• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Flat Top Roc replacement disc?

Id recommend a g star roc3 as the slightly stable fresh flat top roc replacement. You can tinker with weights if max is to OS. They are flat usually.

Id recommend a fresh star atlas for a worn flat top roc. They are flat as well.

Then just bag understable beat rocs and cycle them in as you need to wear in replacements.

I also bag a beat xt atlas (eventually the star) because they finish different.

I use a champ roc3, a fresh star atlas, a beat xt atlas and a flippy flat top glow dx roc atm.

I also used to cycle flat tops. Was annoying.

In going through the thread, I did not see much love for the Star Roc3, so let me add some here. I have two Star Roc3s and two Factory Second Star Roc3s. The Star Roc3s are VERY flat (board flat) on top (called "FAF"), and I really love them, especially as temps are cooling. I use them for longer approach shots and hyzer shots, and they are very consistent and reliable. They beat in slowly, but out of the box mine are going straight with some fade at the end, and the hyzer shots can be things of beauty once you've practiced and gotten used to the disc.

This past summer I extensively used McPro Roc3s. They do beat in faster, and my main McPro beat in to a very, very straight-flying disc with only a little dump fade.

I also have a couple of Champion Roc3s. They are very good discs, though I like my FAF Star Roc3s even better. The Champs are a bit more overstable out of the box, but very consistent and reliable once you learn them. I have yet to have any Champion disc of any mold change its flight very much at all; I don't know if I'll ever "beat in" a Champion plastic disc significantly even if I keep going with them for years.

Last but not least, the MVP Vector is a good flat-top disc very similar to the Roc3. The underside and grip are very close to the Roc3 (at least my grubby paws think so). So this is a good alternative if you like the MVP overmold and can put that *snap* on it.

I agree with gstar roc3. They are flat and they feel similar to a roc.

I have a F2 (Factory Second) GStar Roc3, and it is FAF, board flat. As some know, I'm not a GStar fan in hot summer temps, preferring firmer plastics; but in winter/conlder temps, the GStar Roc3 should be very good.

I have yet to have any Champion disc of any mold change its flight very much at all; I don't know if I'll ever "beat in" a Champion plastic disc significantly even if I keep going with them for years.

Keep throwing them, they eventually change as much as any plastic... just at a snail's pace. About the only exception I've seen is a CE firebird that still had decent fade after 15 years of steady use. Unless the guy was lying to me. Musta been a heck of a meat hook new!

Roc3 is the natural choice (the "3" means it has a flat top), but if you are pretty much just looking for a dead straight flight then you can also consider a Buzzz in Z plastic. Roc throwers tend to work them on multiple lines, whereas Buzzz throwers use the Buzzz for line drives and may have other discs to choose from for a different type of shot. Both are extremely common discs and you should be able to test throw one from someone on the course quite easily.

As much as I love the Verdict, which was mentioned earlier, it has far too much stability/fade at the end of flight for what you're looking for.

Latest posts