• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Inferiority Complex

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that. I have been throwing with index and middle fingers together on the inside of the rim.

I do it this way. Just try different grips until you find a comfortable one that feels like you get a lot of snap on the disc. Whatever you choose, being able to put a lot of spin on it smoothly should be your goal. The rest of it comes from practice and pushing your limits

Thanks 80played for clearing that up :) they were just jerks then.

Your fingers don't fit like this? Strange. You're right though. It's all dependent on the player. I've just found that you get more control with the stabilization finger and a lot of people who are foreign to the RHFH throw will start off by trying it with one finger. My advice was for people who haven't tried it or are only it trying it one way. My wording was bad I guess.

Whenever I teach people I tell them to hold the disc with one, then two. So they figure out what they like. I've never had a problem with stability, and most people that I've seen throw with two fingers do not hold the disc with that much of a fan on the center finger. Most butt it up against the middle finger. I think the only thing I disagreed with t i m on was that a forehand can't be as pretty as a backhand. The fluid motion of the body won't look as pretty, but the flight sure as hell can. Just yesterday I parked a 325 foot drive with a destroyer (steep uphill at the end) right under the basket. The disc went beautifully straight at about 5 foot off the ground, no turn or fade whatsoever, at the end it hit the hill and slid right up to the pin. And when it hit the hill it was showing no signs of stopping if the ground was still level. ;)

oh I made par member!!

Cheers all. Just another approach to the shot that might help someone out there. And I hope it does. It's freaking deadly when you get it down. Don't see many people that throw RHBH worm burning under tree limbs 320 feet on a woody drive. Now if only I could learn the RHBH. I can do almost anything with my FH but I see instances where I would love to be able to throw the BH.

I use a FH power grip that I haven't seen anyone else use and avg 350'. I think Avery and Stokley use something similar, but never actually seen them. I can't throw with only the index finger inside the rim and the disc seems to drag on my hand. The power grip feels more like throwing a fastball or curveball sidearm.

I've been working on my BH drive and made some huge improvements recently, avg 325'. Its really nice to go up the tee and be confident throwing BH or FH. I never threw a BH drive until about 6 months ago, it was all FH. I always struggled with FH annies, especially in a headwind, but now I just throw an easy BH hyzer on those shots. I try to let the wind and course dictate what I throw.

I have a question for those that are having problems with forehands, this could've been in a different thread but to avoid less clutter I'll stick it in this thread since we are already talking about forehand form.

I was reading this thread which points to the OAT thread here. My question is over the Avery picture.

On his backhand you see his shoulders parallel with his drive, which I had never noticed I do on my forehand. Do those who are having problems with it do this, or are you trying to use your arm too much? This could be the part where people always say it's "harder on your body" or "hurts more", but those that throw good forehands say it is easier on them.

Example: Whenever I do a massive hyzer, I start at the back left of the teebox, and wind up to the front right corner of the teebox. When I release I'm actually on one foot, and my body is leaning out over the fairway off the pad. In order to get such a strong, high hyzer, I basically do an underhand pitch, almost touching the ground with my disc. This makes my shoulders at about a -60 degree angle with the horizon. After release I've stepped off the teepad and my right shoulder is pointing at the original spot I aimed for the hyzer. I think people forget to use their body when they throw forehand, and just use their arm.

I have a question for those that are having problems with forehands, this could've been in a different thread but to avoid less clutter I'll stick it in this thread since we are already talking about forehand form.

I was reading this thread which points to the OAT thread here. My question is over the Avery picture.

On his backhand you see his shoulders parallel with his drive, which I had never noticed I do on my forehand. Do those who are having problems with it do this, or are you trying to use your arm too much? This could be the part where people always say it's "harder on your body" or "hurts more", but those that throw good forehands say it is easier on them.

Example: Whenever I do a massive hyzer, I start at the back left of the teebox, and wind up to the front right corner of the teebox. When I release I'm actually on one foot, and my body is leaning out over the fairway off the pad. In order to get such a strong, high hyzer, I basically do an underhand pitch, almost touching the ground with my disc. This makes my shoulders at about a -60 degree angle with the horizon. After release I've stepped off the teepad and my right shoulder is pointing at the original spot I aimed for the hyzer. I think people forget to use their body when they throw forehand, and just use their arm.

