• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Everyone needs a little silly in their life...

I have kids. 2 of them but my wife and I will be empty nesting it next year. I am up to my eyeballs in silly.

And true to form mother nature is still completely and utterly off her rocker for the weekend so no FBD&D flights... :| Launches canceled

UPDATE:

Club launch is a GO for the weekend. This SOB will be flying tomorrow - fingers crossed!!!! Got a lot of work done on it last night. One hole needs to be drilled for motor retention and then its time to prep for flight. Wheeeeee!!!!

By the way here is a link to my rocket club. If any of you are in the area and want to watch HMU real soon. Its free to spectate and there will be a lot of interesting projects including the Notre Dame Rocketry Team rocket.

-Dave

giphy.gif

Lift offs... 2 for 2

Parachute deployments... 0 for 2

I think I can do the old torn sheet chute for my GI Joes better...:p

Seriously though, good stuff Dave keep at it.:thmbup:

Thanks man...Was sure it was going to work this time. I had a selfie video planned for Mr. Lizzotte and...we'll just have to wait till next time. I at least have a good understanding of what happened and I do know that this is probably the perfect motor for this configuration. The timer I used needs about 1 g of force and obviously there wasn't enough g-force to acitvate the timer. So the other option is to use what's called a break wire so once the rocket lifts off a connection is broken and the timer detects that so thats what I am going to use next time. This time the rebuild will be a lot easier than last time. While a lot broke off its not nearly as bad as the first launch.

Whats really bad from the day is the Notre Dame rocket team main chute did not open at all. The drogue parachute came out so that slows the rocket to about 60-80 mph but even so the landing was HARD. Theres a lot of damage to that rocket and I am concerned they may not recover from this rather serious setback in time for the final launch in Huntsville...Those kids have worked their a$$es off...

LOL...Thanks for that. Aftermath pics of the basket will come later. I will figure out how to make this work reliably one way or the other.

Now that I have that video I think the delay setup needs to be 4 seconds and a back up ejection charge at 5 seconds. So this video is actually quite useful.

Last edited:
Seriously awesome stuff Dave!!! This is a seriously cool project! Props to the dedication!

Sucks to hear about the Notre Dame project, but, the best growth stems from adversity. Best of luck to them!!!

PS....give me a heads up on the next launch.....might try to convince my wife to let me road trip over with my son and watch!

Seriously awesome stuff Dave!!! This is a seriously cool project! Props to the dedication!

Sucks to hear about the Notre Dame project, but, the best growth stems from adversity. Best of luck to them!!!

PS....give me a heads up on the next launch.....might try to convince my wife to let me road trip over with my son and watch!

I'll give you a heads up right now. We will be flying Three Oaks again on 4/27 and 4/28. This is our big end of flying season bash called, "Midwest Blast." Since it's two days it will attract more fliers than normal so it should be busy which is better for spectators like yourself. If for some reason that launch gets canceled or delayed our web site will be updated. If it gets canceled I will very likely try to fly this thing in Kansasville, WI sometime this summer.

ohhhhhhhh man, I hate to say it Dave but I laughed my ass off from the most cynical of places in my mind watching this. I'm not sure why, but watching that thing shoot up and imagining you standing there watching it explode into pieces brought me great joy. I know that's horrible, but I seriously gut laughed multiple times watching this.

I'm going to head over to Youtube for some Rocket Fail Compilation videos because I never realized how great this stuff could be.

In all seriousness I'm jealous of your awesome hobby and imagine the rocketry culture to be a pretty cool group of folks. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. While I wish you success, I also look forward to failure.

ohhhhhhhh man, I hate to say it Dave but I laughed my ass off from the most cynical of places in my mind watching this. I'm not sure why, but watching that thing shoot up and imagining you standing there watching it explode into pieces brought me great joy. I know that's horrible, but I seriously gut laughed multiple times watching this.

