• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finder's fee

I would venture 90+% of the discs fished out of ponds are indeed abandoned. The thing is, the finder doesn't know if he has one of the other <10% until he calls the number inked on it.

This.

Back to the OP, the finder texted the owner. At that point, the owner can let him know if it was lost or abandoned. But it starts with the text. Kudos to the finder for at least sending a text because there are so many disc divers that don't.

My question is this; why are people charging $$$ to give discs back?? Seriously? If I find a discs and I don't know the person, I say this to them, found your disc how should I get it to you? My effort is the phone call, that wasn't too much effort. Now getting into a lake, sure some effort but why the hell were you in there in the first place? It is a dick move, another thing also if a buddy of mine that I play with finds one of mine or I find one of theirs we have a paying system called 1 beer, simple enough.

This.

Back to the OP, the finder texted the owner. At that point, the owner can let him know if it was lost or abandoned. But it starts with the text. Kudos to the finder for at least sending a text because there are so many disc divers that don't.

I don't know if the guy was doing my friend any favors. He was looking to make a few bucks plain and simple.

My question is this; why are people charging $$$ to give discs back?? Seriously? If I find a discs and I don't know the person, I say this to them, found your disc how should I get it to you? My effort is the phone call, that wasn't too much effort. Now getting into a lake, sure some effort but why the hell were you in there in the first place? It is a dick move, another thing also if a buddy of mine that I play with finds one of mine or I find one of theirs we have a paying system called 1 beer, simple enough.

You are a disc golfer - a lot of the kids, and I mean KIDS I have seen disc diving are profiteers; they know there is value, and they are looking to make a buck.

I've had people offer me money when I find their discs, never taken any. Would never charge for returning a disc. Dick move. Offer to play a round with me, shake my hand, just say thank you!!!!! Good enough and rewarding enough for me

I think there is a difference between finding a disc while you are playing and going out to the course to specifically disc dive and clean out the lake.

In a perfect world, all disc golfers who find other discs on the course while they are playing will call and return discs because it is the right thing to do, with no reward expected. I am fortunate to play on a private course where the players are limited and we are pretty close to this.

Disc diving is an entirely different matter. Someone has taken their time to go out and retrieve discs that have been abandoned (for argument sake I assuming abandoned over lost, but I understand this is debatable and situational dependent). This individual is providing a service. While when I do it I do not charge, I see no problem with someone requesting a fee for providing this service. I think $5 is on the high end, but still within reason.

And ink makes them so much harder to get away with keeping it, right? (I kid, I kid)

Thing is it absolutely isn't "easy" to tell lost versus abandoned, for the simple fact that you don't know the circumstances involved in how that disc came to be out of its owners possession.

If a disc is lost late in the day, and the owner runs out of daylight in his search for the disc and leaves the course without it, is it lost or abandoned?

If a disc is lost during a tournament round in which, by rule, the player and his group has just 3 minutes to locate it or they must move on, is it lost or abandoned?

If a disc is lost and the player is in a rush because he's got to get off the course to pick up his kid at school, is it lost or abandoned?

What if in the meantime, while he's picking up his kid, someone else comes along, finds his disc, and throws it into the pond 5 holes away from where it was originally lost so any attempt to return to the course and search is fruitless? Is the disc resting in the pond lost or abandoned?

In an earlier post, you said "I just don't understand if someone deems the effort to find a disc is more than the value of the disc how they think they retain ownership." My counter to that is how do you know, just by finding the disc, how much effort went into finding the disc and what the circumstances were when that effort was made? You're basing your viewpoint on an assumption. An assumption that is more likely to be incorrect than correct most of the time.

I commend you for doing the right thing with inked discs. The problem really lies with the people who make your argument about "abandoned" discs as a rationalization for keeping or attempting to profit from any disc they find, inked or not. Without being able to prove intent, it's extremely difficult to make a convincing argument that one "abandoned" a disc versus simply losing it.

Either way of thinking assumptions are made, but even in those circumstances where you say someone is coming back for them, I'll argue that the value of the disc wasn't worth the effort (other more important obligations, getting dark, etc., etc.) To find it so ownership is forfeited.

I'm ok with forfeiting ownership and wouldn't want to put the burden of returning a disc on someone who found what imo isn't mine anymore. I search hard for some of my discs, I barely look for some of my discs, and sometimes I have to leave without it. I do this based on my perception of value of the disc. At a point I forfeit ownership and the disc is no longer mine. Someone will hopefully find an uninked disc and use it or sell it Idc it's not mine anymore. Better than it just rotting in the elements.

