• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

The entertainment value of this story is going to be further enhanced when these PK fans start reviewing other courses. If they start reviewing other courses, but surely they didn't just sign up to proclaim PK the best disc golf course ever. I'm waiting to see what they have to say about Flyboy or Renny or Selah Ranch or.................

I'm pretty sure they do. I bet most never look back. None care about how many thumbs they get. And a few may do some reviews, but none of the penoobs will ever set foot on flyboy or selah, etc.

>>Oh, and the Hippo is a big fat stink pile.<<

Really? It had a "miniature golf" feel to it at times, but I thought it was otherwise great...

My opinion, of course. While there are a few wooded holes, the vast majority of the holes are wide open with OB galore. I don't like the need to read each tee sign to see what could possibly be OB on each hole, and I hate the OB ropes that are all over the course. Throw a pond in front of a basket, elevate the basket on a 10 foot pylon, put the basket on a giant mound of dirt in a field with OB really close, put a basket in the ground, hang a few baskets, artificial island greens, triple mando, a daggum horse corrall, etc. All that was missing was the windmill.

NEVER FEAR!!!! HONEST REVIEWS COMING TOMORROW!!!!! :)

I posted an honest review today. It was also my first. What can I say, this thread moved me. I also had a chance to play it back to back days and figured it would be fresh in my mind.
I found that for my game it required a very repetitive shot selection off the tee.

>>put the basket on a giant mound of dirt in a field with OB really close<<

I will agree that I dislike baskets put on top of sharply pointed mounds of dirt. The only smart way to play that is to lay up at its base. All risk, no reward.

I loved the stuff in the woods in the course where the giant freeway basket was...

I posted an honest review today. It was also my first. What can I say, this thread moved me. I also had a chance to play it back to back days and figured it would be fresh in my mind.
I found that for my game it required a very repetitive shot selection off the tee.

I saw ... and ":thmbup:" it :)

You hit the nail on the head, Repetitive shots from the tee is the issue. I think I throw the same disc/shot combo 13 out of 18 holes. Park looks beautiful and the work that was done is awesome, just needs a good redesign, which won't happen with this crew. They want it to be easy and shaped for their specific shots. This is due to the amount of gambling.... Errrrrr leagues and cash tournaments that are played there.

You hit the nail on the head, Repetitive shots from the tee is the issue. I think I throw the same disc/shot combo 13 out of 18 holes. Park looks beautiful and the work that was done is awesome, just needs a good redesign, which won't happen with this crew. They want it to be easy and shaped for their specific shots. This is due to the amount of gambling.... Errrrrr leagues and cash tournaments that are played there.

I have never seen so many holes that are all exactly 261' in my life ;)

Lots of doglegs to the right ... there was a really cool looking depression on one hole we were disappointed that a basket wasn't down in the bottom or across higher up.

Course is in great repair/condition. The teepads that slope uphill and aren't flat are very annoying

... and I'll save the rest for my review :)

Hey guys, I noticed that my review has two people that "didn't find it helpful" or whatever the wording is. I'm not complaining, but if either of them is reading this I would like some constructive criticism and feedback as to what wasn't helpful. I'd like to review more courses, and I want to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Hey guys, I noticed that my review has two people that "didn't find it helpful" or whatever the wording is. I'm not complaining, but if either of them is reading this I would like some constructive criticism and feedback as to what wasn't helpful. I'd like to review more courses, and I want to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Your review is pretty good, I think in this case you probably got those votes from locals who are convinced the course is 5 disc worthy. You have many more positive votes than negative ones, I would just ignore them in this case.

It's obvious you didn't put any effort into it ;)

Who cares about a couple of :thmbdown:? You're at 22 :thmbup: and counting. Just keep on writing great reviews for other courses and you'll be fine.

^^^Agreed, I thought it was a very helpful review (one of the few on there). The problem is the controversy, not your review.

