• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Focus

cfair

* Ace Member *
I was wondering who throws the focus and what you think of it. I recently picked up 4 ESP '09 Ace Race Focus from a shop (got a great deal on them) and really like it a lot already. I have a few issues with it All 4 are 164g, a little light for me. They're '09 Esp Ace Race discs... which makes more boutique discs and I don't want to have to go hunting them down to stock up on (it may be the first disc I stock up on). But I would like to know what people think of the production runs of the Pro D and Elite X before I try hunting down more Esp '09 Ace Races...

I'm mostly concerned with the life expectancy of the discs. I probably wouldn't mind either for putting but I want to know how they drive/approach.

are you driving or putting with them, putting should make no difference what plastic. Driving you may want to go with Pro D; I see no reason to go specifically with ESP for anything though unless it feels good in your hand

You cant give away ESP Ace race foci. You wont have a problem tracking them down. Take a look at ebay, or any ones trade list. I have about 10 of them if you want some more.

i use the focus for putts and drives. i use the esp for approaches and i got a couple cryztal ones from the shop that does the memorial in arizona. i got them earlier in the spring and i love them!! one thing tho, pro d beats up really fast. especially if you have a long putt and hit the chastity belt or the cage. happened to me, huge chunk taken out of the rim.

I just started using some ace race ones yesterday and although I do really like the feel I think that gateway's base plastic seems to hold up better. If you like the focus - grab some wizards, they are the same disc with such minor differences you wont know the difference in the molds.

Been throwing the Focus/Ace race since January - I carry 4, 2softs 1 prod and 1 esp. For my style of play they really are the mutts nuts.

Focus ESP (acerace) - should be very stable, I have 2 in 170's. They are the fastest of the foci, and get mileage in the trees, the ESP holds up exceptionally well, dont loose them and you wont need any more. If you can give it hight to work with you can expect good D with this driving putter.

Soft Focus - Imo best for upshots as its has a great feel to it (if you like Discraft soft) nice and stable too, and holds its stability well. Good for skip free approaches. This is my most used disc by far, anywhere from 200 and in, especially those touch runs.

ProD Focus - Grippy texture like the soft, and stiff but will not put up wiht too much abuse. For me makes a perfect putter, takes a short time to beat out the new mould overstability but again holds its stability.

Whatever piece of plastic you feel confident throwing is the one to throw.