Another issue I have is ppl ink the crap out of them then sell them. I like to buy/sell/trade discs to try things out and it's a little annoying when ppl permanently ink "their" disc to just get rid of them. Now the disc that is legitimately mine has your name and number.

Ink is bad. Imo of course.

Another issue I have is ppl ink the crap out of them then sell them. I like to buy/sell/trade discs to try things out and it's a little annoying when ppl permanently ink "their" disc to just get rid of them. Now the disc that is legitimately mine has your name and number.

Ink is bad. Imo of course.
Have you perhaps considered some people ink the crap out of their discs precisely for the reason that you don't want them to?

Either way of thinking assumptions are made, but even in those circumstances where you say someone is coming back for them, I'll argue that the value of the disc wasn't worth the effort (other more important obligations, getting dark, etc., etc.) To find it so ownership is forfeited.

Poor assumption, worse law.

Ownership isn't forfeited by the decision of when to retrieve a lost item.

Would this reasoning apply to more valuable items, or just discs?

I drop my car keys on the course. I search and search until the sun goes down and I can't see anymore. I get a ride home from my friend figuring I can go back in the morning and at least get my car using my spare set of keys.

If someone comes along in the meantime and finds my keys, do they get to use them to take my car as their own? I mean, clearly I didn't value my car enough to put more effort into finding those keys in the dark, so I must have forfeited my ownership, right?

Obviously a car and a disc aren't the same thing and have no where near the same value, but why should value play any role at all in a discussion of whether one has abandoned their property?

To me, my claim to the disc and its value to me is in the fact that I put my name and contact information on it, not whether or not I searched for it for 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days after throwing it in the schule. By putting my contact information on the disc, there's no need for assumptions about my intentions for the disc or how it came to be lost. I WANT IT BACK. Simple as that. If I didn't, I wouldn't have put my email or my phone number on the disc.

I drop my car keys on the course. I search and search until the sun goes down and I can't see anymore. I get a ride home from my friend figuring I can go back in the morning and at least get my car using my spare set of keys.

If someone comes along in the meantime and finds my keys, do they get to use them to take my car as their own? I mean, clearly I didn't value my car enough to put more effort into finding those keys in the dark, so I must have forfeited my ownership, right?

Obviously a car and a disc aren't the same thing and have no where near the same value, but why should value play any role at all in a discussion of whether one has abandoned their property?

To me, my claim to the disc and its value to me is in the fact that I put my name and contact information on it, not whether or not I searched for it for 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days after throwing it in the schule. By putting my contact information on the disc, there's no need for assumptions about my intentions for the disc or how it came to be lost. I WANT IT BACK. Simple as that. If I didn't, I wouldn't have put my email or my phone number on the disc.

put your name all over your car then.

Disc divers aren't disc golfers. The etiquette of dg flies out the window when folks are doing it to make money.

Calling them dicks doesn't change that fact.

There is a guy at one of my local courses that has a lake, who wades in and retrieves discs. He hangs out in the parking lot before scrambles or on the weekend and sells them for 3-5 bucks a piece. But if you find one with your name or a buddy's name he just gives them to you. I think that is pretty fair.

As for paying to get a disc back, I always offer to pay the shipping and if the ship it, I may include an extra 5 as a way of saying Thanks. But if it started out as a Ransom, then forget it. I have plenty of discs.

Funny thing though, just about every disc I get back out of the water, somehow finds its way back too. Life is funny!

Rick G

If a guy has full-blown diving gear on (tanks, etc) and is fishing discs out of a moving river or somewhere else that is relatively treacherous... I'd toss the guy a couple bucks if he fished my disc out of the river in front of me and I asked him to do so.

However, calling people after the fact and trying to extort a 'finders fee' out of them does seem a bit opportunist/scumbaggy.

Your keys? I know a guy who, after a particularly good night on the town, can't find his car for several days!

At my course, we have the county Search and Rescue Dive Team do their training in the pond and fish out discs for free. Unfortunately there are still many lost souls in the pond. If there's a contact on the disc, we notify them, otherwise they go into the lost & found bin.

On another note, somebody stole my goggles at the pool the other day while I was in the hot tub. They will probably be very disappointed with my Swedish goggles, most people find them very uncomfortable because there's no padding on them. At least they only cost $4. :\
1147-211-T-168x196-AUTO.jpg