• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Flat Top Roc replacement disc?

1point

I was in a local bottle shop sometime last summer and they were selling discs with their logo stamped on. Wanting to support the shop, I picked up a Roc, having no experience with Rocs, but not wanting another Aviar, which was the only other choice. It was a flat top Ranco (DX), which I knew nothing about at the time. I was still fairly new to the sport, and I had a weak arm and bad form. I threw it a few times here and there, but it was too overstable at the time and I ultimately let it be for a while.

Fast forward to this summer, having improved on my form a bit, I found myself pulling it out of the bag for a couple of "what if" shots and discovered that it was remarkably straight and predictable, very "point and shoot." It became my go-to for almost anything between 100 and 250 feet. The problem is that it's DX plastic, and it beat in so fast that my go to was becoming a turnover disc in only a month's worth of play (avg 7 rounds/wk). My solution was to find and acquire a stack of them to cycle through and have a solid set of mids. I got 4 off of Marshall Street + 1 that my friend had but didn't throw. That was mid July. It's mid October and they're all understable and won't hold up at all in a headwind, even with significant hyzer release. Bummer. I don't want to have to replace these discs so often, and I'd like it if they would stay in their respective sweet spots for a while longer.

So, what I'm hoping for is to find something that feels similar in the hand (or the same, if possible), flies the same (dead straight with mild forward fade only at the very end of flight) and is in a durable plastic that will hold the sweet spot for a long time. I'm not looking for rare discs, because even if I'm not replacing them often, I'm sure I'll have to at some point, and I'd like to be able to do so relatively easily. Has anyone had experience with the flat tops and found something the same or better? Alternatively, if anyone wants to get rid of some lightly used flat top Rocs, I'm also interested.

How I throw: Backhand current max distance about 350 with Bolt/Flow, accurate range of about 300 with same. I can currently throw a stable flat top Roc about 275 accurately.

"Similar" discs I've tried: KC pro Rancho Roc; it's domey and hyzers well but doesn't hold up in wind and isn't a dead straight disc. DX San Marino Roc that's understable as crap. McPro Roc3 was very overstable for me-I didn't have the arm for it at the time, don't know about now. Trilogy Challenge Opto Claymore was nice but too understable, especially in wind. All discs I've mentioned in this post were between 172g and 176g.

Everything here would lead me to suggest a Roc3. Feels just like a Rancho Roc but flatter and a hair straighter. I'd say grab another Mcpro and a Champion, and be done till spring.

Champ Roc3 or a Lucid Truth will both get you there.

Mcpro Roc3/champ roc3/ sounds like what you are looking for. Mcpro will beat in fast then become super straight fliers, the champs with take longer to beat in, but will fight headwinds a little easier.

Start cycling KC Roc's (there are flat ones out there) and buy a Champion Roc-3 or if you like softer plastic, try a G* Roc-3. The KC's hold up a lot longer than DX.

I'm with everyone else suggesting a champion Roc3. If you want something that will last longer that you don't have to cycle, get a champ (or possibly Star); the McPros are going to wear into understable much quicker. You may want to consider getting the champ a little lighter than max weight (175 or 170) to give you that straight shot right out of the box at your power level.

The Ghost is basically a knockoff of the Roc, and it's slightly less overstable (in general). Most Icon Ghosts have some dome, but all the Pinnacle Ghosts I've seen have been pretty flat. They would probably be straighter than a Roc3.

The traditional rancho rocs, the non flat tops, break in much slower. The flat tops get really flippy and unpredictable very fast. A good old fashioned kc pro or dx roc will hold up much better. Champ roc3s will hold up forever.

Honestly the closest thing to a flat top roc in flight is probably a buzzz. It'll feel much different but fly very similar

Agree that a flat Buzzz is probably better for this, if a dead straight flight is really what you're looking for.

Buzzz's originally kicked Rocs out of my bag because I was throwing them straighter and farther. Eventually I figured out that I wanted something I could power down better, and could cover a wider variety of lines. So back to Roc-style discs.

One disc that often gets overlooked that might work well in this case: the Atlas. A Champ or Star Atlas should hold up very well and they are quite flat and fly a lot like a Buzzz.

I'm with everyone else suggesting a champion Roc3. If you want something that will last longer that you don't have to cycle, get a champ (or possibly Star); the McPros are going to wear into understable much quicker. You may want to consider getting the champ a little lighter than max weight (175 or 170) to give you that straight shot right out of the box at your power level.

I agree with this about a non max weight roc3. I have one that has just a bit of turn now that it is beat in and when powered down just a touch, will go very straight with very little fade. At the lighter weight, it still may start out a little more stable than the flat dx roc, but not much.

Also maybe an MVP Proton Axis. I seem to recall it having a very small bead, which would make it feel more like a roc than a buzzz if that is what you prefer.

Verdict sounds more stable than you want, but it's an amazing disc, and I recommend it anyway. MVP Vector is basically a Roc as well. Axis is more Buzzz like. They both have beads like the Roc does.