• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting close...

I played 2 rounds at Victory Park. I slipped from 2nd to 16th with a terrible second round, tons of OB strokes. And then my friends and I made the intelligent decision to play a third round! With beers!
I lost:
Round 1
beat ESP Comet :(
Round 2
Pro Leopard
Atom
Round 3
Buzzz OS

I'm not sad about losing discs, but about taking 3x OB strokes on one hole and taking 4 holes to recover my composure.

I gained:
Z Comet - BIG DOME, 167-169g, bright pink w/rainbow stamp.
CFR JL Thunderbird, 171g, glassy blue.
CFR JL Thunderbird, 168g, dayglo
CFR Pro Destroyer (player pack)
CFR Torrent (player pack) idkwtf I'm going to do with a Torrent.

I took the Comet and dayglo Thunderbird for the third round. My buddy told me the Thunderbird would be more overstable than an SPD, but... not even close. It had some HST with a very reliable late fade. High speed PPD, low speed SPD. I've been looking for this flight for a long time.

I'm still in a putting slump. Been doing a lot of 15' at home, which is about the most I can get inside. I'm still lacking confidence on the course. A few weeks ago I was in a great place with putting. It's so weird. A lot of putts leave me thinking "A fresh Wizard would've gone in."

I had a dream where I was grabbing my bag, and left my putters behind and grabbed some weird embossed stamp Hunters with a grip like a leather basketball. I was surprised that it's a real disc, I don't pay much attention to Legacy. I might pick up a couple Gravity Hunters!

Happy with my Thunderbirds. The day glo just goes on the line, maybe a bit of right movement, 300-320 then fades. Great for my arm/staying in the fairway. I haven't thrown the blue in normal conditions, just into headwind and hyzer shots and it is as HSS as I expected from the mold. These slot right in where an SPD goes and overlap too much with the QOLF.

Firebirds > CPD > Thunderbirds > PPDs > Roadrunners :thmbup:

Like the set up.

As for the confidence...give it some time. Everyone goes through ups and downs, especially with putting. I had a friend who gave me great putting advice (he is a great putter), "just make sure you always hit metal. Even if it doesn't go in, you're in line and if you miss most of the time it will just be knocked down for a drop in."

I have made this my goal all the time and it really helps. Yeah there are times that it seems like all I do is hit metal, and it's frustrating, till I realize that I'm not blowing past the basket and out of my comfort range.

Keep it up, because you got this $#!%.

Thanks. :hfive: It's just weird to get into a comfortable routine and then go out one day and suddenly it's... wait.. . how do I putt again?

I'm taking a little more time to aim now, and I'm sure I'll get back to a point where I can just trust my form. I've had some decent rounds this week, 3-5 strokes below my average. Most of that is due to playing boring fairway golf and putting my upshots inside 15'.

Put the biscuit in the basket lol. I find people tend to really over think their putts. My evidence for that is you think about how a new putter would have gone in, and you dreamed about getting a new putter. I am no pro but I am very very good at putting. Line your body up center to the pole. Take a quick breath. And let her fly.

I know personally the only time I really ever miss is when I start over thinking the putt. Last little bit of evidence I have is Shoestrings and Wysocki. Ricky is one of the best putters on the tour if not the best. He walks up and seemingly just slings it as soon as he reaches his lie. Schusterick on the other hand can be painful to watch sometimes and you clearly see him over thinking it taking forever to putt. He will than miss and walk up to the new lie (most times just as far out as his first) and hit the come backer without thinking at all. Just a thought.

Whenever I catch myself missing I always wind up hearing in my head Squints from sandlot lol. "If you weren't thinking, you wouldn't of thought that." And it usually straightens right out.

I mean, I have a lot of dreams that amplify unimportant things in life. It's better than my usual DG related dreams where it's a nice sunny day, and things are going well and... hey, has anyone seen my bag??! Or maybe just my pants?!

I'm always pretty amused when someone with a Geoff Bennett type of set up just cages one hard. I try not to take that long, but if a few more seconds lets my brain lock in on the chains then why not. I'm rarely really thinking about it, just waiting for the "okay, yeah, I got this" feeling. Sometimes it's there and sometimes I make the shot when its not. It's really great when it feels automatic, one of the things I enjoy most about playing.

