• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] For the love of LEGACY

Would you compare it to a very beat up Firebird? I throw a Gstar Firebird when I need something just a bit more stable than my Rivals, but you have me intrigued here.

I love the Firebird and just last season decided that I could carry two champs in my tourney bag lineup without any overlap, one fresh one well seasoned. I've thrown CE, Champion, and Star Firebirds but I don't have any experience with Gstar. I do have some beat up FBs and FLs but I wouldn't put the NEW Pinnacle plastic Rivals in the same category with any of them. Firebirds don't glide near as well and find the ground quicker when they slow down while the New Pinn Rivals have more of a strong sweeping fade similar to the PD, Brinster Teebird, or VIP Longbowman but the fresh new Rivals I've thrown aren't as overstable as any of those.

Any problem for big wind, or torque money Off Axis Torque? Not for this Pro Level plastic...

I love the Firebird and just last season decided that I could carry two champs in my tourney bag lineup without any overlap, one fresh one well seasoned. I've thrown CE, Champion, and Star Firebirds but I don't have any experience with Gstar. I do have some beat up FBs and FLs but I wouldn't put the NEW Pinnacle plastic Rivals in the same category with any of them. Firebirds don't glide near as well and find the ground quicker when they slow down while the New Pinn Rivals have more of a strong sweeping fade similar to the PD, Brinster Teebird, or VIP Longbowman but the fresh new Rivals I've thrown aren't as overstable as any of those.

Any problem for big wind, or torque money Off Axis Torque? Not for this Pro Level plastic...

Thank you for the detailed response. That sounds exactly what i was looking for. Gstar Firebirds start less stable than any Champ or Star (even the used ones I have thrown). It is still very stable, but maybe closer to what I hear Fd3s described as. But then they beat in a bit more pretty quickly. However, because of the mold, they only lose a little stability before they settle in to a great spot. I will probably try at least one of these new Rivals, but I have enough backup Gstars that it may never replace them. Anyway, thanks again for a useful and detailed answer to my question.

Thank you for the detailed response. That sounds exactly what i was looking for. Gstar Firebirds start less stable than any Champ or Star (even the used ones I have thrown). It is still very stable, but maybe closer to what I hear Fd3s described as. But then they beat in a bit more pretty quickly. However, because of the mold, they only lose a little stability before they settle in to a great spot. I will probably try at least one of these new Rivals, but I have enough backup Gstars that it may never replace them. Anyway, thanks again for a useful and detailed answer to my question.

You're welcome friend:hfive:

I thought the FD3 was similar to the Felon, as in an Overstable mold, less than FBs but still a different slot. I've seen new champ eagles, before they lose their initial HSS, that flew similar lines to the New Rivals... not the circle stamp eagles though, those are indeed mini firebirds.

I thought the FD3 was similar to the Felon, as in an Overstable mold, less than FBs but still a different slot. I've seen new champ eagles, before they lose their initial HSS, that flew similar lines to the New Rivals... not the circle stamp eagles though, those are indeed mini firebirds.

Yes, I would agree that the FD3, Felon, and Gstar Firebird are all about the same stability when new, based on descriptions I have read and the couple of Felon throws I have made, and noticeably more overstable than any Rival I have thrown. I did not really make that clear and was just trying to gauge how overstable/very stable these new Rivals are. However, I get the impression that as FD3s and Felons beat in, they start to overlap with the most stable Rivals (I know this is the case with my beat Gstar Firebird and my max weight stiff flat pinnacle Rivals).

I'm definitely loving this new clear Pinnacle blend. Rivals, Patriots, Ghosts and Gauges are all molding up great. The aqua-colored Glow Outlaws are pretty nice, too. They are like a fairly stiff Pinnacle with a bit more grip to them. Legacy is putting out some amazing stuff right now!

How does the new clear plastic fly compared to the older stuff?

Overall, the discs in the new clear Pinnacle fly more stable for me. In particular, the Patriots and Rivals I've tried are noticeably beefier. They are also molding up nice and flat. The Ghost is slightly more stable than older Pinnacles I've thrown, but not by a huge margin - same with the Gauge.

I really wish they would run the Enemy in this plastic. It would probably be amazing.

I really wish they would run the Enemy in this plastic. It would probably be amazing.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe I am not remembering this right, but I think I remember a promo vid by Steve Rico for the Enemy where he was throwing some proto Enemies and the discs looked very clear and the profile looked very flat.

I'm definitely loving this new clear Pinnacle blend. Rivals, Patriots, Ghosts and Gauges are all molding up great. The aqua-colored Glow Outlaws are pretty nice, too. They are like a fairly stiff Pinnacle with a bit more grip to them. Legacy is putting out some amazing stuff right now!

