• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Def not Champy Star, it's a new blend of Champion. imo Champystar hasn't been run since like 2008. Most common in red Star, seen it in XCals, Orcs, Beasts, and some Teebirds.

My haul of Champ 170-172's. They're all medium dome and fairly gummy and grippy, reminds me of Lat 64's Opto blend. Also are the new tooling that has "www.innovadiscs.com" on one side and "made in USA" on the opposite.

a03f368d91be1aed670b5aaadbcc4cc0.jpg

I handled some in a local store (most likely from the same run as yours if I had to guess) and the plastic was pretty nice. I was never a fan of the stiff, slick champ plastic so I was happy to see the slightly gummy, grippy stuff.

Imo this run feels somewhat cheap. The Jolly Launcher run(s) from ~2012-2014 were among my favorite, they were a little slick to begin with but were pretty much indestructible and flew great. Runs of Champ since then have overall been a bit more pliable and decent but this feels like a step change. We'll see how they fly...

Imo this run feels somewhat cheap. The Jolly Launcher run(s) from ~2012-2014 were among my favorite, they were a little slick to begin with but were pretty much indestructible and flew great. Runs of Champ since then have overall been a bit more pliable and decent but this feels like a step change. We'll see how they fly...

When Jolly Launcher was new, I thought the old hazy/pearly champ that was otherwise common at the time was poopy by comparison.

Now that JL is old hat, I miss the old poopy, I mean pearly, champ.

When Jolly Launcher was new, I thought the old hazy/pearly champ that was otherwise common at the time was poopy by comparison.

Now that JL is old hat, I miss the old poopy, I mean pearly, champ.

The old super hard pearly champ is the most durable plastic ever. I have some glow Teebirds in that plastic that could probably kick a hole in a brick wall.

I picked up a metal flake Teebird today. I only got to throw it twice. Seems pretty rad--maybe slightly more stable? What's the rep on MF TBirds?

I got some more throws this morning with the new MF. Mine is 169g. I've concluded that it's a tick more stable than worn Star or new GStar. Two ticks more stable than DX. All three are fairly similar, these are tiny ticks, not full +1 fade.

DX: (75) -1, 1
seasoned Star: 0, 1
MF: 0, 2

I love this new MF. It's stable, but not overbearing--I'm getting near identical shapes and distances, but the stability is there--the skip angle tells me so. It's just enough to bag it and use it if there's doubt. Sorta like a Teeb3, actually. With the slightest hint of Thunderbird DNA.

I picked up 3 more MF's.

I picked one up today myself. This run of plastic is very nice by my standards- grippy and a little flexible. Might have to grab a couple more to hoard for backups. Seems like most of the ones at my closet local shop were all a little lighter than I prefer so may just order online somewhere.

Lost my favorite and go-to Teebird in the leaves Wednesday feelsbad.jpg...going to try to go at sundown tomorrow with my UV light. Half of me has been forcing Teebird shots (Comet/Buzzz/flavor of the week and Roadrunner/Valk/Thunderbird) because I truly feel like I don't need a tweener. Mixed emotions for sure.

Can someone remind me why I need a Teebird between the listed?

I like angle manipulation not releasing everything flat and nose down (ultimate background)

I ditched the speed 7 discs for a while. Just didn't really think I needed something between my mids and 9 speed stuff. Discovered there were a fair amount of holes where teeing with a mid always left me a long putt but driving those holes with the 9's would often put me long past the basket leaving me a long putt. I don't power down well on discs so I rediscovered the speed 7's because those holes I just mentioned were easier to reach without overshooting.

Lost my favorite and go-to Teebird in the leaves Wednesday feelsbad.jpg...going to try to go at sundown tomorrow with my UV light. Half of me has been forcing Teebird shots (Comet/Buzzz/flavor of the week and Roadrunner/Valk/Thunderbird) because I truly feel like I don't need a tweener. Mixed emotions for sure.

I like angle manipulation not releasing everything flat and nose down (ultimate background)

My immediate reaction was to make a longform youtube video about why the Teebird is a great choice for a driver. You know, if you like the idea of a super-basic putter-driver approach to disc golf.

I *need* to do that!

Until then, this is all I got.

What do you need a Teebird between Comet/Buzz and Thunderbird/Valk/RR/etc.?

You don't need any dang thing! Comet the whole round, it's prolly a killer round. Or Comet/Thunderbird.

The re-cage I would offer is this:

Of every disc I've thrown, the Teebird is the closest to the *ideal* of a driver for me.

It goes nearly as far as anything you could throw.

It excels in the 95% confidence interval of wind conditions.

It is weirdly, reassuringly consistent.

It excels at holding a line.

It is the closest driver I've ever found, that goes super far, that doesn't turn, but also has super-mild LSS characteristics.

My lizard brain tells me it's gonna save my ass over time.

Last edited:
I threw my new MF Teebirds today a ton. They are absolutely a tick more beefy than stock Star/GStar.

I get similar distance if I manipulate the release angle. They still bomb. I would imagine they can tolerate HW better than more neutral Teebirds.

They perform like a Teebird and Thunderbird had a baby.

Fairway drivers are for shot shaping and control. What shapes do you need?

I use these in the PNW :
- flip to flat, hold, low fade.
- slow, long drifting turnover
- slow pan out of anhyzer to flat
- ranging shot, straight to fade
- anyhyzer flex to fade
- all forehand lines bcz I dont have speed 12+ forehand power

For me what worked best was to find a sweet spot disc and find variations of plastic and cycling to work the different lines.

Teebird does that well for some people, but new runs are too stable IMO, so my sweet spot is a Q-JLS. I can get more stable S-JLS and less stable M(pro) JLS to cover most shots. a few OLF/Thunderbirds, a utility 9403 and a Kaxe Z round it out for me.

For some people different molds for different shots works better.

Just remember what discs cover what lines. That's what they're there for. If it isnt doing a job, it doesnt need to be there.

Last edited:
Fairway drivers are for shot shaping and control. What shapes do you need?

I use these in the PNW :
- flip to flat, hold, low fade.
- slow, long drifting turnover
- slow pan out of anhyzer to flat
- ranging shot, straight to fade
- anyhyzer flex to fade
- all forehand lines bcz I dont have speed 12+ forehand power

For me what worked best was to find a sweet spot disc and find variations of plastic and cycling to work the different lines.

Teebird does that well for some people, but new runs are too stable IMO, so my sweet spot is a Q-JLS. I can get more stable S-JLS and less stable M(pro) JLS to cover most shots. a few OLF/Thunderbirds, a utility 9403 and a Kaxe Z round it out for me.

For some people different molds for different shots works better.

Just remember what discs cover what lines. That's what they're there for. If it isnt doing a job, it doesnt need to be there.

I appreciate the thought and effort that went into this post.

My Comets go pretty far, and I think you solidified the fact that I'm forcing the use of Teebirds. Hell, I refused to throw one for over 10 years on the [stupid] principal that everyone loves them and sings their praise. It was annoying how loved they were lol...I digress.

I wrote a wall of text but that belongs in other threads; thanks for helping me decide where my bag stands. FSOT some Teebirds!

Honorable mention to the JLS - I used to loooooove that mold (I still do, but I used to, too).

Latest posts