• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FH Roc Flight Question

coldsweat

Birdie Member
So I know this is kind of a weird question. But I was just wondering what I am doing wrong when i fh a roc. The FH mid approach is a big part of my game. I have way more confidence in accuracy when I can look at my target the whole time. I mostly use this shot between 150 and 200. Less than that and more than that I do better backhand. For some reason the 150 to 200 range my backhand accuracy is not the greatest.

Whenever I FH a roc it always flips. This is not as far as I know OAT. I know what that looks like because I went through a yearlong period where I had it bad… Whenever I FH a roc it starts out heading straight with the disc tilted to the right, than about 100 feet down the fairway the disc starts cutting turning towards the left hard and then at the very end of its flight it will dump to the right. I find this really odd because whenever I bh it I can't flip it at all. Just laser straight with a healthy fade at the end to about 250 (max weight rancho both dx and KC about 8/10).

When I fh a comet at the same power and the same hyzer angle release it flips up and goes straight and then at the very end of the flight drifts a little left softly (RHFH). And whenever I FH a wizard it just goes straight the entire time out to around 100-180. When I FH a buzzz it goes straight the entire time than fades at the end (same as when I bh it, this is what I am hoping to find out of a roc). I love the roc BH for almost everything but the FH mid approach is such a big aspect to my game. It makes me want to carry a buzzz. But carrying a buzzz messes with my bh stroke for the rocs and comets since they fly differently. Idk. Is it me…is it the disc? Any help would be appreciated.

It's you, especially if you can FH a Comet fine and it is a similar shape and less torque resistant than a Roc.
If you can FH approach well with a Buzzz, then bag it for those shots.

just don't FH approach with the roc then. Comets are weird in an awesome way.

What kind of Comet are you throwing? I always remembered with my Z comets that practicing sidearms with them they seemed to feel so much heavier and with that extra weight feeling/illusion it was so much easier to time a good sidearm (especially the snap at the end). Since they felt so heavy I naturally released them with hyzer - which would result in the typical comet flip up flight, but seemed to have a healthy fade at the end (unlike backhands which would just go straight and land straight).

I also sidearm Nova's and Atlases and its a similar feeling sidearming, they feel so much heavier when doing sidearm and I release them with hyzer which would land with a healthy fade at the end (which when backhanded would just land straight).

I can sidearm my KC Pro Rocs though, as well as Discmania Pro MD3 (in between a comet and kc pro roc)... I can sidearm anything I guess, but I definitely need a little warm up to get the feel for a specific disc (especially if its understable or neutral like a Nova).

Last edited:
My comet is a slightly seasoned (7.5-8/10) X-Comet. I don't know. It is just goofy. In my mind I throw them both the same. But knowing how they both work for me BH pretty much tells me I am wrong. Just wish I knew what it could be. Cause it absolutely does not look like OAT. It looks like a massive hyzerflip flex shot. Its def the disc working to the left on its own accord. It starts out going straight for a good portion of its flight and you can visually watch it turn over around 100 feet or so down the fairway. Is it a snap vs speed kind of thing?

My comet is a slightly seasoned (7.5-8/10) X-Comet. I don't know. It is just goofy. In my mind I throw them both the same. But knowing how they both work for me BH pretty much tells me I am wrong. Just wish I knew what it could be. Cause it absolutely does not look like OAT. It looks like a massive hyzerflip flex shot. Its def the disc working to the left on its own accord. It starts out going straight for a good portion of its flight and you can visually watch it turn over around 100 feet or so down the fairway. Is it a snap vs speed kind of thing?

well with a backhand you can easily get so much more spin on a disc. thats part of why I think when I sidearmed my comets they had so much more Low Speed Stability.... they'd still do a hyzerflip up... but less spin (when sidearmed) would mean healthy fade at the end of the flight... while a backhand you have a lot more spin it just maintains its line (usually straight) and results in little to no fade.

there must be some sort of unconscious compensation when you try to sidearm those rocs in that split second snap at the end. The rocs are naturally a lot more overstable and maybe its just you mind triggering a little more turnover on that nanosecond before the snap/release/follow through.

It's you, but that's not necessarily a bad thing to know. Sometimes certain discs just don't feel right.

I have the same problem with Roc's forehand. I can FH a Comet, Cobra, Panther, Truth and Mako just fine, but it's something about the rim of a Roc just hangs up a bit on me. If I baby it and concentrate on throwing it I can manage the Roc fine, but it's not a natural throw/feel when making approach shots so I end up loosing focus on my target.

I just don't FH Roc's, simple as that. My main FH approach discs are the Truth, Suspect and Mako and I'm fine with that.

Maybe the Roc sits in your hand a bit differently than does the Comet and the Roc comes out more nose down.

large diameter discs don't FH as well as a rule. I like a small mid like a Cro or Cell over a Roc for that reason.

i had issues with throwing consistent FHs with rocs, and believe me I tried to make it work. i've been using discraft and prodigy and have had no issues since ditching the rocs.

It sounds like some sort of mental block to me. Have you tried throwing your Rocs exactly like your Comets? Sometimes when I am throwing more overstable mids and putters I naturally throw harder or faster trying to achieve the desired flight line with the knowledge that they are overstable. Try to consciously slow your arm down and focus on the snap at the end of the throw.

Even if you fluff a couple really bad that end up fading right on you really early it will give you a mistake on the other end of the throwing spectrum and you can slowly hone in on the sweet spot.

If it is any consolation, I find Rocs very speed sensitive. I prefer Buzzes over Rocs in all situations.

^yes I would agree with that as well.

I dont even attempt to FH my vectors anymore. Ill just use a fairway and gave up trying to be Big Jerm lol.

I wanted to be Jerm when I started so badly, but realized Ricky's mechanics are much more easy for my body to handle. cant master that hyzerflipping for distance with something as understable as Jerm throws.

I never quite clicked with the Roc. Over the years, I've tried several different times and had to accept that it's just not meant to be.

I also have trouble throwing beaded discs FH. I threw Rocs for years, but had to switch midranges when I started throwing FH. I get a much cleaner FH release with shallow discs like the Verdict, Truth, Evidence, M4, Theory, Colt, Harp, Atom, etc.

So sorta you, sorta the disc?

03510097a5be50f89db5ab5d39b21972.jpg

i never liked forehanding with a roc myself. That bead is just not good for it, seems like the release isn't clean unless you're just good. My friend can fh rocs all day and accurately. For me, I feel it's not a beginner friendly disc for that.

Latest posts