• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Game on with Archon

Archon, is it too much overlap with a Valkyrie?

I just got a Star 172 grams and Champion at 172 to be in same plastic as my 2 Valkyrie. I was testing the discs and my two Archon discs are flatter side, yet they were getting the same or a few feet as a Valkyrie discs but then the Archon Champion plastic was a tad slick/stiff and wind was up for tail wind so the Valkyrie could have been pushed by wind alone. I will test again on a no/low wind day to see if the Archon disc makes the bag. I had to do the hot water to the Champion twice with water heated to 30 seconds or so over the mold just to give grip the Champion disc, just enough grip now to use the mold as it was slipping out of the hand early in the throw also lost a little of its stiff. The star came in just right in plastic Stiff but has some flex with the average grip and it the disc of the two with the correct glide to the numbers.

Archon experts, I'm looking for a flippy Archon right off the shelf. Figure I'd try GStar in a lower weight.

Domey or flat on these are the flippier ones?

Archon experts, I'm looking for a flippy Archon right off the shelf. Figure I'd try GStar in a lower weight.

Domey or flat on these are the flippier ones?

With Star the ones with good glide have dome, the mold is a 4 in glide but the Champion Stay away from, the Champion version is crap and will have a 2-3 glide at best for any of the discs period with some Champion Archon lower then 2.

The G Star I have not used but the dome I would think would want to be like a Star Higher for the better glide but not too high or you have a disc that takes too much power/speed to get the full glide almost like trying to get the beefiest Wraith in Champion that was not a dud/mistake run but made that way on purpose for say Ken Climo or other top Innova sponsored Pros that used the Wraith in the 2000's.

With Star the ones with good glide have dome, the mold is a 4 in glide but the Champion Stay away from, the Champion version is crap and will have a 2-3 glide at best for any of the discs period with some Champion Archon lower then 2.

The G Star I have not used but the dome I would think would want to be like a Star Higher for the better glide but not too high or you have a disc that takes too much power/speed to get the full glide almost like trying to get the beefiest Wraith in Champion that was not a dud/mistake run but made that way on purpose for say Ken Climo or other top Innova sponsored Pros that used the Wraith in the 2000's.

I ended up buying a 166g GStar. It came yesterday and it's bizarre - super flat, and super high PLH. You can tell just by looking at it, and sitting it flat next to my other Archons it's even more clear. Haven't thrown it yet but I anticipate it will be pretty stable, which is not what I was looking for.

I figure even if Archons don't work out in my S shot distance slot, it will have been worth a go. I will likely fall back on thrashers, and roll with a cycle of Wraiths for the stable side.

I like the idea of Archons because they have that Wraith bottom and a deeper rim. We shall see!

I ended up buying a 166g GStar. It came yesterday and it's bizarre - super flat, and super high PLH. You can tell just by looking at it, and sitting it flat next to my other Archons it's even more clear. Haven't thrown it yet but I anticipate it will be pretty stable, which is not what I was looking for.

I figure even if Archons don't work out in my S shot distance slot, it will have been worth a go. I will likely fall back on thrashers, and roll with a cycle of Wraiths for the stable side.

I like the idea of Archons because they have that Wraith bottom and a deeper rim. We shall see!

I have a buddy that prefers Archons, but has been known to slide a Vanish into his Archon slot when he doesn't have one in his preferred stability. Vanish is more consistently understable from run to run.

Also, although I've never thrown Archons, I have bagged Wraiths and the Vanish feels pretty similar in the hand to Wraiths. A little more shallow and obviously a lower PLH, but close enough that I would heartily recommend a Vanish as an understable bookend to a Wraith cycle. Just my two cents in case your Archons don't work out.

They have the Valkyrie bottom rim/wing all 3 do but the making the rim 11 speed and same depth as a Valkyrie ended up with the Wraith and same for the Destroyer, why so many people love those discs is the comfortable Valkyrie rim/wing at least for 90% of the good Destroyer is the most common Valkyrie wing.

I had one in Champion the top came flat to mid wing on top then dome, it has the least glide of any driver and so much to the point I changed on the disc should I sell it the glide from 5 which none of Archon have but to a just barely speed 2 from the glide of 3-4 the disc normally has from what others agree on. I tried some boiling water and stuff to fix the issue and all it did was change the disc from too stiff legally where middle would not bend to within PDGA parameters.

Last edited:
They have the Valkyrie bottom rim/wing all 3 do but the making the rim 11 speed and same depth as a Valkyrie ended up with the Wraith and same for the Destroyer, why so many people love those discs is the comfortable Valkyrie rim/wing at least for 90% of the good Destroyer is the most common Valkyrie wing.

I had one in Champion the top came flat to mid wing on top then dome, it has the least glide of any driver and so much to the point I changed on the disc should I sell it the glide from 5 which none of Archon have but to a just barely speed 2 from the glide of 3-4 the disc normally has from what others agree on. I tried some boiling water and stuff to fix the issue and all it did was change the disc from too stiff legally where middle would not bend to within PDGA parameters.

Casey, you OK bud?

Casey, you OK bud?

Yep Fine, just stating that Champion in the Stiff Champion often called Jolly Launcher has been run too stiff in some discs since mid 2010's and with more frequency lately. That disc was from 2020 at least that was when I bought my Champion Archon from Gotta Go Gotta throw. No I am not joking about how the disc molded, that is how it was molded and was stiffer then stiff. I tried to bend the disc enough to hit specs the way the PDGA person tests discs but nope that could not happen as the disc was too stiff in the center after wing to even bend.

Last edited:
Yep Fine, just stating that Champion in the Stiff Champion often called Jolly Launcher has been run too stiff in some discs since mid 2010's and with more frequency lately. That disc was from 2020 at least that was when I bought my Champion Archon from Gotta Go Gotta throw. No I am not joking about how the disc molded, that is how it was molded and was stiffer then stiff. I tried to bend the disc enough to hit specs the way the PDGA person tests discs but nope that could not happen as the disc was too stiff in the center after wing to even bend.
Anybody else miss Casey 1988?
Hope he is well...

He probably got sick of us pea brains being unable to comprehend his limitless depth of Innova mold/plastic/whatever discs his near-relatives used to bag knowledge.

I do get a kick reading through old threads and seeing his posts. There really is some neat trivia buried in there and occasional bits of useful information

Latest posts