my Champion Monarch, but it is pretty understable. Recently I picked up a Champion Valkerye and it sounds like just what you're looking for. very staight and very far with very little effort.

i sold my champion teebird and bought a champion orc, it was well worth it! its amazing! very pleased with it, i dont see why he wanted to sell, and it was broken in! anyways, its a great drive, i put a slight touch aof anyhzer on it and it will flatten out and sail
another good disc is discraft's elite z wild cat, fantastic disc, wouldnt trade it at all