• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check/update

Alright, thanks to parbecue's recent videos in his thread and revisiting Drk's rocking the hips thread, I've been inspired to rock the hips. Also, a really simple mental cue from one of HUB's recent videos perhaps helped me try this: "move the belt buckle targetward." Of course SW has brought this up countless times with the Mike Maves navel concept. OK, thanks for bearing with the acknowledgements.

Trying to rock the hips. The pendulum swing really helps the feeling and rhythm, IMO. The idea in this video is: hips go back and forth, feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, crush the can, it's bring the disc into center chest time! (then.....boom?)

Follow through or lack thereof looks funky after the hit point as I'm indoors, but just wanted to post this and see if this path is worth pursuing. Cheers to all.

Make your shoulder swing longer back and forth. Heavy swing balanced/braced on either foot back and forth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m57s

HMR8OGD.png

Old habits die hard. Trying to rock the hips but I'm still stuck on the rear foot/leg. I see many, many issues here such as turning back too early, trying to shift from in front (if at all), etc etc etc. Mainly looking for guidance on what to drill next or first. I truly believe getting a foundation on the front side should be my number one goal.

OLD

Standstill (WARNING LOUD NOISES)

Xstep

OK, so, re-reading through ParBQ's thread: the hips go forward in the backswing, not back and up! I was trying to rock the hips backwards in the backswing, not leverage them forward.
This makes the swivel chair drill make so much more sense. Also I think it may be easier to get the feel for this using a one-step, and not a standstill?

Probably not close, but trying:

Kind of.

Stride front foot/knee further and open your front foot.

Drop your shoulder down low.

Raise your elbow up high.

Howdy frens, been a while. Been throwing the disc a little better these days but could use another set of eyes on a couple of things. The glaring issue to me is catpured in the screenshot - not loving where the disc is going in the transition. Not sure if I need to turn the hip into the backswing more or what.

Video is a DX roc on slight hyzer to 325' or so, for reference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.17.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.17.48 PM.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7
Yeah your rear leg looks locked up, need to turn rear hip back and hinge - Swivel Stairs. Also looks rough on the front leg, like your hinge point is on the ankle instead of hip/femur. Not sure your lat is really engaged to stabilize the shoulder and get the heavy swing/pump.

You want your shoulder to swing forward over the knee(battering ram / shoveling), your shoulder gets stuck behind the knee and your hip spins out. When you let go of door frame your shoulder should drop lower following your center of gravity/heel dropping into the plant. Your shoulder is rising from the start of your throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t=4m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 8.58.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 8.58.19 PM.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
Yeah your rear leg looks locked up, need to turn rear hip back and hinge - Swivel Stairs. Also looks rough on the front leg, like your hinge point is on the ankle instead of hip/femur. Not sure your lat is really engaged to stabilize the shoulder and get the heavy swing/pump.

You want your shoulder to swing forward over the knee(battering ram / shoveling), your shoulder gets stuck behind the knee and your hip spins out. When you let go of door frame your shoulder should drop lower following your center of gravity/heel dropping into the plant. Your shoulder is rising from the start of your throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t=4m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s

attachment.php

I think I need more tilted super spiral

So I came across this gem from SW in another form thread regarding the forehand:

"Clench your finger/s in toward your palm to make the disc pivot."

I was in the backyard earlier with a buddy drinking beers and playing putting games and figured I'd give it a go. Holy crap these aviars were kinda shooting out of my hand and slowly flipping to flat before they hit my fence, with just a little finger clench. Pretty cool stuff so I figured I'd snap a quick vidya. I know the video angle is crap but if y'all see anything lemme know. I've never really had a FH for the 6+ yrs I've been playing save a <100ft chip up. I played third base in high school so this has always kinda befuddled me - even just a 250ft or so serviceable FH would be amazing. Anyways here's a KC aviar:

Need to post up on front leg and counter kick rear leg behind. Your front knee(body) leaks forward/right and hips spin out.

attachment.php

7NTpTEn.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 12.59.44 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 12.59.44 AM copy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 64
Back to backhand: some discoveries/questions.

I've recently incorporated what I'd call the Mike Maves "turn the navel into the rear foot" in the backswing. I've messed with this before and I think I was sequencing it incorrectly - I was using that belly-button-away-from-target move to initiate the backswing.

What I recently have been trying, and so far the results are great, is to delay that navel/hip cocking turn/"the move"(?) almost until I'm at the top of the backswing and ready to plant. Feel ain't real and I don't have film yet but it feels like in delaying this move, I'm kind of creating the "reach back" extension and deeper shoulder turn at peak backswing with this move, and it makes it much easier to deweight the rear leg and plant with more weight/force. It seems easier to feel and more repeatable with a pendulum swing. Im delaying that move until pretty much the bottom of the pendulum, when disc is passing over my rear toes in the backswing.

