• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to Duluth, MN

Bones2039

Par Member
I'm heading up to Duluth with some friends September 5-8 to visit breweries and play some disc golf. Well, they are going for The beer but I'm going for the disc golf!

The basic plan is to head out from the St. Cloud area on the 5th, stop and finally get around to playing blue ribbon pines on the way up if possible. That is as far as my planning has gotten.

Anyone know what courses are worth playing in the Duluth area in early September? I'm fine driving a bit from there if the course is worth it. My friends might not like it, but as I'm driving so they won't have a choice. Disc golf > beer in my book but they would have it the other way. We are rec players, just looking for fun yet challenging courses for us.

Do a morning at mont du lac, down to canal park for lunch and drinks, then Lincoln Park maybe 2 rounds.

White cedar at mont du lac is my favorite course I have ever played. Might be a little much if your friends aren't down for a whole day type thing. It's hard and demanding, especially the back half. They put in a new woodsy seeming course called hunters meadows or something that looks cool also, I have not played it though.

Carleton disc golf sanctuary was fun. Woods and tight lines and such.

Have heard the quarry is worth it, also.

If you drive north a bit you have a lot in the hibbing area that are supposed to be awesome.

Options!

You'll be driving past Chain's Edge on the way, just so you know.

In Duluth, your best course options are going to be extremely rugged, challenging courses:

Mont Du Lac
White Cedar- wooded and elevation, this course is a beast
Eagle's Peak- open, but with extreme elevation, both WC and EP are ankle breakers
Hidden Meadows- the most tame course at MDL
Spirit Mountain- not as rugged as MDL but still a hike, wooded and elevation

Other in town or nearby options include:

Carlton Disc Golf Sanctuary- wooded, technical, pretty rough around the edges and hard to navigate
UMD- park course and suitable for putter rounds
Lincoln Park- I really didn't like this one too much, its in a busy park
Miller Creek/LSC- I think this one gets pretty overgrown during the summer otherwise it would be a great option
Quarry- I've heard this is completely overgrown

Just want to say thanks to those that suggested courses. Got back home about 2 hours ago. Made it to Quarry Park, Lincoln Park, and Miller Creek in Duluth. Wanted to get to Mont Du Lac but just didn't find time.

I liked Quarry a lot, except for when I missed finding the short tee for 8 and followed a path that took me too close to the edge of the top of the quarry for my liking(It worked out, I got a 2 after I was done freaking out).

Lincoln Park was the low light of the trip. Had a guy who was either high or didn't understand English wandering around on hole 1, a homeless person taking a bath in the creek by 2, random clothing around 3's tee, and a couple parked right by 5's pin making out in a car. Couldn't find hole 9 and by that point we just were done.

Would definitely play Miller Creek again. Fun little course. Wasn't too overgrown but can see it get there in mid summer.

Had a really good time in Duluth and hope to get back to that area again. Mont Du Lac is still a place I'd like to get to. Probably play Miller Creek and the Quarry again too.

Latest posts