I find that using more arm is a good way to get more fade on a shot or to counter high speed turning tendancies. For instance, if you have a hole that goes right with no room to the left, I'll drop the shoulder and use my arm to propell it down, with some wrist snap to keep the disc to stay straighter.

I find that using more arm is a good way to get more fade on a shot or to counter high speed turning tendancies. For instance, if you have a hole that goes right with no room to the left, I'll drop the shoulder and use my arm to propell it down, with some wrist snap to keep the disc to stay straighter.

that's what I mean by using your body, by dropping your shoulder and getting wrist snap, that is less stress on your arm. I don't mean arm as in how hard you throw the disc, but rather the ratio of how much you snap/use your upperbody/use your arm/use momentum of your run-up. By not using the upper body and momentum of the body, you are relying on the power of your arm which usually overpowers the snap you just lost. This is where you new people go out and throw a forehand, and it wobbles as they release and fades hard. They are trying to throw it like they are throwing a baseball to their friend.

sometimes I wish I had a videocamera to tape myself so I could show/describe accurately :(

i think a lot of sore arms from FH probably are conditioning issues.
My FH problem is that when i throw flat sidearm as hard as i can using my legs/body etc i'll turn over any disc (Xcals/Flicks/Forces). Obviously to combat this i need to release the disc with a hyzer angle. However it's very awkward to get your legs into the throw if your arm is below 3 or 9 o'clock (depending on R or LH) if you have a normal runup. i'm Left handed so i think i need to create some type of "runup" where my left arm and shoulder are angled downward and i'm still able to use my legs in the throw.

I started LHFH off the tee and RHBH for everything else. My shoulder began to ache and so now I do everything RHBH unless I need a big bend....

i think a lot of sore arms from FH probably are conditioning issues.
My FH problem is that when i throw flat sidearm as hard as i can using my legs/body etc i'll turn over any disc (Xcals/Flicks/Forces). Obviously to combat this i need to release the disc with a hyzer angle. However it's very awkward to get your legs into the throw if your arm is below 3 or 9 o'clock (depending on R or LH) if you have a normal runup. i'm Left handed so i think i need to create some type of "runup" where my left arm and shoulder are angled downward and i'm still able to use my legs in the throw.

How much distance do you get off of that? I've never turned over any of those due to not having any but I can almost turn over a destroyer(like XCal) and it goes 400 ft avg when I'm hitting the turnover point. From what you are saying that tells me you are putting too much arm and not enough snap into it, the speed of the disc upon release is greater than the spin on the disc can handle, so it flips.

as for sidewinder I cant' watch that now but I will later and get back to you/give feedback.

t i m I think we just wrote a novel together. lol. We even both used arsenal ;)

Well done. I'm always glad to see someone else who (at times) elaborates a step above the message board norm. I'm a firm believer in context -- providing context for what I say -- especially in forums where my people are abstract avatars.

As for your post... they haven't outlawed Epics. If an epic-like disc were submitted now, it would not be approved under the new guidelines, but they were grandfathered in when the PDGA changed some of its guidelines... so keep thumbing that Epic.

This is me driving. The first 3:15 are all backhands, after that is forehand drives.

http://www.youtube.com/user/seabas22#play/all/uploads-all/0/tpc6DcPQptg

Your form looks good. The first throw looks like you were tilting your lead shoulder up a little too much but all the others looked flat. Only critique I would have is that it looks like you are not getting enough torque out of your upper body/core. You are getting good reach back with your X-step but not turning all that much. Your FH looks good.

Thanks Neo, I'm having trouble getting my hips to lead my BH. I've modified my a few things on BH since that video, but Im still working on it.

I put up the link so people could see my FH. The slow motion really shows my hips leading my FH throw.

Did you play the Iron Hill Challenge? I was going to play, but hit the snooze too many times. DOH!

I watched the vid and after going out on the course to compare my form, the only thing I can come up with is follow through. You seem to plant your front foot and don't let it pivot, but instead use your other leg to stop your body from rotating with the disc. You are leading well, but you are stopping your potential by not following through. I end up pivoting on my left leg and my back leg will often end up right next to it when I finish, standing with my shoulders square to the basket.

It's slightly different than what I said before, but I was in an office and couldn't see myself throwing :(

Latest posts