• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

AWESOME!!! Such a great hobby to do with kids for so many reasons. They learn basic scientific principles without even knowing it.

Was thinking about this (and this thread!) while playing with my 3.5yr old and his new stomp rockets in the yard. I see many (simple) rocket builds In our future. I used to build the Estes kits as a kid. Can't wait to get him into it!

Last edited:
Super excited to get one of those protractor things that slide as you track the flight to get an angle.....then I can teach him all about the wonders of triangles and trigonometry!! I know that they come with charts, but who needs those!!!

WOW! Well if I am inspiring parents to get into rocketry with their kids then this thread is definitely worth the while. Thanks for sharing that!

So when your kiddos are old enough get them into the Team America Rocketry Challenge. Then, when they go to college they can participate in the NASA USLI Competition. I am the mentor for the Notre Dame Rocketry Team and have been going to the NASA competitions for the last 7 years. Its a ton of fun and a lot of work. Doing those competitions is a HUGE feather in the cap for any aspiring aerospace, electrical or mechanical engineering major.

-Dave

That i140 looks money. Please don't do the 210...it would make us all sad 😞 haha...

McGruber!!!!!!!!

Duuuuuuude...You have no idea. We rocket folk McGruber on levels that would make McGruber blush. Ever hear the phrase, "that's not what that item is designed for"? Yeah...that never stops us. Heck, that's encouragement to us. Wait till you see my next project lol...

That i140 looks money. Please don't do the 210...it would make us all sad 😞 haha...

Hey worry not. If v2.0 crashes...shreds or whatever there will be a v3.0. I learn all the time. I'm already making a mental list of all the things I'll do differently on the next version. I'm gonna make this SOB idea work one way or the other...

Update picture...Got the cat5 pairs out tonight and drilled a bunch of holes to fill in the gaps enough that a disc won't fall through the bottom. Tried putting a few times. This thing does NOT catch discs very well lol. Good thing that's not a priority.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 43
Doing those competitions is a HUGE feather in the cap for any aspiring aerospace, electrical or mechanical engineering major.

-Dave

For the love of all that is holy....don't let my son be an engineer.....

Sincerely,
The guy who actually has to make engineers whimsical fantasies come true.....

So todays update has no pictures because cold. I went outside to do my ejection testing and I just didn't have the motivation to pull out the tripod get the camera rolling, etc in 15 degree weather. So I just did it. Took two tests but I have the chute and nylon strap coming out now in a rather energetic fashion without destroying the chute. Next launch is on 2/9 so I have plenty of time to get ready. Weighed it up and it is coming in at 6.5 lbs or so which is what I thought it would be. What's left is to wire it up, drill the launch rod holes and install the motor retention.

This is in the Disc Golf History Facebook page.

50860011_476526386086856_3719412506918125568_o.jpg

Sooooo due to weather this project is still in a holding pattern as launches have been canceled left and right. Looking to launch this project on 3/9/19 in Three Oaks, MI. Hopefully Mother Nature will have taken her xanax by then...

Ikr? At least give us some moar pics, lol...

Ok ok ok...

On a different topic one of the reasons I have not been working as much on the FBD&D is because of other rocketry related activities. I am mentor for the Notre Dame Rocketry Team. Basically I try to keep aerospace and engineering majors from killing themselves with rockets. Every year for the past 7 years they design, build and fly rockets for a competition with NASA called Student Launch Initiative which culminates in flying their project in Huntsville, AL. The trips to Huntsville are an absolute riot for a rocket nerd like me with tours of the Marshall Flight center and the Rocket Museam there.

One of the requirements for flying in Huntsville is they have to have at least one test flight with their full scale rocket with the same rocket motor they will be flying in Huntsville. There aren't many places where we can fly rockets like this so we had to drive 3 hours to the middle of freaking NOWHERE to do this on Saturday. I arrived at the field about 50 minutes early figuring I can drive past it so I know where the field is and just go to the nearest gas station to get some gas and grub. Yeah well...20 minutes later I arrived at the nearest gas station. So that should give you an idea just how far away from civilization we were.

The first photo is of the group with the rocket on the launch pad just so you can get an idea of how big this 45 pound project is. I'm the one standing just to the right of the pad with the yellow gloves on. The second is of it ripping off into the sky at about 300 mph.

Attachments

• 5lagKdfg.jpg
    5lagKdfg.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 57
  • oe0AHzME.jpg
    oe0AHzME.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
And by the way...I have two launches I can go to this weekend. On Saturday there's my club launch about 20 miles from me and then on Sunday there is another at the location I was just at about 250 miles south. Unfortunately it does not appear that Mother Nature will have taken her xanax by then and will be as psycho as ever both days.

I did consider bringing the FBD&D along Saturday but the ND kiddos really needed to focus on their project - not some silliness I was doing.

silliness?... silliness?!?!

/jk . man that looks pretty cool. I will patiently await your silliness :)

No no no...this is most definitely silly and feel free to refer to it as such. You aren't going to hurt my feelings cause it isn't like this is anything I don't already know. :clap:

Latest posts