I like your description of the thunderbird. I just got a champ the otherday and waiting to give her a run. I love my spds and have been wondering where it would fall in line with the pd.

Bah! I lost my awesome straight dayglo Thunderbird under some leaves today. I bent up my straight PPD yesterday - it's not so straight any more.

In good news, I made a lot of putts today, and put up a -5 at Fitzgerald. Tie for my PR.

I have a friend picking up a couple more Champ ThBirds. Maybe one will be less HSS, or maybe I'll get a text on the one I lost. In the meantime, back to beating in the S-PD, or maybe one of my 1.1 SOLFs. I got all them Firebird frankendiscs.

Putters:
Wizards (naturally). I've been trying some fresh ones, SSS and S, both with the "velvety" texture. I think the Soft pair might win out. Now I just need to remember how to putt! Lost 4+ strokes last night due to missed putts - most low.

Approach: Low profile FTW.
Zone
Envy
Proxy

Mids:
Buzzz OS
Z Wasp
Z Buzzz - new addition. Mixed into some recent (2013-14) CFR runs are some that are inexplicably bottom ghost stamped. They've got some extra beef.
10yr Buzzz - straight Buzzz
BigZ Buzzz - anhyzer Buzzz
Z Comet max weight - straight shots/anhyzer shots
Z Comet 170-172g - turnovers

Fairway: I put some slower fairways in my bag. Teebirds are king, but they still overlap with my PDs.
CryZtal Stalker - Slower Teebird flight
Z Stalker - very neutral disc with a late fade.
Z Glide - NEW mold for me. I expected a kind-of understable Leopard type disc, but this is truly a utility disc and I've found a lot of good uses for it. I'm excited to try some approach/shorter BH rollers with it, I think it'll be perfect.

Utility Drivers
Star Roadrunner - primarily for distance rollers, occasional turnover airshot.
[usually] Star Roadrunner - Newer, harder to roll for me. Hyzerflips and tailwinds.
Champ Firebird w/Dome - Backhand firebird
Star FAF Firebird - utility shots

Workhorse Drivers
Champ Thunderbird - If it's very windy I'll put my CFD back in, but the Thunderbird is o/s for most of my needs and if I need something more I have Firebirds. It's very close to my SPD, but I like the plastic/grip better.
1.1 SOLF - Slight hyzerflip and a very late fade. I hope a trashed Thunderbird flies like this. I have a few laying around and it's pretty much a PPD that won't warp on a few holes with near and present trees.
PPD - bit warped from treehits, more turn and still fades.
PPD - no warps, just beat. Mainly used for open distance and tailwinds.
Proton Insanity - holy hyzerflips, I didn't think there'd be an MVP driver I liked. This guy is standing in for my fresh Roadrunner slot, and I'm finding it pretty easy to control the hyzer for straight/turnover even keeping it on a hyzer. I think it's also going to be a killer roller disc.

I was thinking "it'd be great if this was a bit more stable..." but I'm pretty sure my SOLF is just fine for that. I can't say I'm not curious about the Wrath now.

My drivers are a bit muddy at the moment. I almost need something between the Thunderbird and SOLF, and fewer things between the SOLF and Insanity/Roadrunners.

Little different. Northern Michigan vacation bag!

Bag: Innova Standard.

Putter: SS Wizard. A fresh, firm Wizard.

Approach: Envy/Proxy.

Mids: Buzzz OS, Wasp, Big Z Buzzz, Meteor

Fairway: Glide, Stalker

Drivers: Insanity, Wrath, Firebird.

I played a couple of OK rounds with this setup. I've been having nose angle issues with the skinny MVP drivers. Low flat shots are beautiful, but high stalls are very ugly. Overall I enjoyed my Michigan (and a Firebird) bag! 10/10, would go on vacation again.

I've had some shifts in my bag in the summer, but settled back in with all my old friends.

Putters: 2x Soft Wizards (SS flex, velvety grip)

Mids: Buzzz OS, Wasp, 10yr Buzzz, Big Z Buzzz, mx wt Z Comet, 167-169 Z Comet, Z Glide (tweener mid/fairway)

Fairways: FD2, Star Teebird, Champ TL (just came today!), Pro Leopard

Drivers: FAF Star Firebird (lost mine, found an exact replacement on Ebay, right down to 166g!) domed Champ FB, champ Thunderbird, 3x P-PD, 2x Star Roadrunner.

