• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf is dead.

I don't know a golfer that doesn't know the type of golf ball he/she just hit. Usually they have a unique mark on them too (at least mine do). I would just pocket the other three balls and hit my own.

They do pick up all the balls but almost always shoot from the longest. But my post was more in jest. A little dig at the golf vs. disc golf theme. I mean why fight over something just because you prefer it over something else. For instance I hate apples but love oranges. Do I think apples need to die just because I prefer oranges? No, because I know they can coexist. But the golf is dead is more humor than a slam in my eyes. I support anything that garners recognition of our sport unless it's just heinous or illegal. This isn't either.

They do pick up all the balls but almost always shoot from the longest. But my post was more in jest. A little dig at the golf vs. disc golf theme. I mean why fight over something just because you prefer it over something else. For instance I hate apples but love oranges. Do I think apples need to die just because I prefer oranges? No, because I know they can coexist. But the golf is dead is more humor than a slam in my eyes. I support anything that garners recognition of our sport unless it's just heinous or illegal. This isn't either.

Why are apples and oranges used as a metaphor for something vastly dissimilar? I mean, they're both fruit, both round, both sweet, they're roughly the same weight and diameter, and they both grow from trees. Wouldn't a better saying be "as different as apples and leprous ninjas"??? On another note, I wish you would try your golf thing with me on the disc golf course. I'll throw my disc, you run out and throw down 3 identical ones then run away.:D

I used to do the golf things in high school when we were drunk and bored. Didn't even play disc golf and I was already waging the war. Lol. That would be an awesome way to get people their discs for secret Santa though. How are apples and oranges not vastly dissimilar? I mean apples are the route of all evil. If you don't believe me read the old testament. And oranges are the very picture of awesomeness. I feel like I'm biting into heaven. Also the two sports are pretty similar; drivers, putters, par, fore!!, tees(don't get this name because we don't actually use tees in dg).

I play ball golf and disc golf. Love them both. Can't see why we would have to distance ourselves from them since we already play tournaments on their courses...

You're point being? Nobody shops in a vacuum. I'm sure you don't always go to the site/store unseen and shop purely on price point. Previous experience, marketing (positive and negative), branding, customer service, and price all figure into your decisions, whether deliberately or subliminally. It's a initial marketing effort to generate buzz and initial purchases which (assuming the experience is good and repeatable) create a customer base and repeat business.

Point being that this type of marketing generally does not bode well for making a new company last for very long. Good for a lucky quick buck, mostly. The few who manage to substantiate and find a foothold seem to have pretty large ebbs and flows over time. "Provacative" is what they just called it themselves, which is exactly what it is.

Can you think of any similar provocateurs who have been around long? Fear This, maybe? The Suave shower commercials? Seems like they all die out pretty quick, because people get into the quick fad attention buzz and then tire of it, and that happens more often with approaches that involve negativity of whatever sort (here, I guess it might be the skull-n-crossbones for some, the perceived bashing of another sport for others). If it stays profitable enough, there will usually be a small group of core customers, but if the business doesn't thrive then it goes stagnant and dies. It happens so much, especially when your demographic (intended or not) is a youthful crowd. Just look at the BMX companies...fantastic example.

Last edited:
Should disc golf change its name to 'Frisbee Basketball' to distance ourselves from a dying game? I'm not sure but I like the new name.

Golf is Dead,

The beginning of your Declaration of Independence should say "Too many" instead of "To many". I didn't read the whole thing, that just caught my attention.

I wish your company the best.

I used to do the golf things in high school when we were drunk and bored. Didn't even play disc golf and I was already waging the war. Lol. That would be an awesome way to get people their discs for secret Santa though. How are apples and oranges not vastly dissimilar? I mean apples are the route of all evil. If you don't believe me read the old testament. And oranges are the very picture of awesomeness. I feel like I'm biting into heaven. Also the two sports are pretty similar; drivers, putters, par, fore!!, tees(don't get this name because we don't actually use tees in dg).

The apple was actually one super holy apple. The snake was the evil one, right? I'll stop derailing the valid thread now. ;) Ryan P - Good catch- those kind of simple grammatical errors really throw people off, especially the first word of their mission statement and all..

Golf is Dead, ... I wish your company the best.
Thanks! And the best to you as well.

The beginning of your Declaration of Independence should say "Too many" instead of "To many". I didn't read the whole thing, that just caught my attention.
It's correct as is - "To many people, bolder and more inspiring words.." as in, "In many people's minds...".

Now, "Too many people..." we aren't advocating the literal extinction of a sport, much less any kind of population control :D

^^^:thmbup::thmbup:

For those hating on Golf Is Dead I challenge you to do better.

(And we're talking about real golf, not EA Sports Tiger Woods, right?)

Woo hoo hoo. Look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.

See what I did? ;)

Hah. I just started thinking.. What is going to happen when DGers start wearing these to disc/ball golf courses. I can foresee some incredibly pissed off old white guys.

Hah. I just started thinking.. What is going to happen when DGers start wearing these to disc/ball golf courses. I can foresee some incredibly pissed off old white guys.

What course are you playing where old white guys would be pissed at something anyone was wearing? Its disc golf not the country club...

Woo hoo hoo. Look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.

See what I did? ;)

Yes, Miracle Max, I see what you did there.

Latest posts