• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] For open upshots, which disc and line do you choose to throw?

In general a Putter because they are easy to place and control, probably my Icon Clutch on a slight hyzer line that it will hold and keep going forward. If its longer upshot a gravity Ghost on a slight hyzer. If its windy i use a higher speed disc thats beefy maybe a pinnacle Ghost or Champ Firebird, something that will cut through the wind and fight from flipping over.

If you can, ALWAYS throw the hyzer line, its simple and easy to predict.

Last edited:
If its truly wide open I think most people will go with a hyzer of some kind.

For me personally, I'll go with a straight shot up to about 200 feet, because that's how far I can throw an Atom or an Envy (if windy) without much effort and it is a very controllable distance/line that I feel gives me a better chance at some metal. Point and shoot as it were.

Beyond that, I'll probably be playing a hyzer line of some degree with gradually incrementing speed discs that are stable but not Overstable. As the wind picks up, the level of over stability will also increase in order to compensate.

What everyone else said, but with a Polecat.

If it's windy, Warrior.

If it's reaaaaaaally windy, my meathooky Z Avenger.

Depending on the distance, 300+ Champ FB, 200-300 Opto Tdident, 200 or less BT Soft Harp.

Wind open, I'm throwing my coyote on a slight hyzer. I like the coyote over a putter because I get a little more distance/glide with less effort from it. Now this for like 50' and greater upshots, less I'm probably taking a run at it. Wide open around 200' and in the coyote is a great point and shoot disc which works for me.

For approaches I throw my Soft VP on a hyzer. It's amazingly hit and stick.

I never hyzer these types of open shots, but usually have great results. There's something about the straight flight of a disc that's more appealing.

If it's a true upshot (225 and in) wind is a huge factor for me because I, like pretty much everyone else here, would be throwing a putter. Like BigSky, I prefer to go straight at it and I usually use an Envy if it's over 75 feet. The great thing about the Envy si you don't have to give it traditional "putter height" to get putter distance.

I have been using my Armor Scale a lot more on hyzer shots lately because the ground is softening up and hyzers are sticking better. If there is much wind at all, I'll be using the Scale. However, if the wind is at my back I'll be using the Lockjaw.

forehand roller with something reliable like a groove.

YES MY FIRST SNARKY DGCR RESPONSE!

ok 200ft open shot:

heavy wind (that means like 25mph gusts) - hyzer with gator let it skiiiiiiip towards that pin
moderate wind (15-20mph gusts) - Champ Roc3 with hyzer still let it skip
light wind - P2 putter hyzer also have to think about skip maybe aim 10ft away landing...
no wind - could be anything, maybe a putter or midrange whatever I'm feeling. maybe even a flick with a midrange. straight right at it with an Atlas or Nova... (that can be touchy but I'd float it high a bit)... might even go with the gator or P2 with a huge hyzer if I'm not confident with my straight shot... could be anything really....

Hyzer approaches are noob method, see it all the time...2-3 lame hyzer approaches to finally get into putting range.

I usually throw a champ gator or a zone if it's 230 to 150 ft to the pin. Anything further than that and I'm using a kc roc or teebird, hyzer line of course.

Latest posts