• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flick/Forearm Disc

gintner31

hey guys
recently i have disced down and really only use eagles a rancho roc and magnets
but i ran into another problem
i cant flick anymore with using my eagle
with a bigger disc like my wraith or sl i can flick but not with said eagle
i am wondering what is a good slower flick disc i have been thinking banshee but i dont know let me know what you think
thanks

Eagle is a good FH disc. Are you turning it over, basically does it pretty much just dive into the ground?

it dives i put just a touch ani on it to s it out and she just takes a nice digger into the ground
but i do that with the wraith and sl and it works out so good

Love my Champ Banshees, for me they are FH teebirds, straight with a predictable fade, and consistent in the wind. If you are looking for something shorter Gators are great as mid-ranges.

@ atl scott: In my experience flicking, it is important to know how to throw slower, more understable discs, but there becomes a point where you cannot beat the consistency of an overstable disc for FH's.

@ atl scott: In my experience flicking, it is important to know how to throw slower, more understable discs, but there becomes a point where you cannot beat the consistency of an overstable disc for FH's.

Maybe, but if you can't throw understable stuff, your form is bad, period. If he just goes to overstable stuff he's not going to gain distance and would just be masking the problem.

it dives i put just a touch ani on it to s it out and she just takes a nice digger into the ground
but i do that with the wraith and sl and it works out so good

The wraith and sl are faster discs so they take more speed to flip like your eagle is doing. Release the eagle with a bit of hyzer so that it flips flat.

oat. u need to learn to throw the disc flat or with hyzer also with better form instead of flexing the disc in the long run u will get way better difference.

for example i throw my avenger ss fh on a hyzerflip furhter than my buddy throws his boss. he throws the boss with so much anhyzer its almost like a tomahawk in order to get it to flex the distance in a huge s curve.

Maybe, but if you can't throw understable stuff, your form is bad, period. If he just goes to overstable stuff he's not going to gain distance and would just be masking the problem.

Agreed, so a good plan of action:

1) Learn to flick the eagle, or better yet your Rocs or Magnets (without flutter).
2) Learn to throw pure hyzers with putters FH, it is a great exercise. Keep in mind its more important you get a clean release than more distance.

3) Go get a Banshee once you can throw flippy stuff.

I agree. I throw sidearm pretty consistently, but lack the skillz to throw understable discs very well yet. I throw bosses, ns destroyer, and flx drone sidearm off the tee relatively well.

I envy those who can sidearm a roc or putter accurately and I am slowly working on it myself. Eventually maybe I'll learn some understable drivers too.

Get a Flick! It is definitely my favorite forehand disc. You should probably learn how to throw less stable stuff first, but the Flick is a very consistent FH disc, and is my go to for get-out-of-trouble shots

aj

hey guys
recently i have disced down and really only use eagles a rancho roc and magnets
but i ran into another problem
i cant flick anymore with using my eagle
with a bigger disc like my wraith or sl i can flick but not with said eagle
i am wondering what is a good slower flick disc i have been thinking banshee but i dont know let me know what you think
thanks

First disc I ever owned and only threw forehand with when starting was a heavy DX viper. Worked, not sure I would buy one again but didn't let me down!

Should be able to flick any disc really though-- If you are generating a lot of speed you cannot throw a understable slow disc flat for distance unless your keeping the disc low and flipping it from 4/6 O'clock depending on which arm you throw with.

Over-stable discs are much more forgiving when thrown forehand because it generally is a much faster shot for people thus causing their slower/understable discs to fly inconsistent and turn/burn... Just like throwing a hyzer flip (RHBH) same concept applies for forehand at max speed/power- Otherwise tone back the throw and work on the control. Understable discs will not helix or flex like the overstable ones people are listing here, only reason they throw those discs generally are because they do not have the right control.

Every/Any disc can/will fly- just have to throw it correctly.

Gazelle is a great FH disc for learning better form. It is the same as learning backhand form. Most people will tell you when learning to BH to try a leo or something understable. Same goes for FH. Keep a banshee around for wind shots but I would go even more understable than the Eagle if you really want to work on your FH form. I have been playing tons of round with just my Wizard's, XD's and Buzzz's and have seen a ton of improvement this summer. I can FH my Wizards out to 250'+ on any line I want.

I use a fork/pease grip for my putters and Mids when I FH. THis has helped with the deeper rims and reducing OAT as well as giving my grip more stability. If you are burning you Banshee you have some wrist roll also that needs to be worked on. Try to think about keeping the heel of your palm facing the sky or even a bit away from you. This will make it imposible to roll your wrist.

Try to think about keeping the heel of your palm facing the sky or even a bit away from you. This will make it imposible to roll your wrist.
^^
:thmbup:

and keeping the edge down slightly will help keep you from turning your wrist way over thus sending the disc into the ground like a cut roller:wall:

It is a little known fact, but Banshees have microchips in them that guide them to the basket in mid-flight, especially in the woods. At least in my experience.

Not micro-chips, super magnets. Duh! In all seriousness, another vote for banshee. It's tougher to forehand an understable disc because a forehanded disc gains speed quicker than a backhanded one, therefore high speed turn kicks in faster and can lead to a quicker turnover. If you can manage to get the feel for flicking understables, you will have gained a valuable skill and will get more distance. That being said, if you need to forehand <300ft I will recommend sticking to the overstable banshee all day.

Keep working on form. Can totally forehand slower understable discs. I found slowing down arm speed really helped. That and working on clean snap. When doing field practice I will still usually pound 1st couple into ground like that. :)

Latest posts