• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Forehand Drone and OS Nuke

dickyp1113

Par Member
Tried searching for this answer but couldnt find it. I recently purchased a z pred for forehand driving based on the assumption that since its very overstable that it would be good for that use. Ive taken it out a few times and its exactly what ive been looking for. My question is that using that same idea that a very overstable disc would be good for forehand throws, would a OS Nuke be a much longer example of this? I guess this is a two part question because when looking at the flight charts it seems like the drone would be a good forehand mid. Id love to add a longer forehand disc and a mid forehand to my bag. What do you guys think? Thanks

Any disc can forehand. Understable discs just require better form or else they flip all over the place. It's more about what feels better in your hand. I short flick with a Trident, which is very overstable but the blunt rim feels better. If driving forehand, I use a Sword, which is not overstable at all.

Forehand and backhand will use the same laws of disc stability. A Nuke OS is going to fade hard no matter which way you throw it. Find what kind of lines you're trying to make (distance, dogleg right, etc.) and then determine the disc for you.

And honestly, pick up a neutral stability disc and just suck with it for awhile. Learn the form, and when you can confidently throw that understable disc forehand you'll be able to take anything out of your bag and forehand it.

Overstable for FH shots is a myth...they hide form flaws and only make your flick worse IMO.

But yes, in theory the Drone and NukeOS will do you what you're assuming they will.

You will hear ppl tell you to FIND AN UNDERSTABLE DISC TO LEARN GOOD FORM ....its complete bs. Find one you can control. I had a so called PRO on a course on my first warm up throw say dude your doing it wrong. He was like you need understable and throw it like this....his disc flipped over and went way off in the woods. I took out my Avenger and with a 75% throw put it dead center of the fairway. He played holes with us and I was -5 he was +2.

My suggestions for discs to throw FH

Drivers:
Nuke OS ---- NO NO NO get a Force and you will be a lot happier

Z Avenger ---- Get one in the light 160s and one about 170. Very workable FH and BH FLX will be like throwing a longer Pred.

Surge ---- Longer than Avenger a bit more initial turn, but great disc

Mids:
Hornet ---- Choose this over the Drone. Its better FH. the drone moves more L to R before cutting back hard. the hornet will hold a line then cut. Its flatter and easier to flick. I like my drone but only use on short high hyzer approaches on windy days where I normally use putters.

If you are throwing your predator well, I don't think the OS will be too much different. The OS is massively overstable and probably won't give you much more D.

Personally, I believe a star destroyer is the best forehand disc you can have. Get it a little beat and you can shape alot of lines.

You will hear ppl tell you to FIND AN UNDERSTABLE DISC TO LEARN GOOD FORM ....its complete bs.

Sorry bud, false.

*Do note I never mentioned what he should throw

You will hear ppl tell you to FIND AN UNDERSTABLE DISC TO LEARN GOOD FORM ....its complete bs. Find one you can control. I had a so called PRO on a course on my first warm up throw say dude your doing it wrong. He was like you need understable and throw it like this....his disc flipped over and went way off in the woods. I took out my Avenger and with a 75% throw put it dead center of the fairway. He played holes with us and I was -5 he was +2.

My suggestions for discs to throw FH

Drivers:
Nuke OS ---- NO NO NO get a Force and you will be a lot happier

Z Avenger ---- Get one in the light 160s and one about 170. Very workable FH and BH FLX will be like throwing a longer Pred.

Surge ---- Longer than Avenger a bit more initial turn, but great disc

Mids:
Hornet ---- Choose this over the Drone. Its better FH. the drone moves more L to R before cutting back hard. the hornet will hold a line then cut. Its flatter and easier to flick. I like my drone but only use on short high hyzer approaches on windy days where I normally use putters.

That guy clearly was a poser.

The reason I like a stable disc for most forehands is because I use flick shots to compliment my backhand. This generally means I'm throwing a hyzer with my forehands. A Firebird is a great disc for this and it is a very predictable hyzer and power disc. A comet or gazelle or katana just won't do the same thing. For less drastic hyzers a tee bird is great; Longer hyzer's is a destroyer.

This is not about learning to flick, or throwing forhand for every shot. I'm talking about throwing forhand hyzers to compliment a backhand. I throw some anhyzers flick to get out of trouble, or inside 200 with my rhyno but my bread and butter flick is firebird hyzer.

I FH 50% of the time, and I only flick OS discs--flat-top FBs (up to 330') and the Boss (330'+). I don't doubt what anyone has said so far in this thread in regard to personal experience, but it's just that--PERSONAL experience. You may be a player who can flick less stable plastic, and you may be like me and prefer the OS stuff. I tend to flip everything less stable than a FB if I go for distance. I can finesse-FH anything, and I do often (Buzzzes, putters, etc.), but I'm talking drives here. Only flicking OS, some might say, is a bad choice because discs always finish right (RHBH, I assume); however, if you also throw well BH like I do it's not a big deal--I just throw BH if the show calls for left/hyzer finish or straight finish.

Ultimately, it depends on your technique and overall game. No one has THE right answer here. If you're like me and have a solid BH you can rely on, you might as well start with the OS plastic if you already like the Pred.

Also IMO, the Nuke OS sucks. It's much more difficult to get serious distance (400'+) with a Nuke OS than it is a Boss right out of the box. Just my opinion, though.

Tried searching for this answer but couldnt find it. I recently purchased a z pred for forehand driving based on the assumption that since its very overstable that it would be good for that use. Ive taken it out a few times and its exactly what ive been looking for. My question is that using that same idea that a very overstable disc would be good for forehand throws, would a OS Nuke be a much longer example of this? I guess this is a two part question because when looking at the flight charts it seems like the drone would be a good forehand mid. Id love to add a longer forehand disc and a mid forehand to my bag. What do you guys think? Thanks

i used to flick with a nuke os, OMG what a horrible disc for driving. Dont get me wrong, it is a great utility disc but it is actually too overstable for me, you could throw it like a roller and it would still go to a hyzer and just keep fading.

I think any mid is a forehand mid and if you want more D out of a driver for fh drives try something stable to mildly understable instead of overstable. I get 400'+ flicks much more easily with something like that than anything remotely close to a nuke os.

If you can't throw a stable disc like a teebird on a full power flick without it flipping over your throw is ****ed.

Nuke OS is my go to open field distance driver. 450' + on flex lines. Lots of fun, but can wear on your arm if you are not careful.

Sorry missed the edit window:

I'd also like to say its probably better to learn with midly Overstable discs like Teebirds and Destroyers. I just like the Nuke OS as a preferred distance driver because I can throw it hard without flipping it. Deep baseball background, so throwing hard is comfortable for me.

There is no magic disc, only magic disc golfers.