• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow Discs

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I think it's about time I played some night golf. I was wondering which discs have the best glow. I just bought a Gateway Glow E-Saber without even knowing what the disc does. Anyone have experience with this disc or with how well it glows? I also bought this Blackjax lighted disc that looks like a midrange or possibly fairway driver that has light-veins and a large battery pack in the middle. It looks like it will majorly affect its flight and will probably break on the first hard landing.

So what are the best glow discs? Do they make a Glow Buzzz?

Discraft Discontinued its Photon Glow Plastic. I was not all that impressed by its ability to glow or its flight in the XL and Stratus. My suggestions is to get some LED lights (blackjack or otherwise) and attach them to a clear disc (Champion or Elite Z).

Not sure if the Buzzz was ever in Glow. They had a few Z buzzzes in glow for the 2009 Am Nats fundraiser, but those look to be all gone.

Discraft Discontinued its Photon Glow Plastic. I was not all that impressed by its ability to glow or its flight in the XL and Stratus. My suggestions is to get some LED lights (blackjack or otherwise) and attach them to a clear disc (Champion or Elite Z).

I agree with the recommendation that you get LED lights but not the BlackJax discs, those things suck. Instead use the micro fishing LED lights that you can find at most sporting goods stores or online. These little lights on the underside of a Champion plastic disc are perfect for night disc golf.

If you are going to use glow int he dark plastic, pick up a UV LED flashlight like this one. The UV light will charge up the glow plastic quickly and brightly, plus UV lights are great for finding lost glow discs at night (and scorpions).

I agree with the recommendation that you get LED lights but not the BlackJax discs, those things suck. Instead use the micro fishing LED lights that you can find at most sporting goods stores or online. These little lights on the underside of a Champion plastic disc are perfect for night disc golf.

If you are going to use glow int he dark plastic, pick up a UV LED flashlight like this one. The UV light will charge up the glow plastic quickly and brightly, plus UV lights are great for finding lost glow discs at night (and scorpions).

Thanks for those links. How do you go about attaching the LED's to the disc? Just with some duck tape? I saw one guy one the course that drilled a hole through the center of his disc to attach a light to it...umm, no thanks.

attach with a very small piece of duct tape or clear packing tape. I prefer duct tape beacuse you can take off the light and put it on another disc during round without having to change piece of tape every time. duct tape stays sticky and can be reused quite a bit actually

i got lights that you put a hole in the disc. It stays in good i bought on at scheels for like 7 bucks. Can't remember the brand will list when i get my car back bags in the car.:(

They did make a photon glo buzzz, I know because I have one. Very soft, just as bad if not worse than D plastic. Luckily I bought it to be a turnover buzzz.

Thanks for those links. How do you go about attaching the LED's to the disc? Just with some duck tape? I saw one guy one the course that drilled a hole through the center of his disc to attach a light to it...umm, no thanks.

Personally, I use clear packing tape on mine because it allows the light to be visible from both sides of the disc. You don't want to lose a disc because it landed upside down. I also have about a dozen of these little LEDs so I don't really need to switch the lights onto other discs.

Don't drill a hole in your disc.

Personally, I use clear packing tape on mine because it allows the light to be visible from both sides of the disc. You don't want to lose a disc because it landed upside down. I also have about a dozen of these little LEDs so I don't really need to switch the lights onto other discs.

Don't drill a hole in your disc.

Chris , where do you get these lights, how much, and how many do you use on each disc? I want to join you guys for a night round in a couple of weeks.

Chris , where do you get these lights, how much, and how many do you use on each disc? I want to join you guys for a night round in a couple of weeks.

I got mine from Academy in the fishing section near the bobbers. The last time I went to Academy they had three packs of the tiny LED lights with tape in the disc golf section of the store. These lights are the same as the ones I use.

Here's a site to buy or look at them online.

They only made 100 of those elite z glow buzzz's, and I was lucky enough to be able to add one to my glow bag. If they ever make them again, buy one up. It is the brightest glowing disc in my bag, and the second to longest glowing, the only one that glows longer is the Glowfly from DGA (another great discontinued glow disc). There are lots of great glow plastic out there, but most of the good stuff takes some work to get.

I bought a couple DX Glow Innova discs and one glow wizard and neither of them worked very well. The Innova's were horrible but the Wizard as long as you kept running the flashlight over it, it stayed lit but it was very dim. I have not tried the Discraft glo discs, but i would recommend 1 inch glow sticks or LEDs.

My suggestions is to get some LED lights (blackjack or otherwise) and attach them to a clear disc (Champion or Elite Z).

This is what I'm trying to do. I bought so LED component lights, and some button batteries. Attach two LED's to the battery and attach to a champion or similar plastic with some clear packing tape. I'm going to try it out this weekend.

Here is the site I got the idea from.

I have been doing glow golf for years, and I think I have it down. Check out the thread "Best way to Glow" I have listed the pros and cons of glow golf.

Regular packaging tape is not the best choice. It does not stretch. When your disc hits a tree, whatever you have affixed will come off.

The "click on" leds work great, but they are very expensive, and very unreliable. They (some) dont stay lit because the on/off switch is cheeeesey.

If you use the 2025/2032 3 volt button cells, be sure to tape BOTH sides of the battery. Red Leds use the least amount of juice, and they are the brightest. Blue/white leds are 3.6 volt, and will light with a 3v button cell, but not for long. I like the 2025 cells because the leds fit on them better. they are also 3/4 gram lighter.

Check out the other thread.

So I threw around my Blackjax Quest LED and the Glow Saber a little bit last night, but was only using around 50% power so I can't really tell how they fly. One thing I could tell though, was how much cooler the Quest looked flying through the air. I don't really like it's plastic...it seems oily and slick and the dome was a little lopsided, but it sure as hell looked cool!

So I think I'm going to put LED's on discs I already have. Do y'all tape them to the center? I think they'd look better as close to the rim as possible with different colored lights on either side to balance it out. Would that affect its flight much I wonder? Now I need to get some clear cryZtal discs.

So I threw around my Blackjax Quest LED and the Glow Saber a little bit last night, but was only using around 50% power so I can't really tell how they fly. One thing I could tell though, was how much cooler the Quest looked flying through the air. I don't really like it's plastic...it seems oily and slick and the dome was a little lopsided, but it sure as hell looked cool!

So I think I'm going to put LED's on discs I already have. Do y'all tape them to the center? I think they'd look better as close to the rim as possible with different colored lights on either side to balance it out. Would that affect its flight much I wonder? Now I need to get some clear cryZtal discs.

I throw a lot of turnover plastic anyway, so I like the added instability. Yes they look cool when placed toward the rim. Using two on opposite sides (different colors) is even cooler.

One thing about night golf is you can really see when your disc runs out of spin. And to all the folks that have not tried glow.....it is harder to lose a disc at night!!! Depending on your course, you can see everyone's lie from the tee, not so in the day. Land in tall grass or under some leaves in the day, and it can be a lost disc.

UV (blacklight) really lights up certain colors/plastic.

Latest posts