• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustrated

Nihilist

Been playing almost 2 years now and I've been trying to work on things to increase my backhand distance and I'm getting discouraged. I'm throwing from a standstill only now, since when I add footwork I get all out of whack, and I'm maxing my putters out a little over 200' max distance golf shot, mids to about 230-240.

I'd like to bump these numbers up. I've been a short backhand thrower for a long time and I am willing to put the field work in to fix this, however my camera is currently inoperable so videoing is out for now.

Any guidance would be great. I've been doing research entirely too much these past 2 years and I think I'm getting over analytical. Help me keep it simple!

Thanks guys, feeling pretty down...

usually the first problem is throwing nose up. work on your hand flexibility and your grip. practice making easy throws with the nose down and a good grip.

second problem is weight shift. after you get the nose down, make throws from a stand still while focusing on shifting your weight from left leg to right leg.

lastly learn the Masterbeato right peck drill.

Getting over analytical can be hard until you're at a certain point where that is potentially necessary. Right now focus on "feel" with a lot of the advice. All of the "elbow position, shoulder pause" etc. stuff is pretty high level, and to be honest putting your body in the positions that the pictures show isn't the full story. When things flow and feel right, you can analyze your body and it's in those positions naturally. Putting your body through those positions doesn't necessarily mean your momentum transfer/timing is going to be correct at those points as well.

Above advice of relax/smooth is correct, make sure your tricep or arm in general are not tired after a session, so you know you aren't strong arming. The other thing is, as mentioned, make sure grip and nose angles are correct. Those two things will kill accuracy and severely cap your distance potential of not right.

Getting over analytical can be hard until you're at a certain point where that is potentially necessary. Right now focus on "feel" with a lot of the advice. All of the "elbow position, shoulder pause" etc. stuff is pretty high level, and to be honest putting your body in the positions that the pictures show isn't the full story. When things flow and feel right, you can analyze your body and it's in those positions naturally. Putting your body through those positions doesn't necessarily mean your momentum transfer/timing is going to be correct at those points as well.

Above advice of relax/smooth is correct, make sure your tricep or arm in general are not tired after a session, so you know you aren't strong arming. The other thing is, as mentioned, make sure grip and nose angles are correct. Those two things will kill accuracy and severely cap your distance potential of not right.

I have thrown the past two days in a row and I have some very minor soreness in my right shoulder and side (I throw RHBH). Does this mean I am doing something wrong? (I too throw my mids around 240).

I have thrown the past two days in a row and I have some very minor soreness in my right shoulder and side (I throw RHBH). Does this mean I am doing something wrong? (I too throw my mids around 240).

Stretch! Stretch! Stretch!
http://mindbodydisc.com/worst-kind-snap-disc-golf/

Soreness is going to be a part of using muscles that you're unaccustomed to using, and typically not something to worry about unless it is sharp or super localized.

I think it's also very important to balance your dg routines with basic strength training so you avoid over-developing muscles on just your right side. I'm 39 - and I don't bounce back like I did 20 years ago - so having a basic workout helps me avoid as many neck problems.

My routine is super basic: pushups, situps, planks (side and front), shoulder raises (dumb-bells) front/side/middle. I still have overdeveloped my right side, but not as badly as it would be without the workouts.

Yeah I think shoulder soreness can be typical of just ripping drives and not being used to it or stretching.

What I was referring to with tricep and pec soreness, is what used to happen to me when I was strong-arming. Like if you were to go to a locked door and do your reachback position (left foot at the door, so "driving" away from it)...and grab the doorknob at your reachback. If you try to pull the door open, you'll feel your pec and tricep get way too tense. This is what happens when you strong arm the throws, you try to pull at the reachback and those muscles get sore.

Work on smoothing out your footwork. Focus on staying balanced. The point of footwork is getting the hips rotated and help with timing, not adding speed to the throw. Instead of copying other people's x-steps or runups, do what feels good for you.

I've been trying to work on things to increase my backhand distance

I'm throwing from a standstill only now, since when I add footwork I get all out of whack

These two statements contradict each other.

If you want to have your full distance potentil, you'll need a runup. If you dont have the feeling for it yet, even more reason to practice it!

These two statements contradict each other.

If you want to have your full distance potentil, you'll need a runup. If you dont have the feeling for it yet, even more reason to practice it!

At those distances though, you can have 80'+ from standstill by just having better timing, with less effort and better aim than depending on a runup. If I had the choice between throwing 300' mid shots with an X-step and throwing hard, or standstill with snap, I definitely choose standstill and snap.

Agreed though, full distance potential will need the runup/X-step once the flow of the throw itself is worked out.

Nice! I am reading this website right now. My brother and I always warm up and stretch before throwing whereas most people seem to just go up and tee off cold. Putting practice can also be lumped into this routine.

If you want to throw far you have to warm up!

However I wanted to quote this paragraph I just read because it made me chuckle:

"The lake just ate my 18x limited run flat top opaque pearl gummy signed retooled high plh tournament stamped 1/250 (insert disc name here) that was molded on the southern side of the Andes in a mold crafted by a blind sword maker and transported directly to me by a 3 legged virgin llama named Steve. I loved that disc, I've tried everything and can't find a replacement, help!"

:thmbup:

Nihilist, there's one thing I think alot of people forget or don't realize. Throwing far requires two things, technique (form, mechanics, timing, etc.) and arm speed (fast twitch muscles, not bulk). Some people have more fast twitch muscles than others, which is why some people start off being able to throw 300' from the beginning, and others take years to pass that distance. As far as the best way to build your fast twitch muscles (other than playing disc golf), you'd have to ask someone more experienced in kinesiology/sports medicine. I don't know, maybe think like Bruce Lee? :)

Latest posts