• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Forehand Drone and OS Nuke

SI just like the Nuke OS as a preferred distance driver because I can throw it hard without flipping it. Deep baseball background, so throwing hard is comfortable for me.

You can throw understable discs equally as hard...you're missing the point:|

What a dip**** comment.

Lulz.

Elaborate.

It's a dip**** comment because--well, you've all ready got it all figured out obviously. You don't need me to explain it to you. Every player is exactly like you, after all.

But let's change the discs for another perspective. I putt with a big bead. I can't putt well at all with a beadless putter. Is my putt "****ed" because I can putt much better with certain putter types, beads, stabilities, etc.?

You're being silly. I don't putt with a big bead, but if I did and it was flipping on me I wouldn't blame the disc. Much of golf comes down to the individual but there are some standards that can be observed.

Ok so I worked all day yesterday so I wasnt able to comment back on any of the suggestions. It was funny though to see where the thread started and where it ended up at.

As far as the Nuke goes, I think I will take the suggestions made and stay away from it for awhile longer. I just wanted to see if me being comfortable throwing a very os pred would translate into being comfortable with the nuke and in turn getting more distance. I like the pred and will be using it a ton, I guess I was just looking ahead to see what discs I could look into for an even longer forehand driver.

As far as the drone goes, I dont know ha. I feel like the nuke was the more discussed disc in this thread. Id like to find that forehand mid disc to fill that niche for me. As far as the hornet suggestion goes, ive never tried that disc but will deffinatly look into it. Any suggestions are awesome thanks!

The Nuke OS is a very advanced golf disc meant for big arms. In the hands of normal players it is best as a spike hyzer, over hand and shorter hard turning shots, but honestly a slower disc like a pred or fb does the same thing for most players. I actually use one quite a bit for spikes, trouble shots and thumbers but not much for fh. I think the Nuke Os is a good disc for certain uses or if you can throw 500'+. John Drummond, a Discraft pro in Minnesota tears it up with the Nuke OS, he throws crazy accurate spikes and high flex bombs over 400' with it but he also has 600' distance. I would rather throw a drone or firebird/pred for a more controlled fh hyzer personally.

I use the drone for lots of fh work, it is money for me. I can get it out to about 300' fh and its great at short range on a variety of lines with that awesome reliable fade at the end. I personally like it better then the Hornet and I pairs well with the Buzzz to cover all mid fh shots.

The Nuke OS is a very advanced golf disc meant for big arms. In the hands of normal players it is best as a spike hyzer, over hand and shorter hard turning shots, but honestly a slower disc like a pred or fb does the same thing for most players. I actually use one quite a bit for spikes, trouble shots and thumbers but not much for fh. I think the Nuke Os is a good disc for certain uses or if you can throw 500'+. John Drummond, a Discraft pro in Minnesota tears it up with the Nuke OS, he throws crazy accurate spikes and high flex bombs over 400' with it but he also has 600' distance. I would rather throw a drone or firebird/pred for a more controlled fh hyzer personally.

I use the drone for lots of fh work, it is money for me. I can get it out to about 300' fh and its great at short range on a variety of lines with that awesome reliable fade at the end. I personally like it better then the Hornet and I pairs well with the Buzzz to cover all mid fh shots.

I thought about using that pairing for my mid fh shots. Now do you tend to use the buzzz for more straight lines and the drone for more fade?

My question is would a OS Nuke be a much longer example of this?<<

Not to my experience with discraft (which is limited).. I've found Force & surge for big OS with flash for a throw with more shape..

>> I guess this is a two part question because when looking at the flight charts it seems like the drone would be a good forehand mid. <<

Look to Zone for something less than driver for fh from discraft.. in my experience drones will become flippy in fairly short order with a lot of use..

I really liked the Hornet as a fh mid. I use my Drone for anything moving hyzer the whole time, but the Hornet I can put on a straight line and it goes straight; put a little anny on it, it goes anny. I used a FLX Buzzz when I lost my Hornet; it's not the same. It has a little bit of turn to it. Buzzz is still a good FH mid, it just didn't work as well as the Hornet for me.

Nuke OS is the same as the Drone IMO (just a max D driver instead of a mid). They both have about a +1 HSS. It gives them very unique lines that nothing else can cover, but they're not versatile. If you're looking for a go-to fh disc, I wouldn't suggest either disc. My suggestion would be a Hornet, Force, Pulse, maybe a Z Nuke. I think those would be most like a Pred, excepting speed.

Look to Zone for something less than driver for fh from discraft.. in my experience drones will become flippy in fairly short order with a lot of use..

While the Zone is a good FH disc, I've used my FLX Drone for a long while (spiking it all over the place) and it's never lost any stability. What plastic are you using?

I thought about using that pairing for my mid fh shots. Now do you tend to use the buzzz for more straight lines and the drone for more fade?

I use the buzzz for straight lines, slight hyzers and turnovers. It is fantastic FH and it is the disc that helped me learn better form. Throw it low with a lot of hyzer and it travels fairly straight with a slight constant fade, it will skip up nicely just a little to the right (rhfh). Put a little anny on it and it holds the line and has a gentle fade. It is just fantastic FH.

Also, ESP Flx Drones and Z Drones do not become flippy. I have been using the same flx drone for 2 years a lot and it still is freaking over stable and reliable for all shots I use it for. The Zone is another disc I use, it is a little shorter then the drone and doesn't skip as much. Honestly I get more D from Drones and use them for 175'-300' FHs and I use the zone inside that range fh.

I like the sound of the hornet and once again im still considering the drone. I like the suggestion of a force and pulse as a more d fh disc. Ive tried using a putter fh for my mid to approach fh shots but it never felt comfortable because of the deep rim. Im assuming that the force and pulse have a shallower inside rim since theyre drivers but what about the hornet and drone?

It's funny that you have no trouble with the Drone's rim since it's anything but shallow. It's why I switched to the Zone (one reason anyway).

You can throw understable discs equally as hard...you're missing the point:|

Lulz.

Not with the same arm speed and consistency as I can throw an OS. I can punch a Teebird 400 ft on a zip line from time to time if I hit it right, but its not as consistent.

Yes, throwing the teebird opposed to the Nuke OS is easier on my arm, yes it can go just as far, yes it means my form isn't 100% perfect.

BUT

For my game the Nuke OS works more consistently. Not trying to say my way is the law and it will work for everyone, just trying to share what works for me. And its not like I'm throwing the Nuke OS on 250' shots. I am throwing it 450'+ on a good huck.

Please don't make me out to be some novice. My style may be a bit more non-conventional, but that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else if they try it too.

The Drone's rim is pretty deep and always bothered me. The FLX I had was pancake flat, and I still never adjusted to it. I know that Kingery will probably jump down my throat on this (despite not having a decent argument against Mike C, who has actually proven he knows what he's talking about), but it seems like every disc you're considering for FH is (mega-)overstable. I personally believe that you're not doing yourself any favors doing this.

I started the same way and spent many years watching my Flicks and Forces go right (lefty here) thanks to OAT and then fade back, sometimes not. It wasn't until I started trying discs more on the stable (neutral) side that my form improved and my distances started growing (and consistently). Your money is yours to spend, but overstable plastic will continue to mask form flaws in much the same way ultra speed drivers do. Stable discs will be frustrating to start, but once you click with them the fun will begin. For the record, look at my signature. Only the Zone is really overstable, and I throw all those discs FH. Two years ago it would've been overstable discs only that would've all been thrown on flex lines to get any distance.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.