• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight numbers don't matter article

I have never looked at flight numbers to determine anything about a disc. I have always tested them to see what happens. I have tested nealy hundred molds and found a few basic shapes work well for me. So at this point in my disc golf life I have found I can feel the rim and know how the disc will likely perform. I suspect many of you have found this to be true as well.

I have a number of people I play with that rely on flight numbers to guide them. It works for them but I still rely on the eyeball test. Also, I keep in mind form has a great deal to do with how a disc flies.

I attached a pic in case you need proof of the disc I have tested. And yes my wife still laughs when I come home with more.

Woah thats a lot of discs! Got any Saints in there! but really thats impressive.

Woah thats a lot of discs! Got any Saints in there! but really thats impressive.
He is not telling you that three of those stacks are all Grooves. Kidding (he just got rid of the grooves).
I occasionally look at flight numbers but generally I know what my discs do. So I look at the shot and compare it to my known disc flights and pick the proper disc for the shot. Now if only I could throw exactly the same every time....

It's funny that everyone keeps on talking about how DD did this just for advertising or how their system is better.
But if you ever listened to the podcast or read the first paragraph of the article you would realize they did this because they constantly get asked questions about the numbers.
So hopefully this stops the recurring questions that have been answered many many times.
That may be why they wrote the blog post, but it's not why they claimed flight ratings don't matter.

That may be why they wrote the blog post, but it's not why they claimed flight ratings don't matter.
From the article you apparently didn't really read.

" Just because a disc doesn't fly like its numbers indicate doesn't mean the disc has no value to you. If you throw a particular disc well, does it really matter if its flight matches the numbers printed on it?​"
"Why are there numbers in the first place? The simple answer is it's the best of what we have for now. And if you must use them, they do have one somewhat valid application. They can give you a relative measurement when comparing discs made by the same company.​"
" In the end, the only way to really tell for sure is to throw them."

Dumb article. Flight ratings matter. Every company has their own bias towards flight ratings. Once you understand them, you can order the discs you need accurately without having to try everything out first.

Dumb article. Flight ratings matter. Every company has their own bias towards flight ratings. Once you understand them, you can order the discs you need accurately without having to try everything out first.

Not really the numbers are just a loose description but their not really needed I have never payed attention to the numbers it's just as easy to read reviews from people who have actually thrown them which I find are typically a lot better for judging if a disc is good for you compared to flight numbers. There was no numbers for along time innova used to have a chart they still might I dunno but it showed the flight path of each disc which was IMO a better way of showing what a disc would do.

With so many companies these days and newer players not realizing the numbers are not universal it can get quite confusing.

Sorry I must get on the bandwagon as well. I have found that most discs cannot be accurately categorized with just four numbers. That are yes determined by the manufacturer alone.

Flight numbers may lead you in the right direction. A good verbal/written description is helpful. And nothing like throwing the disc yourself. Everyone's hand/grip is a little different. So feeling a disc is helpful before looking at any number system.

Its expensive but personally I got to throw it and then I make my own determination of what the disc actually flies like.

Sorry I must get on the bandwagon as well. I have found that most discs cannot be accurately categorized with just four numbers. That are yes determined by the manufacturer alone.

Flight numbers may lead you in the right direction. A good verbal/written description is helpful. And nothing like throwing the disc yourself. Everyone's hand/grip is a little different. So feeling a disc is helpful before looking at any number system.

Its expensive but personally I got to throw it and then I make my own determination of what the disc actually flies like.

If you compare to other sports it's not even expensive. I mean how many molds might one try a year I would think average ten and even then I feel that's high but that's 150 or less a year which is nothing for a hobby.

But I totally agree I have to throw it to know.

If you compare to other sports it's not even expensive. I mean how many molds might one try a year I would think average ten and even then I feel that's high but that's 150 or less a year which is nothing for a hobby.

But I totally agree I have to throw it to know.

When i road bmx my bike was $3,000 then you bomb a huge 15 set and break a set o f cranks thats 250$ new wheel cause you cased the coping thats 450$ yeah disc golf is cheap which is why i probably buy so many discs to try out. But the reviews on here help a lot more than the flight numbers. i.e. my favorite disc says its overstable...i say its more stable like an arrow.

Flight numbers

I also use them as a guide to mostly determine what may work best for me, but I prefer to touch it and see how it feels. I have found sometimes that the thickness of the rim can differ which for me affects how I throw it and how it flies.

Here's an example as to why I don't go all out on flight numbers. I throw Bosses and Katanas as my main drivers. I have a group of these two discs I covet, and bag religiously. Yesterday a buddy of mine came out with 3, brand new (still stickered) Champ Bosses that were tie dye (my favorite). He knows what I like, he's the local disc golf go to guy for plastic.. I threw all 3 and in the end only ended up buying 1 off him. The other two were beefcake overstable (like you'd expect a Boss to be for most arms). Looking at them, they weren't noticeably different in profile, but they flew completely different.

I still think they're good to get you in the ballpark.

I don't mind the numbering system, I use it as a basic guide. Coming from an Innova beginning, I measure all discs toward their system. I've learned that with Westside, take 1-2 off the HSS and LSF and you'll be close. Looking at the Stag you might think longer Banshee, not even close! At least it's something. Better than Discraft with their +1! Great, and what kind of flight does it take to get to that +1?

I've pretty much settled into what I like now anyway and do a lot of research before I pull the trigger on any disc these days unless it's a cheap disc on a used rack.

Saw someone mentioned the article from Mind. Body. Disc on speed and flight numbers. Just wanted to reiterate that the article from MBD does a great job of explaining speed and how it directly affects the other flight numbers. Flight numbers are mainly a jumping point to speculate how the disc will fly for you, but as said before you won't know until you throw.

I don't understand why they don't use objective measurements for their ratings.

For example, instead of calling something speed X, label it as "flies straight at X mph".

For example, instead of calling something speed X, label it as "flies straight at X mph".

Vibram uses speed ratings on their discs. For example on the new Vamp I am throwing, the underside shows a diagram of the flight path at 44 mph. Even that has its pitfalls since it depends on wind and angle of release.

Nope. Joes flight chart and inbounds are better. Marshall streets is great for quick comparison of speed/stability across other models.

Agree re Inbounds and MS, but Joe's is assigning the same -, + numbers most mfgrs do. Besides, it's obsolete. Boss and Wraith same "difficulty" level...I don't think so!

As for the Innova numbering system, and many that copy it, it is useful only as a basic reference, namely to differentiate "their" discs from each other, within the brand.

Because that wouldn't be any more useful. It would have to be "flies straight at X MPH air speed with Y degrees nose down at Z degrees hyzer with A amount off-axis torque in B direction at C RPM." Considering most have no way to accurately measure any of those variables when we throw I don't see how quantifying any of them would be useful.

Agree 100%. As one of the more experienced players in my area, newer players sometimes come up to me and ask me what does such and such disc do based on the flight numbers. My answer is always, "no clue" go throw it 50 times and find out for yourself.

Latest posts