• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting close...

I'm fond of two approach putters as well.

I use my Wedge for anything 80ft to where I can't reach With a Jump Putt.Then I use My Opto Pures for anything outside of that.

As much as I like both discs, I just do better when I don't have to make a choice. Since I'm putting with Wizards anyway, it makes the most sense to keep the feel consistent.

I put a new Z Wasp in my bag tonight, because I friggin ACED with my current one so it's being retired! Hole 16 at Fitzgerald Park.

I have a suggestion for stuff to eat during the round. I usually bring some granola bars or trailmix(unsalted with no meltable stuff like cocolate) and apples. Eating protien is also good. I also bring dried fruit like pinapples occasionally. It is better to eat smaller portions throughout the day than eating larger less frequent meals. During lunch, eat something with a good amount of protien. Also stay hydrated.

I think it's really important to have just ONE approach disc.

Lately I've been using my Buzzz for approach shots (heck, I'm playing most of my last couple of rounds w/the Buzzzes and a putter), but I also really like my Neutron Ion for some of those same approach shots. I'm currently testing 2 Classic Judges for putting, so the Ion is out of the bag at the moment, but I anticipate bringing it back in for approaches

I have a suggestion for stuff to eat during the round... Also stay hydrated.

Thanks man! I've been doing a lot better with it in just my normal days: breakfast every day, apples and carrots between meals, maybe with some peanut butter. I've been making spicy pan fried tofu & veggie pitas for tournament lunches - tons of protein and slow burning carbs from the veggies, plus none of that lead gut feeling ya get from fastfood. Almonds and dried fruit during the round, usually a "hole 9 snack" to carry me through the end. I haven't been doing well at tournaments, but that's mostly a putting slump and adjusting back to having mids at my disposal.

Lately I've been using my Buzzz for approach shots (heck, I'm playing most of my last couple of rounds w/the Buzzzes and a putter), but I also really like my Neutron Ion for some of those same approach shots. I'm currently testing 2 Classic Judges for putting, so the Ion is out of the bag at the moment, but I anticipate bringing it back in for approaches

The Buzzz is very manipulable, but requires some intentional wrist roll and extra spin to get, say, dead straight lines with less than 100' of power. It's kind of a "backhand flick" sort of throw. It was my approach disc of choice for a long time as well and I can't recommend enough moving to the Ion for approaches under 100'. As you get comfortable there, range that out to 150, then 200 or more. Past 240' is where I start reaching for my Buzzzes these days.

The Judge would work just as well for those approach shots and give you a consistent feel from putting to approach. Good luck!

Things are mostly the same, but I was at a shop this weekend and picked up a couple Leopards. Pro 175 and Star 166. I've only ever thrown a leo a few times over the years. My first throw with my star one (hole 2 Hudson Mills original, long tees) went about 340' and 80' right of the pin. Real nice flight. I've mostly played around with the Pro one since. It has a sweet dye and feels just like star plastic. I have one River in my bag still for turnovers, since the Leos need some juice to get turning.

I am also considering going back to Teebirds. I love the CFDs, but I find myself wanting that Teebird late fade. Something to experiment with next week. Thankfully, I saved my four favorite Teebirds, plus the new champ ones feel awesome.

I had some funny money to spend yesterday, picked up a couple flat top Rocs, because they felt nice in my hand. Then me an' some buds went out for a ill-advised post-tournament buzzed-and-dehydrated round. My brain was having contractions and my legs barely worked, but I was pulling this disc smooth off the tee, getting a pretty easy 280 or so.

It's right dead matched with my 10y Buzzz in stability, prob a bit more HSS right now but no where near the propensity for fade as my Wasp. I had a ton of fun parking holes with it, and just generally throwing dead-straight lines and perfectly stable hyzers. No turn, no pressing desire to fade.

Q: The thing is, I've never used a lot of DX plastic... so - what do I get if I really really like this disc, but want to use it confidently in the woods?

I played in a tournament yesterday at two very different courses at Burchfield Park. The things in my bag that were working very well were:

Putters. If I miss it's not the disc's fault. I did add a couple strokes airballing a 20 footer, but that's because I didn't concentrate, or choose to lay up because it was a deathputt.

Mids: All great. I didn't pull the Buzzz SS out much, but I just never needed to. Best shot was about 280' out from a hard par 3. Pin is set low in the ground in a bowl. I snapped the buzz hard and it went dead.nuts.straight, maybe 8' off the ground, LASER. It bounced up off the lip of the bowl and jumped at the chains. It didn't make it, but I've never seen a disc jump straight like that before. It was waiting for me under the pin.

