• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check/update

Slow down! Do it slow motion with and extend your thumb as far forward as you can/not turning around/followthru, head of hammer should be going upward somewhat so thumb is somewhat below the handle/leveraging. You can even do the windmill to followthru without opening the shoulders. You are trying to turn around and whip too hard and getting too much slack in your body/arm/string. Your arm/hammer is turning over sideways thru your extension/hit and your shoulders are already open when you start extending the elbow, so your real whip should be to the right through your fence. On one of those you stop/double clutch in the middle of your backswing and get static, should be a continuous dynamic flow of momentum from backswing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Yeah you're kind of bracing your sternum or right collarbone on the leg. I would really recommend doing as SW suggests and addressing the target fully on the front leg. It will feel crazy far forward, like you're just standing there and almost ridiculous. This is how far forward you have to let yourself be, with your shoulder and arm out ahead. I've even started lining up my putts like this, it's very effective. It feels so forward and casual/not "strong" but it works.

Another drill to try is the one where SW hops up and down on the right leg, landing while in the backswing, then swings the arm/hammer forward. I know he has a gif of it somewhere. But it forces you to be aligned on the right leg since you are hopping up and down. The swing will be delayed since you have to absorb the landing first...but it's a good way to MAKE sure you're on the right leg, or else landing from a hop will feel very bad/weird.

Yeah when he suggested to pre-swing all the way through, I think I misinterpreted that as a practice swing. I've also seen SW say to bring the shoulder forward, so I may play with that too.

Slow down! Do it slow motion with and extend your thumb as far forward as you can/not turning around/followthru, head of hammer should be going upward somewhat so thumb is somewhat below the handle/leveraging. You can even do the windmill to followthru without opening the shoulders. You are trying to turn around and whip too hard and getting too much slack in your body/arm/string. Your arm/hammer is turning over sideways thru your extension/hit and your shoulders are already open when you start extending the elbow, so your real whip should be to the right through your fence. On one of those you stop/double clutch in the middle of your backswing and get static, should be a continuous dynamic flow of momentum from backswing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Thanks. I noticed the arm turning over also. Going to try to make it smoother and more perpetual.

Yeah when he suggested to pre-swing all the way through, I think I misinterpreted that as a practice swing. I've also seen SW say to bring the shoulder forward, so I may play with that too.

Getting into that address position is how I first could feel an outward arc when holding a disc...even just standing there you can kind of feel it with a forward shoulder and extended arm. Lots of pro's address their shot this way...it's just kind of natural once you've felt the hit point.

Tried out some shots today with the forward pump/pendulum style. Ehh. So many issues. Not sure where to go from here.

Your leg kick/stride is way outside to the left or trying shifting from in front of you. If your rear foot is perpendicular, then you should be kicking the can or ball slightly inside to your right. If you turn the rear foot further back some, then you should be kicking it straight down the trajectory while striding from the inside and able to shift from behind you.

Howdy folks, been a while.

Been thinking over the past few days about the pendulum swing and giving the disc its own momentum, then bracing against that momentum going forward. I think it shows some promise although I see several things that, of course, still need work. I see some upper arm collapsing and I bet I could stride more laterally, for starters. And overall just keep it slower and smoother as I work this in.

All in all though, I think this is an improvement over my previous video from last April.

WARNING HEADPHONE USERS - EXCESSIVE WIND NOISE

Looks close, but not trusting to shift fully from behind into front heel and both feet spin out. Note how your right shoulder swings or pulls to the sky and never swings forward of front hip because you are landing behind your leg and early extending on it.

You land crouched on your left leg and then you hop/extend or rise and then fall again into the plant. When you land on the left leg you shouldn't rise again, you should be at your highest point and falling leveraged forward into the plant. The hop happens from the right/front leg to get over the left/rear leg.

Note how Ken kind of just hops over the rear leg and falls into the plant and keeps swinging shoulder further back later, and swings front shoulder forward of front hip.

Looks like you would pulling the door frame with your shoulders, instead of your hips/butt/weight into the plant with the door frame pulling the shoulders further back into the plant.

Looks close

:D

You land crouched on your left leg and then you hop/extend or rise and then fall again into the plant. When you land on the left leg you shouldn't rise again, you should be at your highest point and falling leveraged forward into the plant. The hop happens from the right/front leg to get over the left/rear leg.

Note how Ken kind of just hops over the rear leg and falls into the plant and keeps swinging shoulder further back later, and swings front shoulder forward of front hip.

Yeah I totally agree about the crouch and adding a proper hop. And I could watch Ken Jarvis throw discs for days...Thanks for all you do.

Figuring out how to use the left leg to leverage the backswing (shift from behind ) will fix a lot of your issues. If you plant the left foot with the intention of using that leg as leverage, you will automatically plant firm instead of soft/crouching.

Figuring out how to use the left leg to leverage the backswing (shift from behind ) will fix a lot of your issues. If you plant the left foot with the intention of using that leg as leverage, you will automatically plant firm instead of soft/crouching.

Nice, thanks. I agree. Just tossing a few tonight at dusk while trying to stay taller/more upright until the plant felt good. But I do need to think of it more as bracing against the disc's momentum in the backswing. So far so good though compared to my old toe-draggy way of strong arming. - more vids soon!

Howdy folks. Hope all are well and healthy.

Here's about where I'm at right now. Need a tune up. Some things are wonky, quarantine-stache notwithstanding.

Just trying things here. First two are pendulum style, trying to swim the freestyle, not the butterfly.

Third is trying the unfolding backswing.

Your first motion is butterfly. Rear arm should never move away from target, but anchor in forward place to leverage everything else forward.

attachment.php

The shift between these two images is what I'm picturing, where the torso is leaning more forward in the first image, and in the second image the lower body has shifted forward underneath while torso is leaning away from target and is balanced over the top of the rear leg at landing. Is that what you're getting at?

Also this weird video to show it in motion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.39.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.39.26 PM.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 81
Hello all, been a while. Hope everyone is well! Haven't been playing much due to trying to finish my EE degree. Just wanted to post a sample of something I've played around with the past couple rounds. I certainly see some issues - horrendous farmer's tan notwithstanding.