Thanks. :hfive: It's just weird to get into a comfortable routine and then go out one day and suddenly it's... wait.. . how do I putt again?

Sorta like putting 'yips' in real golf. One idea that may (or may not) help is to take a completely different putter, different weight, etc., and use it for a round or two. Makes your brain think about it. Then you go back to the original putter and it's like "ahhh..." Works for me, anyway, YMMV.

That TL did some good work for me this weekend. New disc in my bag, but after one throw I knew what it would do. I used it on a few holes where I needed to power down to hit the line and hold a subtle hyzer, and for a few pinpoint placement shots. If anything, I should've used it more! A few anny shots with my Leonard just held and held. I thought I was more exhausted than I really was and disced down/stabled down more than I needed.

Definitely have the yips and haven't been playing enough to get back into a routine. Made a few big putt this weekend and missed more than a few dumb ones in the circle. Had a 380' toss with my P-PD for an in-the-circle look at two and missed two 25-footers for a four. :/ One of those things that won't get fixed until I take the time to work on it, and time is in low supply!

Been getting into modding my guitar gear and haven't bought a disc or changed my bag in a while. It's been working great.

Putting: Wizards
I seem to be working my way back into a good putting routine. It's not the same as my old one, but in is in!

Approach:
Proxy, Envy, [Honey/Zone]

Mids:
167 Comet, 177 Comet, Big Z Buzzz, 10yr Buzzz, Wasp, Buzzz OS - All Z plastic.

Fairway:
Z Glide, [GL River/Pro Leopard], Champ TL, Star Teebird, C-FD2
The *Teebird and TL are pretty close, might switch to a Champ TB for my next round. It's going to fly more than a little bit different.

Utility:
Star Roadrunner (beat), Star Roadrunner, Champ FB (dome), Star FB (FLAT)

Distance:
very seasoned PPD, pretty darn seasoned PPD, fresh PPD, Champ Thunderbird.
The middle seasoned PPD has been a distance machine - a long turn but not too much horizontal movement.

6 months later - no changes!

Disc of the year (new to MY bag) for 2015: Discraft Glide
Most reliable slow, understable disc. Admirably covers my DX Leopard or "slow Roadrunner" slot. A lot of folks treat it like a mid, but put it on a strong hyzerflip and see what happens.
Also got my first 300'+ ace with it on a ridiculous (but planned) sky turnover line.

Putters:
no change.

Mids are a different mix after losing a Comet and Wasp, and there are more of them for winter golf:
177+g Z Comet (the MOST STABLE Comet), 164g Z FLX Buzzz (less stable than my Comet), Big Z, 10yr, Fresh Z Wasp, Used Z Wasp, Buzzz OS.

Fairway:
Trying an X-out CFD for the understable slot, will probably go back to Pro Leos? Leopard3? I've never been 100% happy with this slot, except with perfectly beat Pro Leos that I ALWAYS LOSE.

Utility:
My beat RR can go back in now that the snow has melted (it's white)

Distance:
Really put a beat on my middle P-PD this winter, it's in (good) Sidewinder territory - time to do some work on the fresh one and cycle a new one in.

Cheers!

Well shoot, nothing like a 7 years later update. I'm a full on casual these days. Talking <10 rounds/year. For my lack of playing I haven't lost (or gained) any distance. Upshots though: woof!

Putters: Wizards

Mids: Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, Buzzz OS

Slow fairways: Pro Leo, Leo 3, TL, TL3 #Woah, something new. Flies like a Teebird, so maybe not.

Utility: Same Roadrunner, and my "understable" Firebird. 12x pearly champ with some flex and dome.

Fast fairways*: Pro PDs, Champ Sidewinder, Champ Thunderbird

* after a few years of light playing, definitely feeling the overlap between 7/9 speed - especially in the straight/stable workhorse slot. If I have my Thunderbird, I rarely reach for Teebirds, and they perform pretty similarly for me. And if they don't, there are zero consequences and I'm having a good time.

One thing I've never been able to fix is RHFH - I can flick a Leopard down a tunnel, but I can never do good work with a TL or Teebird vs PD or Thunderbird.

MVP taking over my mids.