Fairways: Leos and TBs. I got a DX Leo from a guy who just had it in his trunk the night before. I took one shot with it before the round, and used it of the tee a few times to navigate right-curving shots. The disc immediately made sense and I had no trouble picking release angles for it.
The Teebirds were the real stars though. I should have used them on a few more holes in retrospect, but I had a ~25' birdie look on a 360' hole, and took at least a 330' wide-hyzer-route-happy-accident-late-release-shot to be parked under a 280' hole for a tap in.

Drivers: MOLF. Hands down a few of my longest drives on a couple of the tough holes. I'm having trouble with my SOLF though. I try to throw it the same, but it comes up way short vs. the MOLF. It might be something mental, but it always looks like there's just a lack of glide adn it drops at 300'. My bomb drives with the MOLF were ~370'.

I played MA3 and got 6th, 100% do to with my mental game. :\

Well, cool. Everything's in flux again! I am pulling better on my drives, though a little more inconsistent because of some form changes. It'll settle back down. But, I've disced down some more, which feels pretty cool. I'm getting ~340' with Teebirds and Leopards and using mids out closer to 300. A year ago I was getting 240 with mids, 280 with fairways and maybe, well, my first post in this thread says I was average 330' with Beasts.

I forgot how to putt though. I'm getting my elbow up all horizontal and pulling right. lower elbow = forward push that doesn't pull right at the hit. I always forget that bit!

So my bag's a mess - I'm pretty much using a bunch of Teebirds and Leos and an MOLF for max D. Had some really nice shots with my Rocs at leagues, and some crappy ones too. One is starting to turn already, and I'm thinking about just going back to my safe Discraft mids that don't change, but also don't get that juicy drift to the right or glide nearly as much. Tonight it was:

Putters SSS Wizards, Soft Wizard, beat Yeti
Mids a flat top DX Roc, 175g
Drivers 167g 12x Teebird, 166g Star Leo, ???g beat DX Leo, MOLF

I got some backup DX Leos on the way, the one I got is all ready for roller duty. I also got a couple C-P3s coming to check out for driving putter/slow mid stuff. My main Wizard really straightens out over 200, so I hope I can really crank these dead straight/pure hyzer lines.

My scores are all over the place lately; I could be +10 or set a new personal best on any given round. I hope it evens out soon. I'm trying to stay positive about my distance gains, I know these little breakthroughs come with awkward phases. I'm not really sure what I'm doing about max D. I've been kinda maxed at 340-360 for a couple years now - just with slower and slower drivers.

Here's a little tip I give people who are having trouble putting.

when you get to your marker hold your feet and body in the position as if you are on a skateboard. So basically if you were to hold both of your arms out you could draw a line from your arms to the middle of the pole.

The next step. while in this position before you start you pre putt routine you need to make sure you have plenty of room to swing your arm.If you can't swing your disc back comfortably then your going to miss that putt 90% of the time.

After doing all this you can create your own routine to go along with this.

A better way to get a picture of what I'm talking about, go on Youtube and watch the best Putter of all time Ken Climo before he starts his routine. He clears himself some room to give his arm a good clean swing. I do this everytime and I'm 85% to 90% within the circle and most of the time it's a height issue when I miss.

One other thing. Some people can get way with doing this if they are a spin type putter,who can push from the chest and can make the putt. When your off though doing this type of style you are off.

the good thing with the Climo type style you can still be off a little bit and hit chains and it go in.

Just found the video.

There are 2 more parts.

It's a bit fast,but you can catch Climo giving himself space before he putts. I tell people if you want to get good at Putting watch Climo.

yeah, I pitch when I'm in close or have to straddle, but mostly I push/spin from the hip. Lately I've been slacking and bringing the disc from my diaphragm with my elbow out > instead of down, so my humerus will be straight a bit before the hit, pulling it to the right. With my elbow down, it pushes the disc on line.

When I get to my marker, I stand normal with my lead foot at the mark, disc out. I fall straight back and sort of "cock" my arm back and catch myself on my back leg. I eye the pole with my disc in the foreground as I fall, looking to keep the pole on center/slightly left of center. I might push forward and fall back again to check the line. I'm looking to make sure my back leg pushes on line and my arm extends on line. I shift my weight forward slowly at first and then pop the disc as I get my weight onto my front leg. When it's good, it's slow and deliberate and I'm hitting metal out to 50' and most everything inside the circle.

It ain't Climo, tho, that's for sure. I use a pitch (Feldberg style) 15' and in, getting slowly acclimated to it.

I use a Pitch when I'm that close as well. I still keep my body the same it's just I bring the disc close to my right leg and just give it a small pitch.

