• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funny/Good Analogies for throwing a Disc

Grip N Rip

Par Member
I'm sure we all have had a friend that just didn't understand how to let a disc fly. Instead of getting all technical with the terms I usually just relate the act of throwing to something else.

For example my one friend played hockey for many years. The hole after I told him that throwing a disc golf disc is like a hockey shot he almost aced a short hole. Now throwing a disc is NOTHING like a hockey shot but it made him remember that you rotate off your hips while keeping you're upper body stiff but not locked.

other analogies I have used:

It's like pulling the cord on a lawnmower

Imagine you are b!tch slapping someone with all your might

...I forgot the rest of them I had a few good ones. Maybe I'll remember later.

...analogies....

I've always tried to compare the snap of the wrist at the end of the throw to snapping a wet towel like you used to do after gym class in junior high....

I have heard the wrist snap described as a reverse fast ball motion.

"Rip the nips" I've heard that for bringing the disc across you chest.
And it's kind of already been said, but "Slap a midget" for keeping the nose down.

follow through = smackin a midget

disc golf and sex - 2 things you dont have to be good at to enjoy
even if it dont work, practice is well worth the effort

disc selection is just like golf club selection - till you start throwing overhands...

man, i had so many in my head b4 i started typing.... I"ll be back...

i like the hockey analogy, i might use that for FH.

throwing RHBH is like batting left handed in baseball, and its also like driving a golf ball, with less of an arc

I tell people to think of baseball throwing for overhands.

for putting-I like the shake hands with the pole
also-Throw it to your friend. pretend the basket is your bud waiting to catch a frisbee. calms you down and makes you throw straight at the basket. (hopefully)

and of course you can't go wrong with grip it n rip it.

well okay. yes absolutely you can.

I tell people to think of baseball throwing for overhands.

for putting-I like the shake hands with the pole
also-Throw it to your friend. pretend the basket is your bud waiting to catch a frisbee. calms you down and makes you throw straight at the basket. (hopefully)

and of course you can't go wrong with grip it n rip it.

well okay. yes absolutely you can.

haha I still go wrong when I just rip recklessly

it's not so much of an analogy for how to play, but disc golf is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to have a good time and practice is always fun.

I've heard the release for the turbo-putt compared to the release when you're throwing a football.

If this were the case I would constantly be missing people's hands.

lol

For forehand I was telling my newbie cousin to position his forearm and wrist so that it's like he's a waiter carrying a tray.

For turbo putting I told him it's like he's serving drinks at a crowded party.

The lawnmower analogy is good but I find that less and less people have experience with the pull-cord push mowers, lol.

Me: "It's like starting a lawnmower"
Newb: *Puts thumb and forefinger together and turns imaginary ignition*

I use the towel snap when teaching disc golf to my elementary school kids, but I like the hand shaking cue. I am stealing that one from you (sidewinding)