Glide is in for guaranteed low power flip. Might try an uplink here.
Hex is a good buzzz. It's gotten a little squirrelly after the first few rounds, but pretty sure it's a form issue. Over rotating into a slight anny without enough height for a mid.
Reactor, 166 and 176. These are what I expected from the pyro. Stable and far. Feels better than my wasps.
Pyro. Thought this was going to be straighter, but it took over my Buzzz OS and is better at being decidedly overstable.

Did an MVP circuit this weekend. Not a great mix of discs, very overstable, even the servo considering the short holes in play. None will make the bag. The tempo was the most interesting, and it's overstable. The entropy seems like a safer bet. I go for that slot when I need to come up short and hyzer. Tempo is too fast and workable. Lots of folks will like it.

Fully embracing a Buy-and-Try phase this summer.. These aren't all in my bag, but swapping stuff out every week for fun.

Putters - lots because they are thrown more than mids and drivers.
Proxy - current one is eclipse. Got my first ace since 2015 with it yesterday. Most used disc.
Ohm - more turn than my beat envy, more fade than my fresh Proxy. Really minor gap to fill but it feels the same in my hand.
Envy - Proton from 2014/15. It lost some fade and will turn a touch at 230+ power or headwind.
Envy - Fresh eclipse. Speed 3 teebird.
Entropy - zone clone. I don't mind the depth and it always fades on straight-to-fade shots. Zones sometimes just go straight.

Mids - feeling shaky here. I can feel Comet/Buzzz/Wasp calling me to go back. Really missing the Wasp slot for a really hss but not dumpy mid.
Theory - MVP comet. OOP tho and there's overlap with the Proxy.
Hex - Proton and Eclipse. Hex go straight.
Reactor - I loved my 166g for a couple rounds, but it didn't stay HSS. It will flip up more than a Hex now. Even a 176 turns a bit. Might try a matrix.
Pyro - it's overstable. More BuzzzOS than Wasp.

Fairway - Lost my familiarity with Leopards. Sometimes straight, sometimes turn forever.
Crave - 164 and 170+ Proton. They flip up and fade at 300+ Worried they'll lose a bit of stability fast like some of the mids did, but for now I'm digging them. Lost one already, bought more. XD
Servo - from the Circuit challenge. "Crave OS". Wish my TL flew like this. Really like it as my 'disc up' forehand for 200-250.

Control - Chaos.
Roadrunner - 10+years, roller and big ol turnover. Never leaving.
Firebird - 12x, gummy champ, mild firebird. Never leaving.
Then there's everything in between:
I had been cycling PPDs. They went OOP but now I-Blend Romans are a thing. Pro Thunderbirds are good too. 🤷
I love Innovas 9 speed range - Thunderbird, Valk, Sidewinder, Roadrunner
I really like just Valks. Halo and Pro. Pro are pretty stable to start and the current blend is really good. Would be a lot like cycling PPDs.
I have a soft spot for Vikings. The artist series from the pro shop are almost a 'better valkyrie' Less stable than most of my valks. I have a beat one that does the slooooowest turnover.
They all feel about the same unless you get a rando +rim. No idea what combo to settle on or cycle to commit to.

I could also drop them entirely - except the RR and FB - and just run Fairways (add a Teebird) and Distance. Decision for another day.

Distance - Trying a bunch of things but there's not much distance separation from my 9 speeds and less control. Some times I leave them all out.
Shryke - chaotic distance. Super fun to throw but finnicky.
Falcon - tried some as a 'more stable Shryke' but they are a lot more stable. Pro are a little workable, similar to the Wraiths but bigger rim. Will come back to these as form improves.
Wraiths - 11speed rim is comfy. Again, pro plastic is awesome this year. I should commit to cycling pro or just beating in a star.
Archon - when's the last time you saw one of these? The F2's are still coming from a pile of x-out PROTO STAMPS. But they're flying like a seasoned Wraith with pretty reliable turn and fade and good control.
Grace - I threw my buddy's grace like 380 straight-to-fade as a warm up shot yesterday. That's a wrench in the gears. 165-170g are rare.

And I hear MVP discs are being made with Dome now. Domey Waves will probably be $$. My buddy's going to get me a Scorch. I should settle in with the Archons, but new discs are too fun.

Latest posts