When I'm out beyond that I'm getting it more close to my left hip and giving it a bigger pitch.I've gotten to where I can Pitch it outside of 35ft now. My putts drop like Climo's too. People get amazed when they see me putt. I'm thinking you better be amazed. lol :D :p

Ha! Yeah, I'm not sure if "amazed" wholly encompasses it. :D

I can practice puts to ~20' in my apt, and I got those to 90% last night, and feeling pretty smooth/automatic again. My misses were low/high/short but not to the right.

So many minor tweaks to my putting/midrange drives/driver drives, it's hard to keep up with them all at the same time. :\

Ha! Yeah, I'm not sure if "amazed" wholly encompasses it. :D

I can practice puts to ~20' in my apt, and I got those to 90% last night, and feeling pretty smooth/automatic again. My misses were low/high/short but not to the right.

So many minor tweaks to my putting/midrange drives/driver drives, it's hard to keep up with them all at the same time. :\

Yeah it can be overwhelming at times,but it will all come to you.

Another thing I forgot to add about my putts is I use my Abs to putt with,well that is where all the tension is. My body is completely still so I have no weight shift. It's pretty cool to watch me putt sometimes. Somedays I'm a machine and can't miss anything. Now if only my drives could be like that. :D

Tried a couple C-Line Discmania P3's. Both have poptop domes, weird feeling rounded rims, almost too "easy release". I had one good drive on the only appropriate hole for them at my home course. When I came around to it again (playing an extra 9 holes) there was some headwind and the disc turned a bit and faded eventually, but... eh. I'm not a fan of these at all.

It does seem to do really good rollers. I usually have bad luck throwing down hard rollers (FH or BH) with putters, but this guy is well balanced for it, hitting obstacles and maintaining spin afterward.

I still want a putter with fade. Next on my radar is the pro d Ringer or pro d Zone. Don't want ESP Zone level of fade, but something that finishes left when pushed past 200'.

Tried a couple C-Line Discmania P3's. Both have poptop domes, weird feeling rounded rims, almost too "easy release". I had one good drive on the only appropriate hole for them at my home course. When I came around to it again (playing an extra 9 holes) there was some headwind and the disc turned a bit and faded eventually, but... eh. I'm not a fan of these at all.

It does seem to do really good rollers. I usually have bad luck throwing down hard rollers (FH or BH) with putters, but this guy is well balanced for it, hitting obstacles and maintaining spin afterward.

I still want a putter with fade. Next on my radar is the pro d Ringer or pro d Zone. Don't want ESP Zone level of fade, but something that finishes left when pushed past 200'.

A Pro D Ringer turns into a pretty straight driving putter once worn in. When new it has a real nice fade. To me a Ringer is more of a putting putter than a driving putter.

Now the Pro D Zone wears in nicely and once it gets to that stage it stays that way. It become a good straight putting driver with a decent amount of fade.

On the other hand the Pure is a really good straight putter with some fade. Not as much as a Pro D Zone,but the Opto Line has some great distance and good control off the tee. They are my favorite driving putters. I use 3. :D

I've got Opto Pures. I set them aside for two reasons. Opto sucks when it's wet, and mold minimization. They are absolutely one of my favorite discs and I throw them in my bag as a 'form check' disc and one disc rounds. In calm conditions they have the HSS I'm looking for. The fade is pretty light but they hold microhyzers with a clean release to make up for it. They're okay in some wind if you hyzer flip and plan for them to finish straight/right.

Wizards are great when fresh, but it doesn't take long til they get that seasoned-putter-drift.

I don't like the feel of concave Zones (only had an ESP one tho), which is weird cuz I really like the feel of Yetis. I think if I go Zone, I'll go Z or sparkle Z, one of the flattop, less beastly ones. I know a lot of guys who use them well... but I think golf is more fun when I throw as few Big Dumb Hyzers (BDH's) as possible. :D

I think if I were smart, I would just power down on a mid for those shots to keep things simple.

Powering down is cool and all,but I like getting the most out of my discs. Sometimes I power down,but not often. This is just me though so don't take this as gospel. lol

I got a buddy who Powers down Buzzz's all the time and they work very well for him. He never drives with putters. Says he just can't get a feel for it.

The Zone I have is concave and that thing is really beefy. Even perfectly worn in it's still beefy. I use it on a ton of shots though.

Remember how we was talking about my putting style. Well I figured out how to properly use a weight shift. You can read my story in my thread about my bag if you want.

Burchfield or Deerfield anybody?

Was thinking about hitting one of these locations tomorrow.
Anybody game to meet up?
:popcorn:

^ post fail - wrong thread. :doh:
too many windows open.

Latest posts