• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

For better accuracy, should you throw an understable disc?

brettmartin

I am a forehand thrower that has been playing for years, and was wondering about something. For better accuracy should I be throwing more understable discs instead of overstable discs?

Any recommendations for good forehand understable discs then?

Thanks.

I rarely throw forehand, so am not sure how this translates, but I will give it a shot. I think in general, understable discs while being easier to throw for distance and keeping a straighter line, I think they are a touch more unpredicatable then what an over stable disc is. I can control an overstable disc better then an understable one. I just know when it will fade left, for a RHBH thrower, and can throw with that in mind. An understable disc I tend to get a few shots that turn over too hard or end up going straight. Does this make sense?

you can get more lines out of an understable disc than an overstable.......it really boils down to throwing at the right speed. It's really not the disc thats so unpredictable as it is your armspeed. I'd say the more stable the more rigid the flight and this seems to give more control but you can't manipulate it in near as many ways as an understable. So I think I just confused everything. But the answer is ummm both.

I am a forehand thrower that has been playing for years, and was wondering about something. For better accuracy should I be throwing more understable discs instead of overstable discs?

Any recommendations for good forehand understable discs then?

Thanks.

Teebird.

I don't know if accuracy is the term I'd use. Overstable discs can be extremely accurate you just have to count on the fade and factor that into your throw. Understable discs will naturally fade less but sometimes seem less accurate because of a tendancey to turn. I play 90+% of all my non-putting shots FH. I am gradually moving away from the fallacy that the best FH discs are always overstable. The best FH discs are the ones that you can throw with less effort while shaping the lines you want. I am finding that my most consistent discs are ones that started out stable to overstable and have since been beaten into submission (Wraith, Destroyer, Surge, Crush, Tracker, TL, Shockwave, Buzzz). As you well know, form is always the key. Any disc that can be thrown BH can be thrown FH providing the form is clean.

ummm pretty sure the destroyer is -3 HSS ... pretty sure that's as understable as it gets and i can plant that disc just about any where i want it to be...

as for the original question, teebirds do seem to be what the majority of the crowd favors, i do like the orc, minimal fade, and the groove, little more fade...

I dont like understable for accuracy as much cause they by the very meaning are likely to turn. Sure, you dont have to throw them as hard but thats why they make slower discs.

Reason a Teebird is so accurate is it is so reliable to lock onto a straight line, resist turn and have a dependable fade; and its not a hard disc to throw. For shorter throws, Pretty sure thats why the Core, Buzzz, Roc and Wasp are so popular. None are really understable or overstable when talking high speed stability and 2 have more fade than the other 2 and it becomes a preference from there.

forehand understable....i wouldn't shoot for anything less than a wraith or beast (but i don't fh the often....i'd like to know as well). though i've never seen anyone FH understable discs. had a thread a while back asking that question.

BH here ... and IMO understable discs are more accurate. lines are more easily shaped.

There is a funny thing about FH in that the snap it generate immediately makes overstable discs more usable. Many BH throws (myself included) have trouble straightening them out much and thus like the understables because they compensate for a lack of a certain ability (not weakness, just difference). Thus many FHs like overstable discs because they can get them to go relatively far but most importantly accurate. The action and prediction is natural and intuitive where the snap used with understable discs turns them over and they're harder to manipulate because they require a finesse many of us don't desire to work for. Those who do take this time greatly appreciate the ability (Mark Ellis for example).

Now for another odd part. When FH/OH sports background plays a HUGE factor as many people FH because it mimics the baseball, football, american style hand eye coordination throw that we're all so use and if you played either in high school you probably have a decent FH to start with. I preface with this because this bring us to the other natural FHers Racket users. Mark Ellis states in one of his videos was a Racquetball player and converted his kill shot into a disc golf throw. A "local legend" on my home course was tennis and baseball player in high school and picked up FH lickety split and his primary driver is a beat very understable Valk and he drives it about 340-350 on an already ingrained motion from his tennis days. So you can throw understable discs very well as FH if your willing to be the guy to investigate and really get that ball rolling. FH has not been as indepthly researched as BH and I would say there are only a handful of people in each state who have a really strong grasp on it. I've been trying to get my GF to learn understable FH stuff because he overstable she already bombs.... farther than me (FH that is, I go farther BH).

So there's my diatribe.

I FH valks/wildcats/sidewinders nearly every round. They each have their place, mostly in tailwind, light wind situations. Its all about the amount of hyzer you throw them with. Once you figure out that out, they can be deadly accurate, and very very long.

Latest posts