• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

for those dedicated to rocs or buzzzes

If you're dedicated to the roc or buzzz, do you still carry other midranges in your bag?

• Yes

Votes: 70 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 30.7%

• Total voters
I use the Meteor/Buzzz/Aftershock trifecta. I've tried using all Buzzzes but I don't like the way nearly all Buzzzes fly when they get flippy. They turn too fast. I had the Buzzz SS and felt sort of like it was the same, but I like the Meteor better. I also have tried very hard to just keep an overstable Buzzz in my bag, but the problem with this is that even in Z plastic it seems a Buzzz will lose overstability pretty quickly...Buzzzes are funny like that. They have such a straight character that they lose that overstability in a few good hits, but then take FOREVER to get real flippy. My favorite kind of Buzzz is one that takes just the slight bit of hyzer to ride flat without minimal fade. So anyway I recently added the Aftershock, and after surprisingly few throws it is clear to me that it is the closest thing to a Buzzz out there that is characteristically more overstable. It is faster than a Roc and so it flies lower losing its height more slowly. Like the Stalker, I feel like this is a disc I have willed into existence after years of private yearning. :p

BIG MACK said:
I throw Rancho Rocs in 3 stages of wear...but my bag will always have a Gator in it.

I've only thrown a Gator a few times but I rock a Demon now. Ive always heard the Gator is a more glideful Demon but found in practice the Gator is less overstable by a good amount. I want to get rid of my Demons but I need an overstable complement to my Ranchos. Anyone thrown both and can help me take the plunge?

Just a z glo buzz in my bag. I find it easy to throw it any direction. When I threw rocs I usually carried just a star roc that was broken in nicely and it did everything I needed too.

i cannot vote, i throw rocs and only rocs, but if i threw a buzzz i would need something else.

I carry 2 Buzzz in my bag and a gator. I used to throw Demon's but they were just much more than I really needed. The gator works great for me. I am thinking about adding a comet to see how I like that. setup.

masterbeato said:
i cannot vote, i throw rocs and only rocs, but if i threw a buzzz i would need something else.

Your vote should be "no" then.

The Roc can be more different discs than a Buzzz, that is for certain. The Buzzz pretty much represents the stage of wear in a Roc that is most versatile.

masterbeato said:

What's the difference, really, between carrying multiple rocs or a couple mids in different molds? The feel of the disc mean that much? Your most overstable roc and your will fly about like a wasp and a buzz.

I carry comets and buzzes. A broken in comet will turn on less power than just about any other disc, with possible exception of a thrashed disc. Buzz just goes straight. I have a crystal that I can hyzer and will work for any of my midrange shots.

I don't have enough power to worry about a more overstable midrange. If the wind is too hard, then I'm losing distance and therefore upgrade to a driver, if the ceiling is low so I can't do a big hyzer, then I have to upgrade to a driver, etc.

It's so personal preference and skill level though. Dan can throw a Roc 375' dead straight. If I could do that, then maybe my midrange selection changes, but I can't, so, by default, it has to be difference. I have much more understable stuff because I don't have the power to get something overstable flat for very long.

I carry 4 Buzzzes that vary by weight and wear; 3 are Pro D and one Domey Z Glo proto with the 2009 Memorial stamp. If I need to go longer I just soft touch a light Rogue.

Roc is all the mid i need, if i were in to buzzes i would need probly 2 other molds to compliment them......one of the reasons im not into the buzz i guess :wink:

Round and round it goes, where it stops...

Bottom line, if you're into hardcore minimalism I guess the Roc is the ONLY option.

If you don't care for how the Roc flies then you can throw MANY other fine discs and score better than if you were throwing something you didn't like. Some of them actually go together really well, arguably as well as throwing all Rocs. The lowest score wins.

I voted only Rocs, but I broke my understable Roc and temporarily replaced it with a beat to heck S Element X, which has been in my bag for the last 6 months while I try to beat a replacement Roc.

I have one Champ Rancho for uber-overstable duties. If I ever lose it, I'll put the Sanny Q Sents back in. While I think that Preds, Firebirds, Spirits, etc. can fly the same lines as my overstable mid, if I can't afford to skip big, I like the overstable mid.

discspeed said:

Bottom line, if you're into hardcore minimalism I guess the Roc is the ONLY option.

If you don't care for how the Roc flies then you can throw MANY other fine discs and score better than if you were throwing something you didn't like. Some of them actually go together really well, arguably as well as throwing all Rocs. The lowest score wins.

yah, i was attempting to avoid another roc v. buzzz discussion by putting them on equal pedestals, but the roc freaks cant seem to let it go. waiter: would you like some insecurity to go with that inconsistency? :mrgreen:

the unwrinkled ear said:
discspeed said:

yah, i was attempting to avoid another roc v. buzzz discussion by putting them on equal pedestals, but the roc freaks cant seem to let it go. waiter: would you like some insecurity to go with that inconsistency? :mrgreen:
yeah im sure you would have never imagined this thread degrading in to a pissing contest :roll: ......if i didnt know better id say you are trolling sir also if you want to see inconsistency try throwing your buzz in some wind :p

Our 4th Forum Rule should be: Thou shall not mention both Roc and Buzzz together in the same subject line of a thread. :lol:

the unwrinkled ear said:
discspeed said:

*sigh*

You were the first one in this thread who felt the need to stick up for your poor wittle Buzzz :lol:

the unwrinkled ear said:
abcd said:
I imagine the poll results will be skewed as the majority of buzz throwers carry something for overstable needs while most roc throwers just carry rocs. At least that's my experience.

hmm, i carry buzzzs and just use heavier z buzzzes with hyzer for more overstable needs. the only time i consider other mids is for understable turns (i dont get a decent S out of a buzzz at all- it just goes wherever i throw it)

This guys post bothered you(it struck some deep Buzzz insecurity nerve) so much that you felt the need to quote him and share with the class that "Hey my Buzzz can do that too!". :mrgreen: And now you're going after Jessie and calling him insecure? :shock:

Discspeed is who I go to on here about Buzzz knowledge - He prefers the Buzzz but at least acknowledges the fact that the Roc is more stable and can wear more hats. Just like I totally agree(concede :lol: ) with his analysis that the Buzzz flies like a Roc that is in the "sweet spot", as well as having some other slight advantages(mainly low ceiling distance).

But let me get this straight Unwrinkled, you use a "heavier buzzz" for "overstable mid duties"(When I think overstable wind-killer I think Buzzz too!)? And only feel the need to supplement your beat Buzzz with something less stable :shock:

Sounds kind of crazy to me, but then again - so do "Power Balance magnet bracelets" :lol:

*edit* Yes, this thread is now officially at the "event horizon" of turning into another black hole Roc VS. Buzzz shit storm. :mrgreen:

Latest posts