• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Someone else suggested a TL once. I looked at a few in my local shop. They had really flat ones and some super pop top ones. I mean I don't think I've ever seen domes like those. I didn't look at them too long because there appeared to be a lot of variance in the way they molded up.

That surprises me, but I haven't thrown a lot of them. Either way, I would grab a star/champ one and try it for a few months.

Mine are/were realtively flat.

I've always thought color glow teebirds were pretty beefy. As far as the T3 goes, I've thrown a glow T3 from I believe the first batch that were ran and it was pretty overstable, recently ordered some for a tournament this last fall and the PLH was lower than the other and flew much more like a T3 should.

As far as regular TL's go, I've seen some flatter and I've seen some with stupid amounts of dome...star TL's primarily the culprits.

Based on what you're describing I'd say what you're looking for is a TL3. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in glow or color glow, but there are champ TL3's out there in a very nice gummy pearly plastic.

Well, I ordered a couple of the champion color glow Teebirds so I guess I'll see what they're like when they show up.

I think what I'm hoping for is that they fly a similar line to my champion metal flake Teebird3 but with a little more glide and a touch more distance.

I love my Anthony Barela Champion Glow Teebird3 - it's definitely a little glidier than a fresh Star/Champ Teebird. I think you'll like em!

Thanks for all of the advice.

Looks like my Teebirds shipped today.

The way shipping has been going these days I should have them in a couple of weeks. Lol.

So after I talk up using a TL instead of a teebird, my champ TL is now turning just a bit for me. I am happy to see this, as that is the shot shape I was hoping to see when I first picked up a TL. I think it compliments a more OS teebird very nicely. The shortest shot I would use a TL for is probably 275 and the longest is probably 350, but that may be pushing it.

Anyway, if you are looking for no turn, a fresh TL could be the perfect disc, but it looks like they can break in to being something you didn't end up wanting.

...Based on what you're describing I'd say what you're looking for is a TL3. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in glow or color glow, but there are champ TL3's out there in a very nice gummy pearly plastic.

Most recent run of Champ TL3 I got is a little gummier and slightly less stable than the previous runs, for what that's worth. They are nice and pearly and grippy.

Champ Glow TL3 would be awesome. Luster or Metal Flake would be my first pick for next TL3 plastic though as I prefer a firm feel.

Looks like my Teebirds shipped today.

The way shipping has been going these days I should have them in a couple of weeks. Lol.

Well I must be lucky. My color glow Teebirds showed up today. That was pretty quick compared to other things shipped to me recently.

The plastic is just as I expected, grippy and gummy and a little flexible but not too grippy or gummy or flexible. Mild dome and feel really good in the hand. They're in the bag and hopefully I'll get out and play a round in the next couple of days and see how they fly.

Anybody know what separates these two runs?

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_124303.jpg
    IMG_20200609_124303.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 75
I reckon the lighter ones are later runs? Which years did the teebird look like this?

Teebird Champ vs Star

Bumping this thread to get opinions on current runs of teebirds and how they fly...

I am liking the Champion plastic teebird as my stable with fade fairway driver. In an effort to simplify my bag and reduce molds, I am also using it powered down as an overstable mid for forehands and backhands. What are other current plastics flying like compared to the fairly stable champion plastic?

Also, anyone go from speed 7 drivers like teebird for control up to speed 11 drivers for distance? I am not sure if I need speed 9 drivers in this gap or not...trying to simplify.

Thanks!

Also, anyone go from speed 7 drivers like teebird for control up to speed 11 drivers for distance? I am not sure if I need speed 9 drivers in this gap or not...trying to simplify.

Go to a field and throw your speed 7 fairways and your speed 11 drivers for a bit. If you have a consistent gap of 45' or more than I personally would look into filling that gap. If around 30', then I'd only fill it if the courses you regularly play have a lot of tweener holes. If the distance gap is less than 30', then I wouldn't even think about trying to bag Speed 9's.

Edit: for reference, I bag speed 9 discs but no speed 7's. I don't feel like I have a gap in my bag.

Last edited:
A test SE/CE Tbird is going up for bids on Facebook soon. 1 of 60 made and not trashed by Innova. Starting asking price is $2500.00.

Bumping this thread to get opinions on current runs of teebirds and how they fly...

Thanks!

I have lately been bagging a few Teebirds, 175g dx for easy straight shots, beat 175g Star for long straight, newer 171g Star for overstable.
I then jump to a 168g Pro Wraith for max distance, and a domey 175g Star Destroyer for meat hook overstable.

Most of the time, I don't bother with anything in speed 8-10, except on a particular course where I will sometimes bring a 165g Star FL for a couple of holes. For me, it fills the spot of the fairway that definitely will not turn, and definitely fades, though not as much as a Firebird which is more beef than I need.

For me, a worked in Teebird will go as far as a Wraith in most situations. But, I find that I can't shape lines well with a Teebird. So, some holes require a distance driver. Also, Teebirds get affected by headwind more than a Wraith.

I'm a big fan of the current runs of Teebirds. I find they're very consistent and on the overstable side, which I prefer. The only distance driver I bag is a Champ Xcaliber and it covers all the shot shapes and headwind duties that a Teebird lacks at handling. I max out at 350' - 380' since I don't play nearly as often as I used to and a Teebird/Eagle does everything for me in those distances.

Latest posts