• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Favorites going OOP??

Well sure it grips better than say a buttered pie plate, but compared to every other type of plastic I've ever owned or fondled, I would rate the 4 Z discs I own as the least grippy of the bunch. Pre-jolly launcher champion isn't much better, but it's enough grippier to notice.

True...

There is some very nice Elite Z though, like pearly Z Buzzz, etc. The more opaque Z is in between Z and ESP and has poorer grip than either. I was looking at some Hornets in this stuff at a shop the other day.

Well, I have sticky fingers, so pretty much everything grips fine for me :p

You also live in Georgia. For us northerners z is the worst snow plastic around. I mean I don't throw any champ style in the snow, but z is the worst. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of ti wasps and a couple esp still.

You also live in Georgia. For us northerners z is the worst snow plastic around. I mean I don't throw any champ style in the snow, but z is the worst. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of ti wasps and a couple esp still.

I have played in the snow before. It wasn't alot of snow, and it wasn't two degrees out, but the discs got wet, cold, and covered in snow. It wasn't very good grip, but compared to my other non-dx discs, it was about the same.

Not sure about favorites, but Innova has OOP the SL and currently the FL. My brother got me a Star FL for my birthday last year. I heard everything favorable about the Firebird, but didn't have the rocket arm to throw it so I decided to get the FL, which is not a big meat hook that the Firebird is but it had a bit more distance and easier to throw, in my opinion. When I go to Innova's website, not only was the SL slot gone but the FL slot as well. The L series seemed to be made for those who wanted the regular model, but not as stable and a bit farther.

On the TL3, I don't think that is going away any time soon. Innova had the Archangel, understable and Dragon, slightly understable to stable as their only speed 8 drivers. They retooled one of their moat popular drivers, TeeBird, and made the stable to overstable speed 8 drivers they were missing from their product line.

Looking for a good Ontario Cobra replacement? Give a Mystic a try, get one of the Sure Grip ones, they come board flat and have been compared to old Pro Cobras, plastic feels KC stiff with Pro D grip. Feels like a cross between a shallow Mako and a beefy Stingray in the hand.

TL3 I don't expect to go oop any time soon but its a staple and I have no idea what's similar to it.

Last would be the mako3, which I could see them phasing out to avoid confusion with their new vtech line. I would probably try a prodigy m3 or m4 but those are just guesses.
I could cycle DX Teebirds to to cover the TL3, but to be honest I've got an MVP Volt that flies about the same as my G* TL3 and I know the Volt better, so the TL doesn't get brought out as often as it could.

I'm not sure I see Innova ditching the Mako/3 molds. They don't seem to mind overlap, and the Vtech molds seem to concentrate on being "torque resistant". My Mako is very susceptible to OAT and doesn't like to be cranked hard on. For me it's a pure finesse point to point disc, but it's fairly unique in that aspect. If I had to lose it I could cover the shots I throw with it between Buzzz's and the Axiom Theory, but I'd miss my Mako.

The mold I can't duplicate is my upper 160's first run Volt. That sucker is magic for me, and the other volts I've bought have been great discs, but don't fly the same lines. I'm hoping Plasma plastic will result in Volts with a little less HSS. Otherwise I'm well and truly screwed when/if I lose my baby.

The mold I can't duplicate is my upper 160's first run Volt. That sucker is magic for me, and the other volts I've bought have been great discs, but don't fly the same lines. I'm hoping Plasma plastic will result in Volts with a little less HSS. Otherwise I'm well and truly screwed when/if I lose my baby.

Yup. I agree, they need to bring back the First Run Volts.