I know this is wordy, it's a bit hard to describe. It happens fluidly/dynamically/quickly in real time, but the backswing now feels like a two part move coming out of the x step: start the pendulum back, then cock the hips back into the plant, then boom. It's not a big move but boy does it seem important.

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else! Is this the path to shifting from behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super important move - I've taken a "chunking approach to my swing and I've been working on perfecting this for a few weeks. I think Power of Posture is the best content we have on this, at 4:31 he talks about loading his head into his rear foot and letting the hammer swing back. I was struggling with this for a while then realized that my grip/shoulder orientation was messed up. Really need to get your grip dialed, wrist orientation ( locked down in ulner deviation) dialed, and keep your arm loose, but once you get that right, it all works together like magic.

Howdy strangers, been a minute. Getting back into playing a bit and I need some WORK. Things are in flux a bit, from bad to marginally less bad, but this is more or less where I'm at. I may go back to the pendulum for a bit and try to feel that tilted spiral.

Howdy fellas, been a minute (exactly a year to the day actually). I'm getting back into playing now that we have more daylight and weather is a bit nicer - I'm also nearing the end of a linear progression strength/barbell program so I'm cutting that down to two workouts/week + a day of golf/throwing/walking/touching grass/whatever. Below are a couple throws of my current form. My sole focus in this session was to load my lead shoulder into my rear foot in the backswing. I see a lot I don't like. I'd appreciate any guidance on the one priority I should work on in the form of drills/cues/etc.

View attachment Sonic 04052023.mov
Sonic

View attachment Eagle 04052023.mov
Fairway Driver

View attachment Whip Step 04052023.mov
Bonus whip step drill attempt (cool video BTW @sidewinder22)

That looks better to me.

Just a general point and SW might take you elsewhere to work on it specifically: I'm not sure you're ever fully balanced on the rear leg before you transition forward. Fundamental balance issue: overall your move lacks a lot of the "North-South" balanced tilt I mention in the post here. Whole body needs to shift back and forth with this tilt to allow your mechanics to align better. I'm becoming a believer that no time spent reinforcing this is wasted.

Can work on it in:
-Reverse Stride
-Double Dragon/Can Can/Kick the Ball
-Turbo Encabulator

This is the front shoulder shunting "up" toward the sky as a compensation rather than being in balanced tilt like some of the examples in that thread. The leading shoulder will be higher relative to the ground than the rear shoulder, but that's because of the way the entire balance of the move works going foot to foot. I think generally people tend to have a hard time detecting the difference before they work hard on the North-South direction of the tilt in the big drill moves so I'm seeing if it sparks any inspiration for you.

Notice your shoulder line at odds with your pelvis compared to Paul. I think your balance is somewhere trapped behind your plant foot to compensate as you enter the release whereas Paul is fully balanced in the tilt across his whole body (rightmost image). He has the North-South part of the tilted balance going into backswing and swing in his move.

1712687958588.png

Attachments

• 1712687487001.png
    1712687487001.png
    5 MB · Views: 1
That looks better to me.

Just a general point and SW might take you elsewhere to work on it specifically: I'm not sure you're ever fully balanced on the rear leg before you transition forward. Fundamental balance issue: overall your move lacks a lot of the "North-South" balanced tilt I mention in the post here. Whole body needs to shift back and forth with this tilt to allow your mechanics to align better. I'm becoming a believer that no time spent reinforcing this is wasted.

Can work on it in:
-Reverse Stride
-Double Dragon/Can Can/Kick the Ball
-Turbo Encabulator

This is the front shoulder shunting "up" toward the sky as a compensation rather than being in balanced tilt like some of the examples in that thread. The leading shoulder will be higher relative to the ground than the rear shoulder, but that's because of the way the entire balance of the move works going foot to foot. I think generally people tend to have a hard time detecting the difference before they work hard on the North-South direction of the tilt in the big drill moves so I'm seeing if it sparks any inspiration for you.

Notice your shoulder line at odds with your pelvis compared to Paul. I think your balance is somewhere trapped behind your plant foot to compensate as you enter the release whereas Paul is fully balanced in the tilt across his whole body (rightmost image). He has the North-South part of the tilted balance going into backswing and swing in his move.

View attachment 337109
I'd tend to agree with the overall analysis. I've recently been thinking about the tilted spiral vs my previous notions of shoulder turn - which I think I modeled as more of a rotation orthogonal to the spine, or maybe parallel to the ground. Anthropometry probably don't work like that tho.
I think emphasizing this as a 'swing' is helpful in breaking the mind barriers.