• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Five Ten shoes!

Rescue

Eagle Member
Since I started playing disc golf. I've been on the hunt for a disc golf shoe that will last for more than a month or two. I think my search is over! I've owned a few pairs of their hiking shoes, but found them to be to rigid of a design for me (made for serious hiking and rock climbing). While shopping for a new pair of disc golf shoes, I saw that they also make shoes for mountain biking without toe clips. So I purchased a pair of Five Ten Impacts (high tops). I was a little skeptical due to their very tacky soles, but man, these have to be the best disc golf shoes I've ever owned!

Pros:
Rigid/stiff mid soles, high top and thick leather construction make for great lateral support.
Thick sole that also comes up over the midsole and toe area. This has kept the sole from pealing away from the midsole.
Simple sole pattern, but still has fantastic gripping abillity. Super thick tounge that is attached to one side of the shoe. This makes for great ankle support.
For a thick and bulky looking shoe, there was no breakin needed, very comfortable as well.
Very well made shoe (code for, they are not cheap!).
The grip is off the hook! I bought these approx six months ago, so I've only played in wet/moist conditions, but I have not had to worry about slipping on cement teepads. It feels like I'm playing on bone dry teepads.

Cons:
Not sure if they be to grippy once everything dries up. However, I've "practiced" my run up on the sidewalk. Although they gripped well, I didn't find them to be extreme.
Tred pattern is pretty vanilla, not sure how they would hold up to a course at a ski resort (very rocky).
Sole still looks great, but since the are so tacky. I'm not sure how long the tread pattern will last? I'm at the six month mark and they still ahve a lot of tread to go.
No Goretex in this style of shoe (think skate or basketball shoe).
Crazy colors minus the hightops (black).

So, I'm a shoe junkie. I've owned several of the top brands....Montrail, Merrill, Vasque, Nike, Lowa, Garmont etc.....and these shoes have blown away any of the shoes I've used for disc golf. So if you are looking for a shoe, I would have to give these a 4 out of 5, because imo. Nobody is perfect :D

P.S. Zappo's.com has a pretty big sellection of this brand and no! I don't work for either of these companies :)

Peace!

Cons:

520 shoes will hold up great to rocks and roots and pretty much anything you can throw at them. They make rock climbing shoes and MTB shoes so they have some abuse in mind. Also the rubber that they use for those shoes the also use for Intense MTB tires.

Thanks for the write-up on these shoes. :thmbup: Will have to check them out.

Currently I am wearing Hi-Tech light weight hikers. ( my second pair, first pair lasted three years) They are very comfortable & long lasting.

I ride mountain bikes a lot and have some impacts. They are constructed well and i have used mine for about 3 years now (although its time to retire them really soon). Can't get a better bike shoe if you ride flat pedals.

With that said I would personally hate them for DG. They are really heavy and clunky. Have a really stiff sole (supposed to for biking). They wouldn't do good when hiking around in mud (due to tread design). They would be terrible on courses where the tee pads are rubber (2 out of 4 courses i play at). They are also fairly expensive and stealth rubber isn't known for lasting long periods of time (mine have lasted so long since they are only used for biking where little hiking occurs)

I ride mountain bikes a lot and have some impacts. They are constructed well and i have used mine for about 3 years now (although its time to retire them really soon). Can't get a better bike shoe if you ride flat pedals.

With that said I would personally hate them for DG. They are really heavy and clunky. Have a really stiff sole (supposed to for biking). They wouldn't do good when hiking around in mud (due to tread design). They would be terrible on courses where the tee pads are rubber (2 out of 4 courses i play at). They are also fairly expensive and stealth rubber isn't known for lasting long periods of time (mine have lasted so long since they are only used for biking where little hiking occurs)
Good point about rubber teepads, but I have not had a chance to try them out since there is only one course around here that has pubber teepads. I've had no problem playing when it's been uber muddy. Heck the past few months have been very muddy on the courses around here, also, no issues on fairly steep terrain. I was also worried about how bulky they looked, but they were comfy from day one. After the first month they've become more than flexable enough and they are no more cumbersome than Merrills, Garmont, and The North Face. Granted my Solamons, Vasque, and Nike's are far more flexable, but the soles were coming apart around the toe area too.
Also, I tip the scales around 220lbs and have wide feet. So the rigidity of the shoe is a bennifit ro me. So why not give them a try? You just might like them as a disc golf shoe?

Latest posts