I've never really been a fan of Innova Jolly Launcher type plastic due to the slick grip but a slightly beefier Rival could find a home in my fairway line up. Love the pearly Pinnacle, how's the grip on the clear blend?

...but a slightly beefier Rival could find a home in my fairway line up.

I have a sparkle rival that is beefy compared to my max weight pinnacles. My sparkle flies very similarly to my color glow Teebird. I only have one of each, so small sample size.
I'm interested in these clear patriots, if they're slightly more stable than pearly pinnacles I'm gonna need to try one.

IME the FD3 is a lot more mellow of a disc in the sense that it has the very high HSS and less LSS than the firebird or felon or its ilk. The Felon, again in my very limited experience, appears to start with all the HSS one would need, but with a sharper, faster dump at the end.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe I am not remembering this right, but I think I remember a promo vid by Steve Rico for the Enemy where he was throwing some proto Enemies and the discs looked very clear and the profile looked very flat.

Yeah, I think I know the video you are talking about. Came out quite a while before the Enemy was actually released IIRC.

I've never really been a fan of Innova Jolly Launcher type plastic due to the slick grip but a slightly beefier Rival could find a home in my fairway line up. Love the pearly Pinnacle, how's the grip on the clear blend?

I'd say they are slightly less grippy than the pearlies I've held. I haven't had any issues with grip on them, though. Even in the cold and dry weather.

Looking for a destroyer like disc in legacy...I currently bag AJs and echos... I'm looking for a cheaper replacement ... Love 167ish Star Destroyers that feel a little gummy. Dose the outlaw Fit this and if so what run, weight or plastic??

Looking for a destroyer like disc in legacy...I currently bag AJs and echos... I'm looking for a cheaper replacement ... Love 167ish Star Destroyers that feel a little gummy. Dose the outlaw Fit this and if so what run, weight or plastic??

What sort of flight are you looking for? The outlaw is probably right between a wraith and a destroyer, in general. 2nd run pinnacle outlaws probably would fit the bill at 167ish if you want something with controllable turn but still consistent fade. My 167ish 2Rs are the longest discs. If you want something with more wind resistance, you'd want a first run, but would be hard pressed to find them in lighter weights these days. I tend to use heavier 1Rs for 350'+ hyzers.

Haven't thrown the 3rd runs yet - but they are on the shelf at my local pro shop. I'll get a couple this spring when I can spend more time outside practicing.

Legacy Icon gives up a little durability but has a much better grip than most star discs I've fingered. Weight plays a decent predictor of stability so get a decent spread in any color and they shouldn't overlap like 167 and a 175 (171+) in Icon plastic. Stay away from the swirly icon, it's stiff but also nicely overstable.

Just saw an add for Legacy Skyline plastic. Does anyone know what this is or what it's similar to?

Legacy describes Skyline as a special blend of additives that are mixed into the Icon and Pinnacle plastic mixes to achieve a lighter weight. I have a 156 gram Cannon that feels pretty much like Icon and flies pretty far.

How dose the feel differ from pinnacle and icon? Also what colors OS-S-US

Pinnacle is Legacy's version of the durable plastic other manufacturers brand as Champion/Elite-Z/VIP... Like any manufacturer the plastic "feel" is all over the place. I've felt Pinnacle that was very firm and I've felt it gummy. Legacy's New Pinnacle blend is very firm, flat, and seems very durable much like Innova's Jolly Launcher plastic but without the slick grip. Overall, I'd consider Innova's Champion to be stiffer (more durable) and less grippy. Discraft's Elite-Z the closest make for hand feel with Legacy a little better grip. Latitude 64's VIP is softer, more grippy, but seasons too quickly for my liking.

Icon is Legacy's version of the less durable but more grippy plastic other manufactures brand as Star/ESP/Gold Line... Again, like any manufacturer the plastic feel is all over the place. Legacy recently released swirly Outlaws that came out very stiff and overstable much like Innova's swirly Star plastic. In general, I'd consider Legacy's Icon to be softer that Star with better grip. Discraft's ESP is similar to Icon, some blends are soft and grippy others are more firm and slicker. Durability of gummy Icon (like Discraft's FLX) tends to be better and more stable while the softer ESP and some softer Icon will split or gouge on hard impacts. Latitude 64's gold line is more consistent for hand feel with a durable flexible plastic but in general a slicker grip compared to Icon.

Regarding colors as it relates to stability, I've found white and especially red to be more overstable. Green, purple, and orange to be less stable with the caveat being that my sample size on colors other than red, white, blue, and yellow is limited AND weight tends to be a big factor for predicting stability.