Bill Cosby has been quoted as saying, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

...keep up the good work! :thmbup:

Who cares about a couple of :thmbdown:? You're at 22 :thmbup: and counting. Just keep on writing great reviews for other courses and you'll be fine.

yeah, just roll with it. nothing pleases everyone.

yeah, just roll with it. nothing pleases everyone.

No doubt. I mean how can you please people who rate something as 5 when there are improvements still being planned and made?!?! 5 is the best of the best and yet this course is still being improved (allegedly), we'll have to change the rating system just for this little park that could.

No doubt. I mean how can you please people who rate something as 5 when there are improvements still being planned and made?!?! 5 is the best of the best and yet this course is still being improved (allegedly), we'll have to change the rating system just for this little park that could.

although if you think about it, a course that is always improving is the perfect course.

maybe we just didnt understand the metaphysical way the pendleton guys think about their infinitely improving course

I have never seen so many holes that are all exactly 261' in my life ;)

Lots of doglegs to the right ... there was a really cool looking depression on one hole we were disappointed that a basket wasn't down in the bottom or across higher up.

Course is in great repair/condition. The teepads that slope uphill and aren't flat are very annoying

... and I'll save the rest for my review :)

Alright, where is it :)

The facility improvements are awesome, and they are doing a great job curbing the erosion and adding amenities. None of these items constitute a 5 disc rating though.

Hole 3- the bushes on the left side that blocked the straight shot at the basket should have never been removed. This was a great hit a hole then hyzer shot, now it opens up bad shots going to the basket.

Hole 4- tee and basket change, this WAS the most unique hole on the course and one of the more unique forced shots in Augusta. It was designed to mimic an old hole at PK that was removed due to the redesign. The one that you had to throw a spike hyzer over the tree. This was a good hole replaced by another boring straight 250 foot hole.

Hole 7- Has 2 excellent par 4 positions that are never used anymore and have been removed from the design. Where the basket is now is basically a landing zone for the shot down the hill similar to the old hole 18 at PK.

Hole 13- The island of trees in the middle of the fairway were cut out, this created a 2 route shot and was a decent design feature. Now the shot is open to someones big S curving shot.

Hole 15- Why would you cut out those trees/bushes on the right corner of the hole?!?!? This hole is short 200 foot and technical and about 50 feet of brush was taken out to benifit someones S curve shot. This change baffles me.

Hole 16- The new pin position is just ok, the old one forced someone to throw a turnover shot that held its turn for 300 feet this was one of the best holes at PK.

Hole 18- Move the basket 30 feet to the right? makes it much easier for the sidearm and the basket was placed in a spot where many people "miss".

Basically seems like many of the physical changes to the course were done with out thought for the masses and creates "easier" holes for certain locals. Many of the long time players in the area are not a fan of those changes.

The "facility" changes are excellent and are great for the course and the park, but when changing holes at least leave the old sleeve in the ground to move it back and forth.

I finally got back to PK this Sunday,with a newborn at home I haven't gotten to play as much as I used to. I absolutely agree with your first and last statements, as well as the comments about hole #4.

However, I think most of the other layout changes are very minor;

Hole #3 The smart play for 2 is still the RHBH hyzer shot, anything else is spray and pray.

Hole #7 Alternate basket location haven't been used here in quite some time before the recent changes. I think it's unfair to lump this in.

Hole #13 A drive here still has to finish right for a chance to deuce. A big S shot puts you in the trees.

Hole #15 Just the opposite of 13, A drive here still has to finish left for a chance at two. A big S puts you in the trees.

Hole #16 that same long turnover shot still serves you well, just leaves you a little short of the new pin.

Hole #18 This was already the easiest hole on the course for many players, now it's just more friendly to flicks and lefties than RHBH.

I don't think the changes deserve the inflated reviews the recent ratings have included, but the course is in better condition than it has been in years. I rate the net effect of the changes as a positive.

This was and is the most beginner friendly course in the area. If you want more challenge, there are several nearby options.

Thanks. I'm a little bit intrigued now. I last played it many years ago, before the re-design, which means I've played that park, but not really that course. With a couple of more unbiased reviews from folks I trust, I think I want to check it out again.

Latest posts