• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finder's fee

I've seen a $2 disc diver, and gladly tipped one of the player's young sons for disc retrieval from a reflecting pool during a tournament, but a $5 ransom is steep. Probably demands $10 if it's signed as an ace disc. I vote d*ck move. :thmbdown:

Demanding money to return property that does not belong to you is flat out illegal. So that makes the guy a scum bag.

If the person retrieving the disc is doing it to make money, well, isn't that the American way?

If the person retrieving the disc is doing it to make money, well, isn't that the American way?

The concept of finders law stipulates that the person that lost the disc is still the owner and possession of lost property is theft in the eyes of the law. Unless charging a ransom for stolen property is the American way, I'd have to disagree with you Monkeypaws.

If the person has permission from the land owner to retrieve discs from the lake, $5 is a little high but still reasonable.

He is providing a service, and thus should be compensated. The fact that it is DX is irrelevant. The service is the same if it is DX, champ, or CE.

Be happy you are getting a call and given the opportunity to get your disc back. There are many disc divers out there who do not even give you the opportunity.

I found a disc at my local course and called the number with an out-of-state area code. The guy was stoked that I called and told me it was his all-time favorite disc and that he wanted me to mail it to him. I wouldn't take any money for it and told him to pay it forward. About a month after sending him his disc back, I get a random package in the mail - a brand-new Champ Glow X-Cal! Believe in the system folks...it works if we all believe!

He is providing a service, and thus should be compensated.
He's providing a service that the person he's asking to compensate him never asked him to do. It would be another thing entirely had he been asked.

If the person has permission from the land owner to retrieve discs from the lake, $5 is a little high but still reasonable.

He is providing a service, and thus should be compensated. The fact that it is DX is irrelevant. The service is the same if it is DX, champ, or CE.

Be happy you are getting a call and given the opportunity to get your disc back. There are many disc divers out there who do not even give you the opportunity.

:doh:

He's providing a service that the person he's asking to compensate him never asked him to do. It would be another thing entirely had he been asked.

It is situational dependent and depends a lot on the property owner and if the disc is lost and abandoned or lost and the original owner of the disc intended to come back and get it.

In a majority of the situations, I would say it was lost and abandoned. Once abandoned, do you really have any right to it at all, much less to request the service in advance?

Personally, I have no problem paying $5 to get a disc back that I really liked. If I didn't like it, I have no problem letting the disc diver keep it. Most important is getting the call and the ability to decide if I want it back or not.

I used to do a lot of disc diving. Personally I never charged a fee (other than actual shipping costs if someone wanted me to mail it to them). However, I understand the amount of work involved and think $5 is within reason. While a few people would give a disc or another form of a thank you, the significant majority of them did not. Even more frustrating, were those who made it hard to return a disc (no shows for multiple meet ups, etc...).

It is situational dependent and depends a lot on the property owner and if the disc is lost and abandoned or lost and the original owner of the disc intended to come back and get it.

In a majority of the situations, I would say it was lost and abandoned. Once abandoned, do you really have any right to it at all, much less to request the service in advance?

Personally, I have no problem paying $5 to get a disc back that I really liked. If I didn't like it, I have no problem letting the disc diver keep it. Most important is getting the call and the ability to decide if I want it back or not.

Again, reference the finders law. It still belongs to the original owner and would not be considered abandoned. So whether you're OK with paying $5 to get your disc back is irrelevant. The fact that someone is trying to extort money to return property that does not belong to them is flat out illegal. You can argue all you want and try to find someway to justify the shady behavior of disc divers that demand a reward for services that were performed without a pre-existing agreement with the disc thrower, but the legal framework protects the person that lost the property.

Again, reference the finders law. It still belongs to the original owner and would not be considered abandoned. So whether you're OK with paying $5 to get your disc back is irrelevant. The fact that someone is trying to extort money to return property that does not belong to them is flat out illegal. You can argue all you want and try to find someway to justify the shady behavior of disc divers that demand a reward for services that were performed without a pre-existing agreement with the disc thrower, but the legal framework protects the person that lost the property.

Most any disc found in water is abandoned. I'd never dive for them, but more power to anyone that is willing. It recovers plastics that otherwise would just turn to swamp rot.

images

I just put my name and # on the back and I get all my discs back.

Most any disc found in water is abandoned.

This is a speculative assumption and a weak justification for keeping and/or ransoming lost plastic. Finders law stipulates the following:

Property is deemed lost when the owner unintentionally and involuntarily parts with it through neglect or inadvertence and does not know where it is.

I'd be willing to make my own educated speculative assumption that most of the discs you believe to be abandoned are lost and subject to the following:

As a general rule, an owner retains title to lost or mislaid property found by another.

why does the law have to be referenced on every one of these stupid is this the right thing to do threads?

Hey people, do the right %#^*(@! thing already.

Anyone that justifies someone being a dick is a dick IMHO.

I would gladly pay for shipping if the return was too far away to just go get, and have. I have also traded a sharpie-art disc of mine to the returner as a thank you. But paying for a disc I've already bought and then lost? Circumstantial. REQUIRING payment for a found disc from someone? Never. Either return it or keep it. Decide who you want to be. You just won't be PAID by me.