• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Discs

gkeberhart

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I know there are probably more Gateway throwers out there than most of us ever see, but I would just like to give a lot of credit to Dave McCormack for his work with the company. I just started throwing a lot of their plastic in the last few months, and every time I have questions or need more discs, he is the one to respond. I hope all of you have had the same experiences.

My question is when you guys buy your Gateway discs, where do you go? I ALWAYS go to Dave and he has gotten me the best prices so far. I bought 10 discs at one point from him for $70 (all premium and that included shipping and a free disc to go as well) and my most recent was 3 discs for $30 (all HPP and Shipped for that price)

Im not a big fan of Nikko but Gateway in my mind is really one for the companies that tries to develop a better relationship with its customers than others.

Im not a big fan of Nikko but Gateway in my mind is really one for the companies that tries to develop a better relationship with its customers than others.

....I like the way Nikko approaches the game of disc golf. He's quite a character too.

why did anything have to be said about nikko.

I thought this thread was about gateway plastic.

Now there is going to be 4 pages of post with nikkos name in them when it should be solely aobut gateways discs.

I have been throwing Magics ever since Gateway came out with the first Organics.
I have also thrown Elements and Wizards.
I have contacted Dave by email a few times and he has always come back with reasoned, thoughtful responses.
As far as Nikko goes, he's Dave's nephew, so he is a representative of the organization. Personally, I don't care what he throws. He'd still be the way he is if he threw Innova or Discraft (assuming he didn't get kicked off for being the way he is, of course).

Luckily for me, Scheels in Iowa city stocks a small amount of Gateway even in the winter. Because of that store is why I fell in love with Gateway. I've never phoned up Dave like you, but maybe I should, I have always heard of what a great guy he is. Nothing but compliments.

Luckily for me, Scheels in Iowa city stocks a small amount of Gateway even in the winter. Because of that store is why I fell in love with Gateway. I've never phoned up Dave like you, but maybe I should, I have always heard of what a great guy he is. Nothing but compliments.
I hope they price their discs better than the one in West Des Moines. I saw an S Element priced at $20 once and a kinda damaged DX Gazelle priced at $23.

I hope they price their discs better than the one in West Des Moines. I saw an S Element priced at $20 once and a kinda damaged DX Gazelle priced at $23.

even with shipping fees it would be cheaper to buy it online

I saw a Evo Blurr for 11 dollars last time I was there, Putters were around 10 bucks. An evo Assassin was like 16 dollars. Prices are decent on Gateway, however they wanted around 18 for an esp flx buzz when I can get one in Ottumwa's drugtown for 12 without our team discount ;)

I use Gateway putters and tyr to buy them from local retain shops. I have gotten a few from online sources, but I like to hold discs before I buy them. Plus I want the small local guys to survive and be there to help me in the future. I will pay a little more to get it from a small local guy.

You have to keep in mind that Gateway has no bearing on the price that the retailer is selling it for. Each retailer controls the amount of markup for the discs. I assure you, if they were charging that amount of money for the disc...they are trying to extort you. I know what the Gateway discs costs wholesale and that is REALLY steep.

Dave is always extremely accessible to anyone who has questions...and I have found our conversations to be quite engaging. He has a real passion for pushing the sport forward in this country. I think he produces a GREAT product all around. Good night...if you have thrown at a Gateway Titan, you will probably agree with me. I also really enjoy playing courses that he has designed...

I live Like 25 minutes from the Gateway Shop. Dave always gives awesome prices. Every time I go into the store I end up with 3 or more discs for like 15-20 bucks, a couple free minis and stickers and stuff also.

I haven't tried anything gateway other than my Wizards, but I have a trip to St. Louis planned in the spring and I should make it to the Gateway store to see if anything catches my eye.

I got an Apache HPP and it has become one of my favorite drivers. Flies similar to my champ viking, but with better grip.

Gateway Direct...their ebay store has some pretty cool deals. They always throw in a free disc when you pay with paypal within like a day of purchasing an auction. I have also been in their store in St Louis and it is another way to pick up some killer deals on X Outs and misprints.

Just got my Warrior. Thing is huge!

Well, not Jaguar huge but definately bigger diameter disc, but it feels pretty good.

You have to keep in mind that Gateway has no bearing on the price that the retailer is selling it for. Each retailer controls the amount of markup for the discs. I assure you, if they were charging that amount of money for the disc...they are trying to extort you. I know what the Gateway discs costs wholesale and that is REALLY steep.

It isn't the retailer. Kids come in and swap the stickers from the premiums and premium dyes with DX discs to get them cheaper, leaving a ton of DX discs with expensive price tags. Because of that they now write the price of the disc on it in sharpie. :doh: Their prices are typically a little steep, but they aren't that outrageous.

I get my Gateway stuff either online or from this pet store in Sanford. I've never thrown a Gateway disc I didn't like, but I've never fallen in love with any of them either, save for the putters. I love my Warlocks and my Magic, still need to pick up a VooDoo one of these days.

FTR: I like Nikko, kid plays hard, I like dudes with a little swagger.

If you havent tried gateway, you really should. I use the illusion, apache, magic, and voodoo every round. I have 13 gateway putters and 14 drivers that get rotated in and out of my bag/practice. Dave is easy to work with and always hooks me up.

Get some gateway stuff and you will be back for more.

Latest posts