• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fingernails !

captain jack

* Ace Member *
My super scientific research has revealed that I throw better when I let my fingernails grow out a little.
Not like fu man chu length, but not trimmed up close either.
I feel like I get a better grip on my drivers, the rip sounds more satisfying with nails, and they provide a more sensitive platform to balance my putter on.

Does anybody else notice a difference in performance when they trim thier nails ?

To each their own. :|

I wouldn't describe my nails as particularly short, but I do keep them fairly well trimmed . I don't even think they factor into my grip (pretty sure it's all finger-tip), so I don't think they make appreciable contact with my discs when I throw with a power grip, and certainly not at all for putting.

Additionally, I wouldn't like the sensation of the disc interacting with my nails on release (regardless of the effect on the flight), but maybe that's just me. :\

But hey, if it works for you, rock it!

I have noticed that when my nails are a bit too long, it is hard to get a good power grip. I prefer them trimmed so that you can just start to see the white.

I find that I don't get as much snap when my nails are longer. I keep them as short as possible. Make sure to trim before a tournament.

My reasoning is that I want the "pads" of my fingertips to have contact with the disc, not so much my fingernails.

I have noticed this as well. I started growing mine out when I noticed I would cut (or bite) them too short. I really don't notice a huge difference but my fingers definitely don't hurt anymore.

i have long nails on my right (throwing) hand for playing classical guitar. i'm used to it so it doesn't really bother me.

I hate having long nails in general, so I usually cut them short. Everyonce in awhile I am reminded to cut them short again when driving, it makes that wretched fingernail on a chalkboark feeling on my hand. I keep nail clippers in my bag for that reason.

i have long nails on my right (throwing) hand for playing classical guitar. i'm used to it so it doesn't really bother me.

yuuuuup. maintaining that magical length suitable for both fingerpicking and disc golf is a challenge.

My nails aren't really involved in the grip. I can tell when I cut them too short though and my finger tips start bruising.

My super scientific research has revealed that I throw better when I let my fingernails grow out a little.
Not like fu man chu length, but not trimmed up close either.
I feel like I get a better grip on my drivers, the rip sounds more satisfying with nails, and they provide a more sensitive platform to balance my putter on.

Does anybody else notice a difference in performance when they trim thier nails ?

Mine break while im doing course work. (or get chewed off after a bad day of putting.)

Yea having them just long enough to open a beer seems to be the sweet spot for me. (But yea having too short or long nails will throw off my concentration when driving)

Latest posts