I'm going to head over to Youtube for some Rocket Fail Compilation videos because I never realized how great this stuff could be.

In all seriousness I'm jealous of your awesome hobby and imagine the rocketry culture to be a pretty cool group of folks. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. While I wish you success, I also look forward to failure.

Thats one of the better parts of The Right Stuff. The montage of rocket failures ending with only the parachute popping out.

No apology needed. :D Come to a launch sometime and you'll see we all laugh at each other. Failures are just part of the equation and if you show up with a flying basket expect to generate some laughs. Shoot, I don't even mind showing off my "failures." In my mind there really is no failure unless you fail to learn from it.

In our club we've even gone so far as naming different calamities after club members for some cheap laughs. For example, a "Dave" is landing a rocket in water. We have a six foot wide drainage ditch at our field and HUNDREDS of acres of dry land for a rocket to land on and several of my rockets have landed in the water instead. Another fellow almost forgot to arm his electronics on two different flights so thats pulling a "Larry." Still another guy put together a large motor incorrectly - twice - thus torching two very nicely done rockets on two different occations so that is known as a "Wayne." Oh, I could go on...

Thanks for the encouraging words and STOP BEING JEALOUS! Join us some time. There are rocket clubs all over the world. PM me if you're interested and I can get you hooked up.

Speaking of rocket fail videos here are some of my favorites:

This one of mine landed in the - you guessed it - the water.

This I saw in person and the video just does not do it justice:

(If you watch the entire video you will see Kari Byron of MYthbusters fame. I got to meet her at this launch.)

Here's another one I got to see in person in the middle of New York near the finger lakes

If only he could get the parachute to open...…..

*sigh* If only

Sorry for the really long post.

I've been skipping over this thread until tonight. I'm sorry but the goals are screwy. If you're gonna shoot a basket up on a rocket, the goal should be a fireball at perihelion. And someone would need to say something about that which reaches for the sun...

I am seriously impressed, other than the lack of a proper finish, though.

No apology needed. :D Come to a launch sometime and you'll see we all laugh at each other. Failures are just part of the equation and if you show up with a flying basket expect to generate some laughs. Shoot, I don't even mind showing off my "failures." In my mind there really is no failure unless you fail to learn from it.

In our club we've even gone so far as naming different calamities after club members for some cheap laughs. For example, a "Dave" is landing a rocket in water. We have a six foot wide drainage ditch at our field and HUNDREDS of acres of dry land for a rocket to land on and several of my rockets have landed in the water instead. Another fellow almost forgot to arm his electronics on two different flights so thats pulling a "Larry." Still another guy put together a large motor incorrectly - twice - thus torching two very nicely done rockets on two different occations so that is known as a "Wayne." Oh, I could go on...

Thanks for the encouraging words and STOP BEING JEALOUS! Join us some time. There are rocket clubs all over the world. PM me if you're interested and I can get you hooked up.

Speaking of rocket fail videos here are some of my favorites:

This one of mine landed in the - you guessed it - the water.

This I saw in person and the video just does not do it justice:

(If you watch the entire video you will see Kari Byron of MYthbusters fame. I got to meet her at this launch.)

Here's another one I got to see in person in the middle of New York near the finger lakes

*sigh* If only

Sorry for the really long post.

You are the one doing the work (for our entertainment).

Posts can be as long as you want.

If you do get over to Kansasville to launch and I am not working, I would seriously consider a trip to Bong Recreation Area, I have heard and seen many rockets launched there from afar.

I've been skipping over this thread until tonight. I'm sorry but the goals are screwy. If you're gonna shoot a basket up on a rocket, the goal should be a fireball at perihelion. And someone would need to say something about that which reaches for the sun...

I am seriously impressed, other than the lack of a proper finish, though.

Yeah as cool as that would be...intentional explosions are prohibited and the unintentional ones are just a fact of life. And yeah, I suck at painting so you'll never see a proper finish on my rockets. ;)

-Dave